TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Norfolk, VA receives donation from Tesla of 100 Destination Chargers

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by swengl, Dec 12, 2017.

1. swengl

swengl Member

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. EVTECH

EVTECH Member

Been a long time coming. Really hoping this will be a catalyst for other cities nearby!

• Like x 1
  3. Xenius

Xenius Active Member

They're on the wrong side of Williamsburg for me, but happy to see it happening!

4. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

This is going to be really popular with Model 3's, I could see people going to great lengths to avoid Supercharger fees.

The thought of getting something free, even if it avoids an otherwise minimal cost, does something to people and makes them do irrational things.

• Like x 1
  5. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Let's not act like it's exclusive to Model 3 owners.

Tesla didn't come up with the "idle fee" because of them. ;)

• Like x 2
  6. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

No doubt - I go to the Supercharger near me at lunch occasionally and it is usually 3-4 cars full with 75% local chargers. I won't do this with my Model 3's though but I'll level 2 for free where I can.

It's just human nature, like you're beating the system or something. The thought of 100 destination chargers makes me happy :)

• Like x 1
  7. ModelNforNerd

I lived in Norfolk for 15 years (former Navy), and I have to admit that I'm a little surprised to see them embracing EVs this openly.

They did just redo their waterside mall/entertainment district, and I'm sure they've realized that "Tesla owner" is a profitable demographic to tap into. So it's not like they're really in this for the environment.

As long as it puts people over the top when deciding between EV and ICE, that can only be seen as a good thing!

8. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Glad to see this for Norfolk, but this thread really doesn't belong only in a regional forum. This is hopefully a trend that will spread nationwide. Lots of Tesla owners would be interested in this.

9. Lanny

Lanny ~

Norfolk City Council Meeting of Dec. 12, 2017.

Discussion & vote to accept 100 EV charging stations from Tesla begins at 56:18.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. ModelNforNerd

a few of the people on the City Council seem to "get it".

11. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

I don't think having it Amtrak stations and such would be a good thing, because of the fact they may sit idle and plugged in for the whole day or for multiple days. Same problem as we have at airports, unless it is valeted

12. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

All of them asked the right questions, and their heart is in doing the right thing. Especially the Council Woman Dr. Whibley comments that, "We should not be nickel and diming, but look at the big picture and future" on the question of why the city should pay for $1.50 for each charge.

At 1:03:45, The Tesla rep says, some of the chargers are Tesla specific and some for all electric cars. Is that true? I thought all destination chargers will be L2 J1772 adapters that any EVs can use.

13. EVTECH

EVTECH Member

He wasn't a Tesla rep. :-/ He would have done a bit better if so. He was the director of parking for Norfolk. Part of the destination program is providing J1772 Universal chargers for free too. You are correct the Tesla chargers only work on Teslas unless they have an aftermarket $280 Jdapter. JDapter Stub

14. EVTECH

EVTECH Member

More coming to Williamsburg area!

• Like x 1
  15. Xenius

Xenius Active Member

Any solid news on that? That's great to hear! My Dad will be buying my model 3 reservation from me (hopefully soon) so I'm sure he'll be happy to hear that too.

• Like x 1
  16. Xenius

Xenius Active Member

Also I'm happy to see even the councilman with some concerns, though mostly out of lack of knowledge (not meant as an insult!) voted aye for the measure. Kudos to Norfolk!

• Like x 1
  17. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

#17 scaesare, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    It's likely those adapters will no longer work with Tesla's new Wall Connector ("TWC"... formerly known as the HPWC).

The new devices handshake to cars using a digital protocol (SWCAN) similar to Superchargers. Although they can "fall back" to J1772 mode, that feature is not enabled in the units typically installed in the destination charging program.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1