TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Normal Tire Air Loss

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Tony N, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Tony N

Tony N New Member

Is it normal for my Tesla S tires (Goodyear Eagle Touring 19") to lose 2-3 PSI per month? I find myself having to top off the air in my tires every few weeks. The air loss is consistent across all my tires so I thought it is not due to a puncture or nail. Do any of you have a similar experience? Thanks.

Tony

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

3. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Have you tried filling the tires with Nitrogen? Some say that helps because the Nitrogen molecules are larger.

4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

2 lbs per month is not normal
    3 lbs per month is significantly abnormal

Unless you lived in an extremely cold environment, which you do not.

We left our Model S to sit for six months this year, in a controlled atmosphere (65-85ºF). Upon returning, all four of its tires had dropped from 45 to 36psi (two) and 35(two). That was acceptable to me.

You, however, likely are more consistently driving your vehicle and I certainly hope are checking tire pressure more frequently than that - or perhaps your vehicle is a newer model that displays the pressure. You CAN realize greater air loss if the roads you frequent subject you to greater than average amounts of road irregularities: a pothole, for example, can bounce the tire + rim sufficiently to squeak out a little bit of air.

Hope this helps.