Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NorCal Powerwall owners. What is your reserve percentage right now? (Late October 2021)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The grid charged our batteries from 7:15 to 8:00 PM. They were 85% full when charging stopped. I don't see a Stormwatch indication on the app. I wasn't looking during the time the batteries were charging, but I assume that Stormwatch was invoked and subsequently cancelled.

It activated again at 9:20PM and is still active. Oddly neither the old 3.10.14 or 4.2.0-693 apps (two different Android phones) showed that I was in Stormwatch mode until the Powerwalls were fully charged, even though I could see that they were charging from the grid.

Just got the Storm Watch notification on my phone at 11:55pm PT Saturday for the first time after install. Not sure when it actually activated but stats for yesterday (Saturday) were 44% from solar, 44% from PWs and 12% from Grid. Despite being cloudy/overcast at times our solar generation came in at 26.6 kWh. Our 3 PWs are at 99% now. Still have it set at 25% Reserve, self-powered. Looking at the graph now for Saturday Storm Watch appears to have been activated at around 9:15pm.

Last edited:
I guess when I am in storm watch, which all my gateways are in now, reserve level means nothing.

Correct…it works pretty much like reserve level 100%.

Bruce.

PS. Been in Stormwatch mode since 2100 last night after enabling it around 2045, and like some other people I didn’t see the “Stormwatch” indication in the mobile app immediately, didn’t notice this until after grid charging completed.

Reactions: h2ofun
Power out since 1 PM in my area of Pleasanton. 3700+ customers out. Estimated time to restore power is 7:41PM (why so exact?).

The 2 Powerwalls were at 99% at time of outage thanks to StormWatch. We are using about 0.6 kW of power (watching TV and browsing the web).

One suprising thing, it is dark and rainy and the roof is generating 0.2 kW.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
In StormWatch with PWs at 98%, and have .2kW - .3kW solar being generated right now. Overcast, rainy and very gusty at times. One really strong gust had me thankful the panels are well anchored. Solar is powering the home needs right now, only lights on. I see a few spots on PG&E’s map around us with power out but nothing like further up the Bay area. I have seen the lights flicker a few times now. Only one time registered with the app for a few seconds. Glad we have our system and appreciate the StormWatch setting whether we end up needing it this time or not. Power during outages is the main reason we purchased and if we need to pull from grid or it’s done as a precautionary step, we’re okay with that.

Loving the storm as we need the rain desperately but it's wild out there. Tree branches all over my backyard and decks. All my garbage cans in my backyard fell over and spilled everything including the 50 lbs of pine needles I just cleaned up. The cover of my Traeger grill flew off the upper deck but at least it landed in my backyard. With the solar going between 0 kW and 0.3 kW all day I got a whopping 1 kWh so far, amazing. I think I will keep storm watch enabled through at least tomorrow noon time.

Loving the storm as we need the rain desperately but it's wild out there. Tree branches all over my backyard and decks. All my garbage cans in my backyard fell over and spilled everything including the 50 lbs of pine needles I just cleaned up. The cover of my Traeger grill flew off the upper deck but at least it landed in my backyard. With the solar going between 0 kW and 0.3 kW all day I got a whopping 1 kWh so far, amazing. I think I will keep storm watch enabled through at least tomorrow noon time.
I am up to a big 5.72kwh at 3:15. Clearly going to be the worst day of year so far. Big change from the 180kwh in the summer

Yay we just lost grid power here. Alas (?!?) we have 99% charge in the batteries so our AC frequency is a little wonky and our Insteon gear is a little unhappy ... need to burn up some electrons to get back down to normal.

Bruce.