Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob question: which charge adapter is needed to plug into my current 220V outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I just moved to a new space and will only be here for about 6 months. Rather than installing a charging station at home, I want to see if I can just charge from the dryer outlet which is about 50 feet away from where the 2018 Model X will be parked.

Here is what I currently own:

Charging cable:
IMG-7523.jpg

Currently owned 220V converter showing both sides (doesn't fit current 220V dryer outlet)

IMG-7526.jpg
IMG-7527.jpg

Current 110V converter showing both sides:

IMG-7529.jpg
IMG-7528.jpg

This is what dryer outlet looks like:

IMG-7530.jpg

Any suggestions for adapter/cords to purchase to allow this to work easily until I can have the home charging station installed at our next house?
Thank you in advance and I apologize for the noob question. I searched the forum and didn't find the answer, but I'm sure its out there if I put in a few more hours of looking.

Hi @markhower, welcome to TMC!!!

A few things to dissect from your post and your pictures...

1.- Your first picture shows you have a Gen 1 Mobile Connector, which is great!

2.- Your second and third pictures show adapters for a Gen 1 Mobile Connector, which is also great!

3.- Your forth and fifth pictures show the NEMA 5-15 adapter BUT for a Gen 2 Mobile Connector, which won't fit your Gen 1 Mobile Connector.

4.- Your last picture shows that the dryer outlet is a NEMA 10-30. Fortunately you can buy the NEMA 10-30 adapter for your Gen 1 Mobile Connector in the Tesla Online Shop. Just select NEMA 10-30 from the drop-down menu.

I would recommend that while you are at it, you also buy the correct NEMA 5-15 for your Gen 1 Mobile Connector.

Reactions: alexgr
Hi all!

Thanks so much for the responses.

My fiance or myself may have mixed up the adapters. We own a December 2018 Model 3 and a July 2018 Model X.

I have currently in my cart to buy:
1. Gen 1 NEMA 5-15 adapter (so I Can charge on regular 110V outlets on emergency use)
2. Gen 1 NEMA 10-30 adapter (so I can charge on the current dryer outlet pictured above)

Last question:
The current Gen 1 Mobile Connector that I have does not have enough length to reach from the NEMA 10-30 outlet to where the vehicle sits outside the house.
It's approximately 50-60 feet of length needed to reach from the dryer outlet to where the vehicle is parked.

Any suggestions on a NEMA 10-30 extension cord that will give me the extra length needed?

And seriously - this crew is the BEST! Big thank you for the help thus far, its much more clear now and saved me hours of trying to figure out how this works.