Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NorCal Powerwall owners. What is your reserve percentage right now? (Late October 2021)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm set at 60%, but I also changed my Peak to a narrower range of 5pm to 9pm. I'm on EVA-1, so my real peak is 2pm to 9pm.
I reduced the Peak because my true-up was very negative when I was covering the full peak. I increased reserve to 60% during fire season and during the winter
Still have mine at 15%. So far, enough sun has come out to let me fill at 5 to 100%. But, Sunday will be the real test with all day killer rain clouds. I only got 33KWH yesterday, better today, but sunday will be test for least I expect.

PW2 x3, reserve 30%, TBC cost saving, on EV2A, currently make it thru to 12mn on solar being generated in mid 30s kWh per day even this past rainy week.

If winds pickup, tend to increase reserve for more available backup. Fortunately do not have to worry about ice storms in this area

Any chance Tesla activates Storm Watch for the Bay Area today in anticipation of the coming rain storm? Anyone with experience from prior years?

Magic 8 Ball says, "Very doubtful". Generally Stormwatch requires a "warning" (not a "watch" or an "advisory") notice for some kind of severe weather from the National Weather Service, or notice of an impending Public Safety Power Shutoff from PG&E (or other utility). At least for my part of the Bay Area neither of these is true.

Bruce.

Reactions: GJones
Even in Self-Powered mode, my system is following the schedule defined by the PGE plan I entered under Time-Based Control. That is, I see it switch to pulling from the Powerwalls from 4-9 PM M-F instead of the grid
Are you sure that is because it just happens to correspond to when the sun goes down? According to their description, it does not follow the schedule in self powered. It pretty much just follows what the sun is doing.

I use a 25% reserve in summer and a 75% reserve in winter. EVA2 plan with excess production about 9 months per year.
Have endured and survived multiple power outages lasting upwards of 32 hours with some regularity and that's why I have the PW. Essentially set the reserve such that I have enough battery to survive without grid support until the next solar day. The likelihood of an outage where I am at is actually fairly significant - surrounded by severely burned hills and the power lines are subject to shorts, washouts of the towers and wind driven outages to boot.
All of the alerts are at the "warning" stage only, so do not expect StormWatch activation.

Are you sure that is because it just happens to correspond to when the sun goes down? According to their description, it does not follow the schedule in self powered. It pretty much just follows what the sun is doing.

Mine changes within minutes of the start of the peak. At one time I had it on Time-Based and entered my PG&E rate plan. This still shows even if I do not have Time-Based enabled.

Eastern Santa Clara county. Bright sunshine at the moment.

Attachments

• F9901F26-8BB2-419A-8CC8-57943A047AFC.png
    F9901F26-8BB2-419A-8CC8-57943A047AFC.png
    693.4 KB · Views: 83
You actually will see PW pulling from the grid first then you will see the "Storm Watch" item on the app in front of the Energy item, then you will get a notification on the phone from the Tesla app.

Actually I'm not sure if you will get the iPhone notification if your PW are not being charged from the grid. I usually leave storm watch off but it's been cloudy and there will be rain storms the next 2 days so I have it on and it was charging from the grid since noon time and done now.

"A storm is forecasted for your area and Powerwall is charging to provide backup power. Your system will be in Storm Watch until the storm ends."

Last edited:
You actually will see PW pulling from the grid first then you will see the "Storm Watch" item on the app in front of the Energy item, then you will get a notification on the phone from the Tesla app.

Actually I'm not sure if you will get the iPhone notification if your PW are not being charged from the grid. I usually leave storm watch off but it's been cloudy and there will be rain storms the next 2 days so I have it on and it was charging from the grid since noon time and done now.

"A storm is forecasted for your area and Powerwall is charging to provide backup power. Your system will be in Storm Watch until the storm ends."
So it doesn't actually display the words "Storm Watch" on the home page like it did in the previous version?