TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Normal for fans to go nuts while charging?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by asgard, Sep 10, 2013.

1. asgard

asgard Member

The fans on my 1.5 roadster go crazy while charging in my garage. It is pretty warm - around 80F in the garage. Is this normal?
    Thanks.

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Yes that's normal for the fans to operate like that.... this is part of the normal charging cycle, its cooling down your battery pack down. the fans pulling the hot air from the pack through the HVAC system and condenser. Also the rear blower will turn on to help cool down the motor/pem.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yep, the Roadster makes a huge racket when charging. Model S is much quieter!

4. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

The first time our car fired up after a 150 mile drive, we thought we'd lit off a jet engine in the garage :)

Now it's just old hat.

(In answer to your question, Yes!)

5. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

I promise this is not too far off of the current subject...

We just got a Prius for my daughter and I parked it in the garage. Did you know there is an OFF button? Well, needless to say, I got out, the car beeped, I beeped back at it and it stopped beeping (very well behaved). I went into the house. Later that day, I went into the garage for something and it was bloody hot out there! The interior of the Prius was nice and cool, though :-D

I read somewhere that you can no longer commit suicide with the newer cars in a garage because the carbon monoxide is pretty much removed before the exhaust leaves the tailpipe. I can confirm this through first-hand observation! There was NO evidence of any foul-smelling gasses!

I can also confirm that the charging Roadster makes WAY more noise than a Prius with its engine running :-D

6. bart513

bart513 Member

Hey Jordan,
    My wife and daughter went to Disney for 5 days and took the Prius to the airport. Welllllllllllll needless to say when they returned to NY the car doors wouldn't open with the key fob. DEAD BATTERY because my wife thought that she had turned off the car. Good news is that with the jump it's been fine the past month:)

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

CO is odorless and deadly. You should have opened the garage door for a couple of hours just to be safe. You don't get CO normally; you get CO2. You get CO because the oxygen starts running out and the gas can't burn completely. Maybe modern cars have sensors that help prevent CO poisoning, but I sure wouldn't take that chance!

8. JohnnyLounge21

Mine runs like a hover craft the entire time it's charging. I'm in an enclosed highrise garage and it's usually whisper quiet in there (unless someone is coming/going). . . Not any more while I'm charging.

It was a little distressing for me to have that many moving parts on the vehicle so often (room for parts to break if they're moving in my mind). But that's the way it is. Once it's charged up, it'll settle down. Until you use it again and those fans kick on full-time again!

9. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I also discovered the 1.5's are allot quieter than the 2.x's when charging and the front fans don't run as often as well as the rear blower.... once the pack's temp has been driven down its pretty quiet.

10. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Thought I'd say this before Brianman does.

Fans go nuts whenever they see the car. It doesn't even have to be charging. :)

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Hehe.