Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob questions for 21 MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've taken delivery a few days ago and I've been watching a lot of YT videos and I haven't been able to figure out the following things:

1. When I park, how do I get it to show the front camera?
2. With autopilot on city streets, it would follow a car but once it's stopped at a red light it will not move and follow the car when the light turns green. Is there a way to have that automated?
3. Where do they put the wheel lock?
4. Why doesn't the car come with a spare tire?

It's a really nice car. It's nowhere near the GLE in terms of luxury but autopilot is miles better than the distronic. If both cars had a baby, that would be perfect!
My contactless delivery was perfect and the car was perfect, almost. The glovebox snags and won't open, it needs to be nudged but I'm sure it's a minor thing. Fit and finish is good.
I don't like the handles, I want to just pull and open instead of pushing to get the handle out before pulling.
The AC doesn't seem to be that strong and the air circulation in the cabin isn't that great.
I'm looking forward to putting some miles in this car.

Reactions: cbo111
3. Wheel locks are not OEM but aftermarket
4. Few cars come with even a space saver spare these days, run flat tires or not. If you're lucky you get a tire inflator and some version of Fix a Flat. Our Volt comes with that. The Tesla didn't even come with that. Tesla says, call for service. That doesn't cut it when a) you have no cell service and/or b) you'd rather not wait some number of hours for service.

I've ordered a spare tire kit from ModernSpare.com that includes the lug wrench, jack, wheel and tire. I also carry a tire inflator and a can of fix a flat. Finally I'm going to buy a road hazard warranty from Discount Tire/America's Tire. That warranty also includes free flat repairs as well as tire rotation q. 7k.

1) There is no camera mounted in the front bumper; a 360 degree bird's eye view when parking is promised, not yet released.
2) When the Tesla Autopilot is engaged and there is a moving vehicle in front of the Tesla then the Tesla should slow, stop at a traffic signal behind the vehicle ahead. When the vehicle in front of the Tesla start to move again the Tesla should also start moving forward (Unless you have purchased full-self driving (FSD) and enabled the drive through green traffic signal option there must be a moving vehicle in front of the Tesla when the light changes from red to green for the Tesla's radar to track.) Also, after stopping at a traffic signal when there is no vehicle in the same lane just ahead of the Tesla the Tesla vehicle's front cameras must be able to see the lane markings before the Tesla Autopilot will move forward when you attempt to engage or re-engage the Autopilot after stopping at a traffic signal or stop sign.
3) By "wheel lock" do you mean the electronic parking brake? The Tesla's electronic parking brake engages automatically when you press the button on the tip of the right steering column stalk. The electronic parking brake automatically releases when you shift into one of D/R/N - Drive/Reverse/Neutral (to shift into Neutral press the right stalk up or down half way and hold for 2 seconds.)

Last edited:
....3. Where do they put the wheel lock?

Tesla sell it for $50

Lots of cars now don't have one in modern days. I think that's just cheating! I bought my own spare tire for each of my Tesla cars because I don't want to wait for Road Assistance.

Tesla sell it for $50

Lots of cars now don't have one in modern days. I think that's just cheating! I bought my own spare tire for each of my Tesla cars because I don't want to wait for Road Assistance.
Where do you keep the spare tire? Just loaded in the trunk?

Yes. There's no design to hide the spare tire, so I just place it in the back and I often got comments from passengers that what's that ugly tire doing there in the back!
Thats also a lot of extra weight to keep a full spare that may never get used, vs a much lighter repair kit and a Les Schwab within calling distance (and a lot better on-call team ready to respond)

1. Press the camera button (between your name and "LTE") on the top right and it'll launch the dashcam/camera viewer.

2. Make sure you have FSD and enable the green light and stop sign functions.

I've taken delivery a few days ago and I've been watching a lot of YT videos and I haven't been able to figure out the following things:

1. When I park, how do I get it to show the front camera?
2. With autopilot on city streets, it would follow a car but once it's stopped at a red light it will not move and follow the car when the light turns green. Is there a way to have that automated?
3. Where do they put the wheel lock?

It's a really nice car. It's nowhere near the GLE in terms of luxury but autopilot is miles better than the distronic. If both cars had a baby, that would be perfect!
My contactless delivery was perfect and the car was perfect, almost. The glovebox snags and won't open, it needs to be nudged but I'm sure it's a minor thing. Fit and finish is good.
I don't like the handles, I want to just pull and open instead of pushing to get the handle out before pulling.
The AC doesn't seem to be that strong and the air circulation in the cabin isn't that great.
I'm looking forward to putting some miles in this car.

- I've noticed that I can't unlock the car with my phone unless it's pretty close to the door. I keep it in my back pocket and it doesn't recognize it unless I turn and face my butt to the door handle.
- Not being able to put in multiple destinations is pretty annoying when trying to plan for charging
- Looking forward to some black wheel cover options. Looks like there will be one in the fall.
- Still contemplating whether I want to add the screen tilt mod. I like the fact that it faces me and I can adjust for glare.
- I've added the Spigen screen protector, it's definitely a good upgrade.
- I've noticed some slight ear pressure while driving the car, I'll need to look into this.

- I've noticed that I can't unlock the car with my phone unless it's pretty close to the door. I keep it in my back pocket and it doesn't recognize it unless I turn and face my butt to the door handle
Me too. When my hands are full, it’s butt first and then reach around and push the handle. In the winter when I was wearing a jacket, the phone was in my pocket so opening the door was easier.