Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Normal HVAC operation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Ive noticed my HVAC recently. WHat do I mean by this? Well, if youre used to how the AC compressor kicks on in an ICE car when its idling, youll kind of get what Im talking about. Ill be sitting in the vehicle (not moving) with the AC on, and I will (seemingly) randomly feel and hear a very slight low frequency "drone" start in the cabin. You can feel the slight vibrations in the steering wheel, and you can hear a very low, and very quiet noise. I can confirm this is the HVAC, as the noise/vibration will stop completely if I turn the climate control off. Whats more interesting, is that this "issue" will go away for some time if I simply toggle the HVAC off/on quickly. So my question is this... do I need to make an appointment with the SC or is this normal?

No, that's actually normal. For the older cars, like mine, there was a sound barrier for the compressor, but yours is new enough that it would already be in place.

It can definitely be heard outside from what I have noticed. I don't have a tesla but have observed it on a few cars sitting "idle" in parking lots.

Turning off then on will likely keep it from happening for a while because there is typically a delay built into HVAC compressors to allow the system to settle before restarting.

Normal operation. I have the same thing.

...maybe consider turning the tunes up in your MS if the HVAC operation bothers you, or keep praying for cool weather here in SoCal and turn it off. ;) (Sorry, couldn't help myself -- having come from owning two Lexus Hybrids for 10 years before my MS, I grew used to the silence when running on battery at stop signs and at low speeds, that intermittently turned into a louder rattle and racket when the ICE kicked-in -- much louder and more noticeable than HVAC in my MS.)

Exactly the same results with my early 40kWhr model. As you concluded, it's really not that bad so I ignore it or cycle the HVAC off then off.

The noisiest item at zero speed is going to be the A/C. From the exterior mine sounds a little like an ICE. I wonder if the A/C has improved significantly on the new models. The 'sound barrier' doesn't seem to be enough.

So Ive noticed my HVAC recently. WHat do I mean by this? Well, if youre used to how the AC compressor kicks on in an ICE car when its idling, youll kind of get what Im talking about. Ill be sitting in the vehicle (not moving) with the AC on, and I will (seemingly) randomly feel and hear a very slight low frequency "drone" start in the cabin. You can feel the slight vibrations in the steering wheel, and you can hear a very low, and very quiet noise. I can confirm this is the HVAC, as the noise/vibration will stop completely if I turn the climate control off. Whats more interesting, is that this "issue" will go away for some time if I simply toggle the HVAC off/on quickly. So my question is this... do I need to make an appointment with the SC or is this normal?

Just a suggestion bud... it wouldn't hurt to mention it to your service center and confirm it's normal operation. I did this and they told me it was not normal on mine (hard to compare if mine was worse than yours) and they replaced the compressor, I believe. Mine is noticeably more quiet now. Not completely silent, of course, but better than before. Best of luck!

So are you saying that I should be able to hear/feel this?
Yes. Initially when outside it was like a jet engine. It was quieter inside but there was a lot of vibration. After the Service Centre put the silencing fix on it, I hardly notice it anymore. However, I would if I was new to the car.

The only times that I notice it is if the car has been sitting and is quite hot. Remember that the compressor does double duty: it cools both the cabin and the battery coolant, if the battery is too warm. When it is doing both, my car sounds like a 747 ready for take-off outside. I can hear a little of it in the car. I don't think I have noticed any vibrations though.