Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noobie Charging Questions for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. What EVSE comes with M3 by default? What adapters come with it by default? Some videos I saw show 14-50 adapter, 120 volt adapter, and J-1772 adapter.

2. I have a NEMA 14-30 outlet (dryer outlet). Is there a way to use this outlet?

3. Does it matter, in terms of charging efficiency, if I use a Tesla EVSE, or use a third-party EVSE?

4. Is CHAdeMo adapter supported/available? My understanding is that CSS is not supported, and not going to be supported, right?

5. Is there a way to pre-set the charging amps in the menu? Limit it to 24 amps for example, if my circuit is on a 30 amp breaker.

6. What charging modes are available? Can I set the limit - i.e. 80%? Can I time it to charge to 80% by departure time?

1. What EVSE comes with M3 by default? What adapters come with it by default? Some videos I saw show 14-50 adapter, 120 volt adapter, and J-1772 adapter.

2. I have a NEMA 14-30 outlet (dryer outlet). Is there a way to use this outlet?

3. Does it matter, in terms of charging efficiency, if I use a Tesla EVSE, or use a third-party EVSE?

4. Is CHAdeMo adapter supported/available? My understanding is that CSS is not supported, and not going to be supported, right?

5. Is there a way to pre-set the charging amps in the menu? Limit it to 24 amps for example, if my circuit is on a 30 amp breaker.

6. What charging modes are available? Can I set the limit - i.e. 80%? Can I time it to charge to 80% by departure time?
1. It comes with a gen 2 Mobile Connector (MC) with 14-50 (240v) and 5-15 (120v) adapters. You also receive a J1772 adapter that is only used with J1772 charging stations, not the MC.
2. You can buy a 14-30 adapter from Tesla. Be sure to get a gen 2 version. It will allow you to charge at 24 amps.
3. No
4. Not yet.
5. If you use the Tesla adapters, they will automatically set the amps to the correct level.
6. You can set the charge limit and scheduled charging time in the car. You can also set the charge limit from the app. If you want to schedule it to end at an exact time, you might need a 3rd party app. You can also just do a little math and figure out the scheduled charge time on your own. Alternatively, you can also plug in and see the estimated charge time and then stop charging and subtract out the estimated time so that it finishes at the scheduled time.

There are third party apps available that control Tesla charging?
Yes. You either have to buy or subscribe to them but I've never found the need. I just use the scheduled charging in the car or use my phone. I created a charging table in a spreadsheet so I can instantly figure out how long a charge will take depending on the range needed and the amps used.

I'm a newbie waiting on my MR Model 3.
Why would you want to limit the charge time? Why not just plug it in and let it charge overnight to 100%?

1.) You might want to limit charging time if you have time-of-use electricity rates.
2.) Battery life is longer the less time it spends at 100%. Recommended charging level for daily driving is somewhere between 70 and 90%, depending on how much range you need. Save the higher charge levels for when you need the range on a long trip.

5. If you use the Tesla adapters, they will automatically set the amps to the correct level.

The adapters do automatically set the amps to the correct level as MorrisonHiker posted.

To further answer your question, yes it is possible to set the charge rate to something different in the car. For instance I'll often set mine to a rate lower than the maximum to avoid blowing breakers in places with possibly sketchy electrical systems such as campgrounds. Also when charging at home during the day to maximize the amount I'm charging from my solar system rather than drawing from the grid.

The most important scenario for me is when I use a third party adapter for the mobile charger (UMC). I use a TT-30 to 14-50 adapter quite frequently. TT-30 is a standard 120V/30A outlet for 30A service in campgrounds. We have friends and family that have installed these outlets at their cabins for visitors to plug their campers in while visiting. I'll often charge at those outlets because it's twice as fast as 120V/15A. I have an adapter that plugs into the outlet, then I plug the UMC's 50A connector into the adapter. If I don't set the draw in the car to 24A or less, the car will try to draw 50A from the outlet and I'll have a blown breaker. The really cool thing about Tesla is that it remembers where you are and what you've set this to, so I only have to remember to set this once for each location. At subsequent visits, the car is smart enough to reduce its power draw without any intervention on my part!

Tesla’s long-time guidance is charge to 90%, and leave car plugged in when parked.

Charge to 100% when you need the range for a trip.

They have very sophisticated battery management software. Plus records of battery longevity, deterioration and charge styles.

You can try to out-think Tesla, or simply follow their advice. Many long-time owners report minimal range loss (battery capacity loss) under Tesla guidelines.

Reactions: KJD
DumB question, is the supplied charger 20'? I thought for I read on here it was 10' but the website lists 20....

Just got notice of my est delivery and while I thought Xmas it looks like it will be here for Thanksgiving. Need to figure my plug set up asap!

Do you charge your cars everyday? I charge most days, but top off at 85% twice per week. I commute 70 miles per day and i get a max of 4 hours of free charging at work (about 50 miles worth).

Sounds like you need a better charger at work. 12 miles per hour of charge is only like 3kw!

To answer your question, I almost exclusively charge at work(~60 mile commute), and usually every other day. In the Summer, it could be every third day. I could probably do three and four days respectively, but I don't like letting it slip below 50 miles of estimated range. I also like the flexibility, since we have several teslas sharing the same charger.

Sounds like you need a better charger at work. 12 miles per hour of charge is only like 3kw!

To answer your question, I almost exclusively charge at work(~60 mile commute), and usually every other day. In the Summer, it could be every third day. I could probably do three and four days respectively, but I don't like letting it slip below 50 miles of estimated range. I also like the flexibility, since we have several teslas sharing the same charger.
Yeah, I'm getting 3.12KW/H. The poles are split. If I'm the only one on a pole, I'll get double (which only happens in the evenings)