Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NorCal to SoCal routing and charging plan check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
Going to drive from Davis to Anaheim next week and wanted to check to see if this plan makes sense in terms of keeping the driving and charging times as short as possible:

1. Davis to Harris Ranch, about 200 miles. Basically can drive as fast as I want as I'm starting with a full charge and have a 65 mile buffer.
2. Charge at Harris Ranch for 30 minutes or enough to have at least 170 miles rated range to reach Tejon Ranch.
3. Harris Ranch to Tejon Ranch, about 130 miles, should be able to drive as fast as I want with a 40 mile buffer?
4. Charge at Harris Ranch to full in about 60-75 minutes, to ensure I have enough range to get over the mountain and have a little left over once in Anaheim.
5. Harris Ranch to Anaheim, about 124 miles.

Does that make sense? By as fast as I want, I just mean keeping up with middle-lane traffic, which I'm guessing is 75-80mph? How much buffer do I really need to get over the mountain?

Thanks!

Going to drive from Davis to Anaheim next week and wanted to check to see if this plan makes sense in terms of keeping the driving and charging times as short as possible:

1. Davis to Harris Ranch, about 200 miles. Basically can drive as fast as I want as I'm starting with a full charge and have a 65 mile buffer.
2. Charge at Harris Ranch for 30 minutes or enough to have at least 170 miles rated range to reach Tejon Ranch.
3. Harris Ranch to Tejon Ranch, about 130 miles, should be able to drive as fast as I want with a 40 mile buffer?
4. Charge at Harris Ranch to full in about 60-75 minutes, to ensure I have enough range to get over the mountain and have a little left over once in Anaheim.
5. Harris Ranch to Anaheim, about 124 miles.

Does that make sense? By as fast as I want, I just mean keeping up with middle-lane traffic, which I'm guessing is 75-80mph? How much buffer do I really need to get over the mountain?

Thanks!

Use EV Trip Planner to check your "as fast as you want" assumptions. 1.0 speed means you are driving at the average traffic speed, not the speed limit. I put in all the numbers that I think I will use and then add a 25% buffer.

Why skip Tejon? It's very easy to get to access from the highway and lower State of Charge charging is always faster. One reason might be to have a nice meal at Harris. It's far, far better food than you will find at Tejon.

Leave yourself an extra buffer for the unknowns of LA traffic.

Enjoy!