Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob question - firmware update frequency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pemple

Sep 10, 2020
US
I’m 10 days in and on 2020.39.103 along with 4 other folks in the world according to TeslaFi vs. 8,809 on 2020.48.10. How frequently do you see an update pushed to your cars normally or isn’t there a pattern? I check each day which isn’t probably unhealthy! Not sure if you normally see these each week, month, or quarter.

I searched for the answer here but couldn’t find it. TIA.

There is no real pattern.

The .103 version is typically what is on the car when it is initially delivered. it took a day or two for me to get the first update - but 10 days in nothing to worry about.

generally I would say you get an update roughly once a month on average - but it could be 3 months, it could be 3 days. Also others will be getting a new version and you get it when Tesla decide!

Best to turn on Software update notifications in your phone app and it will let you know

Reactions: Pemple
I’m 10 days in and on 2020.39.103 along with 4 other folks in the world according to TeslaFi vs. 8,809 on 2020.48.10. How frequently do you see an update pushed to your cars normally or isn’t there a pattern? I check each day which isn’t probably unhealthy! Not sure if you normally see these each week, month, or quarter.

I searched for the answer here but couldn’t find it. TIA.

Is your car connected to WiFi when parked? Ten days is a bit of a wait for the first update (i got my first update within a few hours of taking delivery), though it can vary widely. If nothing shows up in the next few days, use the Tesla app to ask service to push a software update.

Is your car connected to WiFi when parked? Ten days is a bit of a wait for the first update (i got my first update within a few hours of taking delivery), though it can vary widely. If nothing shows up in the next few days, use the Tesla app to ask service to push a software update.

Thanks - I connected it as soon as I got home. 4 bars and decent speed based on Speedtest.net. I wake the car each morning just by opening the app and don't see any notification there or when I am in the car. I'll maybe wait until Friday or even next week and then reach out.

Perhaps I should wait for the supposed big end of year release before asking!

Thanks - I connected it as soon as I got home. 4 bars and decent speed based on Speedtest.net. I wake the car each morning just by opening the app and don't see any notification there or when I am in the car. I'll maybe wait until Friday or even next week and then reach out.

Perhaps I should wait for the supposed big end of year release before asking!

I would just go ahead and ask anyway. Once you get past the initial update you should see a cadence of maybe 1-2 updates a month (most are just bug fixes).

Btw there is all sorts of “lore” about triggering updates, such as tapping the update button a few times. None of these have been shown to trigger anything.

Opened a service ticket explaining the issue and...thanks for the advice!

Tesla2.jpg.png

Reactions: Phlier and HighZ
It used to be that new cars were immediately put on the update list at delivery and your car was brought ‘current’. That was the days of personal service (and when all cars were S and X, lol). Now there are so many, it takes a while for the list to get updated. I suspect it’s batched and done once a week or so. When it does, you will get your first update. If you are impatient, you can put in a service ticket as above. :D

It used to be that new cars were immediately put on the update list at delivery and your car was brought ‘current’. That was the days of personal service (and when all cars were S and X, lol). Now there are so many, it takes a while for the list to get updated. I suspect it’s batched and done once a week or so. When it does, you will get your first update. If you are impatient, you can put in a service ticket as above. :D
I could pretend that I wasn’t impatient on the basis that I waited 10 days but the truth is that I was checking multiple times a day and then posted this!! I’m not even sure why I wanted the update...I just did. Thanks all.

I could pretend that I wasn’t impatient on the basis that I waited 10 days but the truth is that I was checking multiple times a day and then posted this!! I’m not even sure why I wanted the update...I just did. Thanks all.

That feeling never goes away. Must. Have. Latest. Software.

As a datapoint a few weeks ago the app notified of a software update despite the fact that my car was not on wifi and had not been for several days. It was, however, on constant sentry mode and not permitted to sleep.

My average is 15 days. However that number is misleading. I’ve had several updates come a day or so after a version to patch an issue.
The longest has been 50 days. I’d say the average new weekly build not a patch is about once every month.

I have my first service appointment tomorrow to take care of a couple delivery issues. Unfortunately, I’m stuck on 2020.39.103 because although I saw an update (2020.48.12.1) the same day I brought it home (23 Dec), the update failed and went away. Hopefully they can get that sorted out tomorrow. I assume there are some considerable updates from the 2020.39.103 version, but can’t find much info on it.