Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob question on charging at public charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for my ignorance. I have never used a public charging station or a tesla supercharger before, as I haven’t had the need to. I am planning to drive from Brisbane to Byron for a weekend, in my SR+, so will need a charge to get back. I’ve had a look on PlugShare, seems like there are some Tesla destination chargers around, which I assume are just like a home charger, and some EVLink stations.

For EVLink,1. do I need a type 2 to type 2 cable? Where is the best place to buy one?
2. I assume there are fees involved for using it, do I need to register first to be able to use it and for payment?
3. How fast does it charge?
For Tesla supercharger, how do I pay?
Thanks.

You can stop at the Gold Coast Supercharger on your way. You just plug in and the cost is charged to your Tesla Account.
At The Farm Byron Bay there are NRMA fast chargers that are currently free and appear to be working based on Plugshare.
If you want a Type 2 to Type 2 cable, I bought mine from JetCharge.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
All DC chargers (fast, Ultra-fast, superchargers from 50+kW) come with cables.

A portion of AC chargers are BYO cables and will require the Type2-2 mentioned above.

At a Tesla Supercharger the car is identified by VIN during the handshake and the Tesla account is charged.
At other third-party DC chargers you need to use an app or RFID card.
The two main billing networks for the east coast are Chargefox and Evie. NRMA DC chargers are currently free and don't need an app. The QLD Yurika/EV highway units use Chargefox.

Chargefox and Evie also do billing for some AC chargers. Others are free.

1. do I need a type 2 to type 2 cable? Where is the best place to buy one?
Personally I purchased this one: Type 2 EV Cable | 2 Year Warranty | EVSE | FREE Shipping

2. I assume there are fees involved for using it, do I need to register first to be able to use it and for payment?
Download the app when you get to the charger or tap your credit card, fairly straight forward. Have a backup plan though as sometimes the 3rd party systems are not always operational. The EOApp is absolutely horrendous and I'd avoid at all costs. Evie and Chargefox are good.

Should display this info in PlugShare. Your car will max out at 11kW on a Level 2 charger (AC). This will take 5hrs to go from 0-100% Although from say 20-80% should only be around 3hrs.

Magic. Just plug it in and walk away. It will take care of the rest and bill you via your account. Make sure your payment details are up to date in your Tesla account before you start your trip.

Starting with the basics

You have AC chargers and DC chargers.

Public AC chargers are basically the same as your home chargers, yes. But they may or may not have their own cables. Tesla Destination Chargers always have a cable. Most of the rest don't. On those you either need a Type 2 - Type 2 cable (for most newer AC chargers), or a Type 1 (J1772) - Type 2 adapter plug or cable (for the older AC chargers). Companies that sell cables will probably sell them both in a bundle. But aside from certain use cases, your car has enough battery for local travel & you don't really need to plug in at shopping centres & the like.

Public DC chargers always have their own cables. That includes Superchargers, Ultra-Rapids (350kW), and Rapids (mostly 50kW).

Superchargers: Check availability via the Tesla phone app. But they usually have at least 4 working stalls at any site. You pay in-app. You need to have a credit card attached to your Tesla logon. You probably already do if you subscribe to premium audio.

Chargefox (including Yurika) and Evie Networks (Ultra-Rapids and Rapids): Check availability via that provider's phone app. Chargefox's 350kW ultra-rapids are notoriously unreliable (Goulburn can be down for weeks at a time, Shell Cove for months at a time). Anyway, open that provider's phone app. I assume you've already entered credit card info. Find the site you're at. Once the cable is in, look through the app again. One port will switch from saying "Available" to "Start". Press Start. Wait a few seconds. It'll start charging. Once the session is over, it'll bill your linked credit card.

NRMA (for now): Check charging history via PlugShare. They don't have an app with real-time availability data. If someone has checked in during the last day or two & hasn't reported an issue, it's probably fine. Plug the cable in. On the front of the charger itself, press 100% (it defaults to 80% - an infuriating little feature) and then press Start. It'll begin. There's no charge. It'll cut out at your car's preset charging limit, or at 95%, whichever is higher. And always check in! It gives the next person useful information.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and moa999
I am planning to drive from Brisbane to Byron for a weekend, in my SR+, so will need a charge to get back.

<snip>

For EVLink,1. do I need a type 2 to type 2 cable? Where is the best place to buy one?

Thanks.

For that drive (Bris to Byron and return) I wouldn't bother buying a type 2 cable unless you really think you'll have a need for it in the future.
It's an easy drive and well serviced by chargers.

'The farm' has 2x 50 kW chargers that are free, and the library has a single 50 kW unit (although recent check ins don't look good on plugshare). With the destination chargers around, you really won't need to use an EV link station.

Reactions: cafz
Byron is easy to get to from Brisbane with plenty of charging options, all DC so reasonably fast and no extra cables required. The supercharger at Knockrow (Macadamia Castle) is close by, or the NRMA charger at The Farm (Ewingsdale Rd exit so really convenient). Unlike many NRMA chargers, there are two stations there.

You can also go by the Gold Coast supercharger but it might be a bit of a detour.

If I were travelling anywhere north of the Sunshine Coast, I would carry a type 2 cable, since the QESH chargers have (mostly) only one DC station and a backup AC station. If someone is using the DC charger you can then plug into the AC so the wait isn't a total waste of time.

Apologies for my ignorance. I have never used a public charging station or a tesla supercharger before, as I haven’t had the need to. I am planning to drive from Brisbane to Byron for a weekend, in my SR+, so will need a charge to get back. I’ve had a look on PlugShare, seems like there are some Tesla destination chargers around, which I assume are just like a home charger, and some EVLink stations.

Thanks.

Another option, its only 170km, so if you have a 240v plug in connector, just charge at your location overnight if a power point is available