Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Normal for a 100D model X to have a range of 330km?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my model 100D for about 10 days, driven a total of 1k km. it came to my attention that my range is only about 330km even when fully charged.
I called Tesla and was told this is normal.
I am quite disappointed as it is no where close to the quoted range of 560 km in the web site. :(

I've a MS 90D (2017), I've got a rated range of around 390km when charged to 80% but only 220-230km in actuality! My previous MS P85+ (2014) has a rated range of around 360km at 80%, but around 180-200km under my normal driving conditions!! Mainly driving around HK island.

PS. Spare a thought that other EVs' actual range is probably more inferior to Tesla by quite a big margin

I got my model 100D for about 10 days, driven a total of 1k km. it came to my attention that my range is only about 330km even when fully charged.
I called Tesla and was told this is normal.
I am quite disappointed as it is no where close to the quoted range of 560 km in the web site. :(

Are you talking about rated range or estimated range? Also, when 'fully charged', do you have limit set to 100%?

The rated range displayed should be similar to the Tesla quoted NEDC range. Estimated (which is based on your average recent driving behaviour) may be less/more, depending on how you drive.

Are you talking about rated range or estimated range? Also, when 'fully charged', do you have limit set to 100%?

The rated range displayed should be similar to the Tesla quoted NEDC range. Estimated (which is based on your average recent driving behaviour) may be less/more, depending on how you drive.
My accumulated mileage is 330km for 100kWh of power. 60% of NEDC range.
I don’t know what everyone’s experience is. NEDC doesn’t seem very relevant here.

Your experience sounds about right and similar to my experience with my MS in HK.

You may get 350km or above on highway driving for 80-90% change, but nowhere near the advertised NEDC range.

Then again, I’ve owned a number of other ICE cars in HK. None of them come close to the advertised fuel consumption...

My accumulated mileage is 330km for 100kWh of power. 60% of NEDC range.
I don’t know what everyone’s experience is. NEDC doesn’t seem very relevant here.

Yeah, rated != estimated. I actually get pretty much exactly NEDC rated on my car (a S85, pre-autopilot) - that is some hills around Sai Kung, but mostly highway to/from work. I guess my commute pretty much matches the UDC and EUDC components of NEDC. Trips to the airport often get down to 150Wh/km (which is almost 20% better than NEDC). If you live in mid-levels (for example), you won't get anywhere close. As the saying goes; your mileage may vary.

NEDC is a joke, but it is the law and at least allows for reasonably equitable comparisons between different brands on the same test. The US EPA test is better, and the new WLTP seems better yet.

My 90% is 344km on my 2014 85 on estimated and that’s what I get. Those who are getting much less are either driving faster/harder or their car has been charged to 100% too many times. That will kill the battery like nothing less.

My 344km hasn’t changed in the last 3 years.

The best way to overcome range anxiety (not recommended though) is to drive the range to 0km on the clock, and then some. It's liked finding a new religion on the range issue after this experience.

I did this once, then drove another 5-6km to reach a SC with 0km range, this shows there is some reserve juice even at 0km. I don't want to guess, your Tesla should be able to do another 10-20km without much problem at 0km range. Plus, you'd also gain some range when going downhill or a long downward slope. Luckily most HK SCs near my place are located in a lower level of the car park (from the entrance), so you may even gain a couple km for simply going down the car park levels; if the opposite is the case for the SC location, get ready to push...

It's also useful to remember that the range showing is a dynamic figure, and a function of how you drove and the road conditions, so if you moderate your driving style and turn off air con / music when you're low in range, you can squeeze a few extra km out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hkpkfan