Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Normal Model S Sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno, I don't hear the sound when traveling at those speeds. Rather, it happens at power levels in the 10-20 kW range and speeds around 50 kph. The sound also subtly changes with throttle position. More like what mknox described at low speeds.

I dunno, I don't hear the sound when traveling at those speeds. Rather, it happens at power levels in the 10-20 kW range and speeds around 50 kph. The sound also subtly changes with throttle position. More like what mknox described at low speeds.
Yah, mine changes with the acceleration arc (quiet at zero/no-color, loud at the ends). I only started hearing mine at 75mph. These particular videos don't capture the acceleration sensitivity of the sound, just the sound itself. Sorry if that makes them less helpful.

A sound that I hear which is not original to the car and perhaps more along the lines of what Doug_G is hearing, is an electrical noise that varies with throttle input. It's very faint (radio must be off; hard to hear at speed if at all). I haven't tried recording it but I doubt I could at least with the gear I have.
The 3-phase AC induction motor sets up some very complex audible electrical noise. You can hear it on the AM radio especially when tuned to a particular frequency (I can't remember which one). When heard on the AM radio it's different than with the radio off -- but it might help "describe" the kind of noise I'm talking about ... sort of.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually upon reading Woof's reply, it would be different than mine if Doug's matches his. Woof described his to me in person and yikes!

You're 100% correct, brianman. The Ranger came by yesterday and recorded my car's sound, and they sent it to engineering. Today they asked to schedule my car in for a drive train replacement. :frown:

Well, it's a fairly painless experience to have it swapped out. My big concern is that others who have had their drive trains replaced are reporting the sound coming back. At the rate I drive I'm going to chew through my warranty pretty fast and I wonder what repairs like/ this are gonna cost outside of warranty?

Well, it's a fairly painless experience to have it swapped out. My big concern is that others who have had their drive trains replaced are reporting the sound coming back. At the rate I drive I'm going to chew through my warranty pretty fast and I wonder what repairs like/ this are gonna cost outside of warranty?
Of the many questions I asked on this topic, these might be of interest:
  1. What is the replacement cost when out of warranty? Estimate: 15k-20k for the part + labor.
  2. Does the warranty extend for the drivetrain with the new drive unit? No, the original warranty applies with the same duration.
  3. Is there any news on the extended warranty in WA (and FL)? No.
Regarding the latter, I requested my concerns ("so in 3 years, I should plan on a 20+k replacement for my drive unit because there is no extended warranty available for me?") be passed up the chain at Tesla.

Of the many questions I asked on this topic, these might be of interest:
  1. What is the replacement cost when out of warranty? Estimate: 15k-20k for the part + labor.
  2. Does the warranty extend for the drivetrain with the new drive unit? No, the original warranty applies with the same duration.
  3. Is there any news on the extended warranty in WA (and FL)? No.
Regarding the latter, I requested my concerns ("so in 3 years, I should plan on a 20+k replacement for my drive unit because there is no extended warranty available for me?") be passed up the chain at Tesla.

I think there is a legal requirement that if you have a problem during warranty and it's documented, if it breaks again after warranty it's covered as if it were still under warranty. This likely varies by state.

Has anyone heard a really loud sound and significant vibration while the car is supercharging? I get it usually when supercharging between 140-230mi range, (on my 85kW A pack).

I was kinda worried so I called Tesla supercharging support, they said that they couldn't see anything abnormal on their end.

It was loud enough that it was drowning out the stereo, and I had to get out of the car to make a phonecall.

Has anyone heard a really loud sound and significant vibration while the car is supercharging? I get it usually when supercharging between 140-230mi range, (on my 85kW A pack).

I was kinda worried so I called Tesla supercharging support, they said that they couldn't see anything abnormal on their end.

It was loud enough that it was drowning out the stereo, and I had to get out of the car to make a phonecall.

That's the A/C kicking in on High to cool the pack.