Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North America Circumnavigation Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many thanks for all your excellent advice. I don’t yet have a CHAdeMo adaptor so if you have one to spare I’d be pleased to buy it. I’m currently in Mammoth, heading slowly northwards. Let me know how best to pay/collect. (Not sure how PMing works from this app but I can be reached on WhatsApp via 1 310 666 1849)
I sent you a text, also started a Conversation here.

It sounds like a great adventure! I'm so envious!!!! Good luck and have fun. I just followed your blog
View attachment 412640 View attachment 412641 View attachment 412642 View attachment 412643 View attachment 412644 Well we finally took delivery of our S85D View attachment 412640 View attachment 412641 and are on our way around North America. So far made it to Mammoth via Mojave and Lone Pine with a spectacular drive up the 395. Car is certainly impressive and a great vehicle for a road trip, so far. (If anyone is interested you can follow the journey on our periodic blog: Intrepidtoo.blogspot.com or on Twitter @intrepidtoo )
It sounds like a great adventure! I'm so envious!!!! Good luck and have fun. I just bookmarked your blog.

A quick update on our electric road tripping around North America, 2 months and 6000mi into the journey. We’ve seen some amazing sights, met some amazing people and had an amazing time in our amazing vehicle. Although we were beaten back by the smoke haze, heat and poor air quality in the Yukon (yes climate change is increasingly real the farther north you go) we made it to Alaska, twice, via the Cassair/Glacier and Klondike Highways and are now about to tackle the Great Canadian EVSE Desert, which appears to stretch unbroken for almost 2000mi from Calgary to Sudbury. The route has been modified slightly, the Dalton and Dawson highways, and the Labrador Highway were pure hubris on our part and not really practical in a saloon car, EV or ICE.

So far the S85D has performed exceptionally well, with only a 12v battery replacement, gratis, in Vancouver. Autopilot well exceeded expectations, handling winding roads with only faint centre or edge lines, braking for corners, reading speed signs, including temporary ones such as on a grass cutting vehicle or at roadworks, distinguishing ‘speed limit ahead’ signs from actual ones and converting kph to mph and even on occasion responding to Stop signs. It makes long distance driving much more relaxing. The remaining range indication on the navigation screen has proved remarkably accurate, although on long treks we’ve sometime had to cruise at 50mph to ensure we have sufficient reserve in case the selected destination charge point wasn’t available. whilst it may have inconvenienced a few RV drivers it gave us more opportunity to spot wildlife and enjoy the scenery. So far the only minor problem was a charger in use in Whitehorse Yukon and an enforced late departure whilst we waited for a slow 30amp charge at an RV park. Hopefully the next leg of the journey will be as smooth.

As we head east any advice on whether to use a J1772 or a 14-50 plug, or a Tesla destination charger where available would be appreciated.

Reactions: f205v
....and are now about to tackle the Great Canadian EVSE Desert, which appears to stretch unbroken for almost 2000mi from Calgary to Sudbury.
If you can, try to stop and take pictures of the SCs under construction and post in the appropriate threads. Who knows, maybe some of them will even be operating when you get there.