Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norfolk, VA receives donation from Tesla of 100 Destination Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is going to be really popular with Model 3's, I could see people going to great lengths to avoid Supercharger fees.

The thought of getting something free, even if it avoids an otherwise minimal cost, does something to people and makes them do irrational things.

Let's not act like it's exclusive to Model 3 owners.

Tesla didn't come up with the "idle fee" because of them. ;)

Let's not act like it's exclusive to Model 3 owners.

Tesla didn't come up with the "idle fee" because of them. ;)
No doubt - I go to the Supercharger near me at lunch occasionally and it is usually 3-4 cars full with 75% local chargers. I won't do this with my Model 3's though but I'll level 2 for free where I can.

It's just human nature, like you're beating the system or something. The thought of 100 destination chargers makes me happy :)

Reactions: jbcarioca
No doubt - I go to the Supercharger near me at lunch occasionally and it is usually 3-4 cars full with 75% local chargers. I won't do this with my Model 3's though but I'll level 2 for free where I can.

It's just human nature, like you're beating the system or something. The thought of 100 destination chargers makes me happy :)

I lived in Norfolk for 15 years (former Navy), and I have to admit that I'm a little surprised to see them embracing EVs this openly.

They did just redo their waterside mall/entertainment district, and I'm sure they've realized that "Tesla owner" is a profitable demographic to tap into. So it's not like they're really in this for the environment.

As long as it puts people over the top when deciding between EV and ICE, that can only be seen as a good thing!

I don't think having it Amtrak stations and such would be a good thing, because of the fact they may sit idle and plugged in for the whole day or for multiple days. Same problem as we have at airports, unless it is valeted

All of them asked the right questions, and their heart is in doing the right thing. Especially the Council Woman Dr. Whibley comments that, "We should not be nickel and diming, but look at the big picture and future" on the question of why the city should pay for $1.50 for each charge.

At 1:03:45, The Tesla rep says, some of the chargers are Tesla specific and some for all electric cars. Is that true? I thought all destination chargers will be L2 J1772 adapters that any EVs can use.

All of them asked the right questions, and their heart is in doing the right thing. Especially the Council Woman Dr. Whibley comments that, "We should not be nickel and diming, but look at the big picture and future" on the question of why the city should pay for $1.50 for each charge.

At 1:03:45, The Tesla rep says, some of the chargers are Tesla specific and some for all electric cars. Is that true? I thought all destination chargers will be L2 J1772 adapters that any EVs can use.

He wasn't a Tesla rep. :-/ He would have done a bit better if so. He was the director of parking for Norfolk. Part of the destination program is providing J1772 Universal chargers for free too. You are correct the Tesla chargers only work on Teslas unless they have an aftermarket $280 Jdapter. JDapter Stub

He wasn't a Tesla rep. :-/ He would have done a bit better if so. He was the director of parking for Norfolk. Part of the destination program is providing J1772 Universal chargers for free too. You are correct the Tesla chargers only work on Teslas unless they have an aftermarket $280 Jdapter. JDapter Stub

It's likely those adapters will no longer work with Tesla's new Wall Connector ("TWC"... formerly known as the HPWC).

The new devices handshake to cars using a digital protocol (SWCAN) similar to Superchargers. Although they can "fall back" to J1772 mode, that feature is not enabled in the units typically installed in the destination charging program.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and Xenius