Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Normal Tire Air Loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it normal for my Tesla S tires (Goodyear Eagle Touring 19") to lose 2-3 PSI per month? I find myself having to top off the air in my tires every few weeks. The air loss is consistent across all my tires so I thought it is not due to a puncture or nail. Do any of you have a similar experience? Thanks.

Tony

2 lbs per month is not normal
3 lbs per month is significantly abnormal

Unless you lived in an extremely cold environment, which you do not.

We left our Model S to sit for six months this year, in a controlled atmosphere (65-85ºF). Upon returning, all four of its tires had dropped from 45 to 36psi (two) and 35(two). That was acceptable to me.

You, however, likely are more consistently driving your vehicle and I certainly hope are checking tire pressure more frequently than that - or perhaps your vehicle is a newer model that displays the pressure. You CAN realize greater air loss if the roads you frequent subject you to greater than average amounts of road irregularities: a pothole, for example, can bounce the tire + rim sufficiently to squeak out a little bit of air.

Hope this helps.

Keep in mind that when the temp drops, your pressure will drop. When the temp rises, your pressure will rise. We just came into winter, so I suspect that has something to do with it. I believe (don't quote me on this), you lose about 1 PSI for every 5-7 degrees of ambient temp drop. Just warming up the tires by driving can increase your PSI by at least 2-3 lbs.

I had one tyre loose 5psi every 2 weeks. When all the tyres were replaced by Tesla they found 2 nails in that tyre. After that the same wheel started loosing pressure again. Had it checked at my local tyre place - no nails but I have Alloygaters fitted. Left the alloygater off and no air loss at all. Refitted it and it starts loosing pressure again. Still, topping up the pressure is no big deal, I prefer to save my rims.