Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Normal reset triggered a Factory reset one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night, I tried a normal reset to try and improve LTE connection, but the car underwent a Factory reset instead.

I lost all my settings, the odometer fell to zero, the Nav thinks the car is in Palo Alto California (when I am in Monaco) and displays matching Californian time, the Bluetooth connection to my telephone is gone and so are all my settings (even the language changed).

When I tried to connect the phone back, the car introduces itself to the phone as a 'Tesla Model S'.

Now here in Monaco, I can't find a way to contact Tesla and ask what I should do about it.

When I tried the app, it gave me a scheduled appointment... for the16th July... great, what am I supposed to do until then?

The car had just received a software update last weekend (car is 26 months old and it is HW 2.5): I wonder if there is a connection and this is some major bug.

Last edited:
Sorry, I did not follow-up on my story.

Despite my app giving me an appointment 3 weeks later, actions were taken behind my back from the next day.

The guy at the service center, reading about the event on the appointment explanation field, made Tesla "do something" at cloud level: I had the impression I was far from being the first or the only one having experienced this issue.

Anyway the very next day, when I picked up the car from my garage, I found that it had retrieved at least a minimum amount of data history (like the odometer was back and the car presented itself on BT again as a model 3).

Still I had to redo all my settings (language, mirror position, bluetooth connections and so on).

I also think I know how I provoked this bug in the first place: while the car was doing normal reset (I had triggered one by the steering wheel roll/buttons), I went into an underground garage, thus losing GPS connection. I believe this caused the car to return to Palo Alto and think it was newly produced from the assembly line. Just a theory!

I still tried to contact the SC outside the app, a process that Tesla strongly opposes (God knows why): I eventually found a good old telephone number for the guy at the SC who had taken the actions, so I could TALK to him and understand the whole story.

My score on the experience is like 5 out of 10: just because the guy at the SC was very nice, quick to act and competent (so the guy scores 10 out of 10). Unfortunately the system that actively prevents you to actually contact anybody and rather set an appointment in 3 weeks time is absolute crap (0 out of 10).

Okay, so I was finally able to manually enter most of my personal settings back into my car. Set up the app so my iPhone is the keycard, all over again. Had to put my passwords back in for Netflix and Youtube. Still don't have the right GPS location, shows me at Tesla HQ and even though the info about my car in the settings shows I have FSD, those settings are greyed out and I can't turn them on. Made a mobile service appointment but nothing was open until two weeks from now...what the heck Tesla, waiting two weeks is unacceptable! I absolutely hate that appointments are made only via app, I want to talk to a person!

Drove my car today and my correct location in now on the map and I was able to turn on the FSD settings. Guess I can cancel my mobile service call now. But having to enter all my settings back in sure was a pain, especially when the 2 scroll wheel reboot shouldn't have caused a factory reset. Tesla needs to stop adding games to my car and start fixing bugs, better yet don't release software with bugs.