Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there’s rumor of a fairly long wait, 6-8 weeks out for a M3LR, but I’m a little unsure of the process after placing the deposit.
It’s only $100 currently..But my question is for after that.
What if, I’m placing a deposit but actually want to wait until literally the end of Nov/early December for delivery. Can I choose to do this?
Or is it not a thing?

Late November/early December is the expected delivery time for orders placed today so it should work out fine. But to answer your question more specifically, Tesla tends to expect you to respond fairly promptly once the car is ready for delivery. They have been known to push out delivery dates up to a week but generally will not hold the car past that. If you can’t take delivery when the car is ready you will just wait until they have another one for you but you won’t lose your deposit.

• Informative
Reactions: NoMoGas and KerryOH
Yes, I agree with OCR1. I ordered a Model 3 on Oct 1. Tesla came up with one fast and wanted to deliver Oct 8th originally. I got them to agree on Oct 9th - but was told “take it now or lose it.” I couldn’t take it on Oct 9th so I lost it (and reordered on the 11th). Just understand that Tesla will want you to pick up within a very short window of having a car for you.

Yes, I agree with OCR1. I ordered a Model 3 on Oct 1. Tesla came up with one fast and wanted to deliver Oct 8th originally. I got them to agree on Oct 9th - but was told “take it now or lose it.” I couldn’t take it on Oct 9th so I lost it (and reordered on the 11th). Just understand that Tesla will want you to pick up within a very short window of having a car for you.
I ordered my SR+ Oct 1st and stilling waiting in my VIN! How did you get yours in 9 days?

I ordered my SR+ Oct 1st and stilling waiting in my VIN! How did you get yours in 9 days?

@jonquiljo didnt get delivery that fast, tesla just had a car that matched the configuration that was ordered.

When he was unable to take that car, he had to cancel and re order, and is now back in the queue with you, with the same likely delivery date as you. There will be some who likely get matched to existing cars, but most will (likely) need to wait until the end of november / 1st week of december, and then all of those cars will be delivered within a very short time.

@jonquiljo didnt get delivery that fast, tesla just had a car that matched the configuration that was ordered.

When he was unable to take that car, he had to cancel and re order, and is now back in the queue with you, with the same likely delivery date as you. There will be some who likely get matched to existing cars, but most will (likely) need to wait until the end of november / 1st week of december, and then all of those cars will be delivered within a very short time.

Correct! All I am saying is that you need to be aware that Tesla will want you to pick up your car within a very narrow time frame - especially when cars start coming in. I just got lucky with my first order - and was not able to pick it up in time.

Reactions: jjrandorin