Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

("Normal" delivery states): Does it make a difference to wait to make final payment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking delivery tomorrow, and I'm curious if waiting to make final payment until I've looked over the vehicle really has an effect anymore. My understanding is that with touchless delivery, you have to make final payment to open the vehicle.

Are your options the same wrt. rejecting delivery:
  1. After making final payment, but before "accepting" delivery on the app and therefore being able to get inside
  2. After "accepting" delivery on the app, but before leaving
Previously, you could reject delivery after inspecting outside/inside the car up until you signed and left the delivery center. After that, your only options were repair or return. Now, I'm confused if either 1 or 2 above (or both) prevent you from rejecting and asking for a new VIN assignment?

Thanks!

I am taking delivery tomorrow, and I'm curious if waiting to make final payment until I've looked over the vehicle really has an effect anymore. My understanding is that with touchless delivery, you have to make final payment to open the vehicle.

@LevelHeaded Can you follow-up on how you handled the final payment. I have delivery scheduled for Monday and am unsure if I should make final payment in advance of Monday?

My delivery wasn't as "touchless" as I have seen other people describe where everything was outside. No handshakes or anything but everything was done inside he building. That could just be my delivery center (Carlsbad, CA).

I made my final payments (down payment check and remainder loan check) at the delivery center after looking over the car.

1. Show up to Delivery Center and went inside.
2. Check-in
3. Walked over to car that was inside service area along with other cars being picked up.
4. Look over car and noted any issues with delivery advisor
4. If accepting car, sign papers and provide payment

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_133129.jpg
    IMG_20200625_133129.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: mycroftxxx
My delivery wasn't as "touchless" as I have seen other people describe where everything was outside. No handshakes or anything but everything was done inside he building. That could just be my delivery center (Carlsbad, CA).

I made my final payments (down payment check and remainder loan check) at the delivery center after looking over the car.

2. Check-in
3. Walked over to car that was inside service area along with other cars being picked up.

Were you able to inspect the inside of the car prior to handing over the payment?

From what I'm reading on the forums our CO delivery centers are a little more "touchless" so I suppose making the final payment online in advance would make it a little more streamlined without having to hand over a physical check. I know the smart thing would be not to hand over final payment until visual inspection but I'm curious how many people are really holding out like that and how many are making payment in advance of arriving. I know it's possible I could refuse delivery based on what I see but honestly that probably seem rather unlikely.

From what I'm reading on the forums our CO delivery centers are a little more "touchless" so I suppose making the final payment online in advance would make it a little more streamlined without having to hand over a physical check. I know the smart thing would be not to hand over final payment until visual inspection but I'm curious how many people are really holding out like that and how many are making payment in advance of arriving. I know it's possible I could refuse delivery based on what I see but honestly that probably seem rather unlikely.
I spoke with Jeff at Superior and he said to bring my license, insurance, a personal check and the loan agreement from my bank. That was it.

I spoke with Jeff at Superior and he said to bring my license, insurance, a personal check and the loan agreement from my bank. That was it.

That sounds about what I expected. I'm using Tesla financing so don't need that loan agreement. Probably wise to wait and bring personal check, they should make that more clear on the Tesla site that you don't need to make that final payment online prior to arriving.

2. Check-in
Hopefully I’ll be there in a couple of days picking up my MY, but despite the texts in the last week, still no VIN so I’m getting nervous...

Picked up my MY this past Sunday. Yes, you have to accept delivery on your app in order to find and unlock your car. However, you can still reject the car. Final paperwork is in the car for you to complete and return. If you don't want to accept delivery, you would not complete the paperwork and advise a representative. Tesla will remove the VIN off your account. I was able to withhold final payment until I knew for sure that I was going to accept the vehicle.

Imagine that with the Covid stuff they are not eager to have a new owner getting inside the car, putting hands all over everything, then rejecting the car.

Also understand that people would not want to make final payment until they are satisfied with the condition on their car.

Tough situations.

I’m curious if anyone knows the process in the Devon PA service center? I too am a little hesitant about making final payment before inspecting the car.

I took delivery at Devon two weeks ago of VIN 60,8xx. I paid by ACH the day before. I was able to spend as much time with the car as I wanted prior to accepting delivery. My thinking was, worst case I would reject and wait for another car or cancel order and get a refund from Tesla. I wasn’t particularly worried about it. As it turned out the car was good and presented no issues that bothered my wife and I. All in all I was in and out in about an hour or so. The people at Devon were great to work with. FWIW, after delivery I took the car down the street from the SC and got it inspected right after Delivery.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
I took delivery at Devon two weeks ago of VIN 60,8xx. I paid by ACH the day before. I was able to spend as much time with the car as I wanted prior to accepting delivery. My thinking was, worst case I would reject and wait for another car or cancel order and get a refund from Tesla. I wasn’t particularly worried about it. As it turned out the car was good and presented no issues that bothered my wife and I. All in all I was in and out in about an hour or so. The people at Devon were great to work with. FWIW, after delivery I took the car down the street from the SC and got it inspected right after Delivery.
Thanks. Was this a totally "touchless" delivery or were you interacting with the SA? Not that it really matters. I'm just trying to understand the process.

I bought my Model S70D there in 2015 and the have generally treated me well, although I have noticed the service department becoming more difficult to work with in recent years. FWIW I had to go to the Wilmington DE service center recently and the service there was excellent.

Thanks. Was this a totally "touchless" delivery or were you interacting with the SA? Not that it really matters. I'm just trying to understand the process.

I bought my Model S70D there in 2015 and the have generally treated me well, although I have noticed the service department becoming more difficult to work with in recent years. FWIW I had to go to the Wilmington DE service center recently and the service there was excellent.

Everybody was masked up. The DA was there to answer questions, basic car orientation, help us set up with our phones, process paperwork, etc. I wouldn’t call it touch less, but rather cautious help. Good no rush experience. For service I will be using the Lancaster SC as I am in Harrisburg. Good luck.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar