Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North America radio/SiriusXM tuner upgrade after MCU2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done the radio/SiriusXM optional install $500 that you lost after the MCU2 upgrade( in North America)?

MODEL S - TUNER UPGRADE KIT - NA BASE(728191100-A) 1.0 radio/SiriusXM
Did you get SiriusXM working after the new Digital tuner install.

My service center cannot seem to get SiriusXM working after tuner install. FM works great but no SiriusXM channels show up anywhere on touch screen.

My question is if you succesfully did the FM/SiriusXM retrofit/install after the MCU2 update:
  • Did your SiriusXM radio ID change?
  • Does SiriusXM show up under Sources like it did before?
  • Do you have a SiriusXM channel list anyplace on the touchscreen? Service center said there is no SiriusXM tab like before(not sure I belive that as how do customers know the names of channel. searching for "the Pulse" to tune to a satellite channel seems unacceptable.

Guess I was customer #2 at my service center so ok with helping them sort it out for future customers.

FYI, if you do the above retrofit don't leave the service center without a know SiriusXM station working "like 90s on 90s",etc. If they bring up CNN and say see it works make sure you listen for 5-10 minutes and don't get the TunedIn commercials. You are streaming still and not on Satellite.

thx much
Kevin

• Informative
Reactions: Tesomega
Of course the Sirius/XM radio ID changes. Its a different radio.

Did you contact Sirus/XM and persuade them to change to your new ID on your account?

I thought the same thing. Service said there was no way to see the new Radio ID on the screen. They said just go onlne and resubscribe with your old radio ID. Did that and no Joy. Will bring the car back in tomroow again.
Bet there is some kind of option code that needs to be added in software for the cars configuration as there is nothing anyplace on the touchscreen that says SXM,etc.... Where it used to be.

I forget where the actual setting is exactly, but somewhere in the media controls, there is a newer setting screen that allows you to toggle the available sources that get displayed. The intent was to allow the user to remove sources (e.g. TuneIn) if you just weren't interested in ever listening to it and didn't want it to be part of the search.

I wonder if it as simple as going into that screen and toggling XM.

Reactions: DerbyDave
If I recall correctly the sources are in the settings where the equalizer is. I doubt there are two SiriusXM sources though.. and yeah of course it’s a new ID, same as the Bluetooth changed when the MCU was swapped.

Other threads have said they have SXM show up when they don’t have the antenna so there’s some weird process going on here. Getting done on my X today which never had SXM avail so should be interesting to see if I get the ‘option’ when it’s done or not. The answer may just be to hide it as you say.

Ok SirriusXM +FM tuner was added (removed after MCU2 upgrade) and working great now. Nice to have Sat Radio again in my car.
Took a couple of trips as I was only the second car to have the digital tuner put in car after the MCU2 upgrade.
First time they put in part:
Part #: 7281911-00-A MODEL S - TUNER UPGRADE KIT - NA BASE
FM radio was now working but no SiriusXM working or in MCU Screen.

Then they swapped out the tuner for:
Part #: 7281911-01-A MODEL S - TUNER UPGRADE KIT - NA PREMIUM

I have premium sound on my model S 2016(facelift) but not sure why it would have a different tuner. My guess the base model was just a FM tuner model.

IF YOU DO THE DIGITAL RADIO UPGRADE MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS WORKING AS IT SHOULD AS THIS IS A NEW PROCEDURE AND MANY SIRIUSXM CHANNELS ARE AVALIABLE ON STREAMING SO CAN CONFUSE TESTING.

Yes Radio ID did change but SiriusXM wouldn't give me a free trial(boo) so got the $30 for 6 month rate.

Although it took 3 visits to my service center to get resolved they were great. (Paramus-NJ. ChrisH was great) good communication and Ubers/loaners for each visit. Since I was customer #2 for this retrofit I expected some bumps in the road.

I have nothing but good things to say about Tesla Sevice(so far). No way would my BMW service team even think about doing a first time swap for $500, and then not try to charge me for each hour if there was a problem.

thx
K

Kevin, I'm having a similar issue with my MS after the mcu2 + tuner2 upgrade, however my service invoice does show they installed the premium tuner. I'm wondering if they somehow programed the radio as fm only?

After the installed the new tuner were you able to see smx as a source before you got a subscription? Service is insisting that it won't show up unless it has a subscription, yet they have no comment to n how I could sign up as the radio id isn't listed anywhere.

Kevin, I'm having a similar issue with my MS after the mcu2 + tuner2 upgrade, however my service invoice does show they installed the premium tuner. I'm wondering if they somehow programed the radio as fm only?

After the installed the new tuner were you able to see smx as a source before you got a subscription? Service is insisting that it won't show up unless it has a subscription, yet they have no comment to n how I could sign up as the radio id isn't listed anywhere.
Yes they told me the same thing and its wrong. I had 4 service center people around the car trying to figure it out.
After the upgrade you should see SXM and get the preview channel. Otherwise how do you see the screen with the new radio ID... dah...

The radio ID does change. So tell them you did subscribe and still does not work.
My SA texted me when the car was in the Service Center with the new radio ID(so they could test) and then I subscribed with the new ID.

When they finally say it is fixed make sure you can get the SXM only stations like Hits1, 80's, 90's,etc. and with the right logo(slacker has some stations with similar names/logos)

PS you should be able to get $4.99 a month for 12 months with a little bit Just make sure to cancel before the 12 months... Cancel via chat and they will offer you the same deal most likely.

We just went through this situation also on a 2016 pre-refresh. I checked that XM was after the upgrade working... it wasn’t. The channels we listen to were there but grayed out.The tech confirmed XM was available when he completed the work but there was a software update after the new MCU was installed and XM was lost. Apparently this has happened before. He did a reinstall of the software but no joy. They ended up replacing the tuner which ended up being bad. Everything worked as it should after that.

Switching the radio id’s was painless and took all of 5 minutes. It might have helped that my wife worked for SiriusXM for a number of years fixing radio issues for customers. She knew exactly who to ask and what they needed to do. It took a couple hours every thing to update but she wasn’t surprised by that.

Kudos to the service center staff especially the tech for their tenacity of identifying the issue and correcting it.

I think it was earlier this year when Tesla provided a seelction of services you want to see available, found in the Media Settings, Sources tab. It may be that newly installed hardware or software does not automatically check the service as being available and visible to you. Make sure XM is checked, or you will not see it as an available service.

Reactions: Akikiki
I don't remember having anything other than radio listed as a source even when xm worked with my mcu1.

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_072447.jpg
    IMG_20210418_072447.jpg
    828.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20210418_072500.jpg
    IMG_20210418_072500.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 98
I had my car upgraded and have yet to see Sirius or FM radio. The Raleigh service center says it's a software bug in the Tesla code. When I pick the radio option all I get is a partly populated screen with a spinning wheel. No FM stations are listed and there is no XM anything. The spinning wheel will continue as long as you have patience to wait - never goes away. I'm suspicious that the FM / Sirius module is either lacking power or communication as I'll bet the module's input is need to complete all of the screen information. So, you guessed it, I got the upgrade and now have nothing but to wait for a someday software fix.

My latest upgrade to 2021.24.4 removed SiriusXM as an option -- been working fine for over a year. After several reboots, power offs, and days, it seems to now have stabilized and works fine, but the favorites are screwed up again that were fixed in a prior update. If Tesla has this much difficulty with keeping simple stuff working, makes you wonder if the Full Self Driving will ever be reliable. Their change control and pre release testing regimen appears to be non-existent.

Has anyone done the radio/SiriusXM optional install $500 that you lost after the MCU2 upgrade( in North America)?

MODEL S - TUNER UPGRADE KIT - NA BASE(728191100-A) 1.0 radio/SiriusXM
Did you get SiriusXM working after the new Digital tuner install.

My service center cannot seem to get SiriusXM working after tuner install. FM works great but no SiriusXM channels show up anywhere on touch screen.

My question is if you succesfully did the FM/SiriusXM retrofit/install after the MCU2 update:
  • Did your SiriusXM radio ID change?
  • Does SiriusXM show up under Sources like it did before?
  • Do you have a SiriusXM channel list anyplace on the touchscreen? Service center said there is no SiriusXM tab like before(not sure I belive that as how do customers know the names of channel. searching for "the Pulse" to tune to a satellite channel seems unacceptable.

Guess I was customer #2 at my service center so ok with helping them sort it out for future customers.

FYI, if you do the above retrofit don't leave the service center without a know SiriusXM station working "like 90s on 90s",etc. If they bring up CNN and say see it works make sure you listen for 5-10 minutes and don't get the TunedIn commercials. You are streaming still and not on Satellite.

thx much
Kevin
SiriusXM FIX for my 2018 Model S
If I park in my garage for 30 minutes with no satellite signal, I will lose SiriusXM on my computer screen. Check the settings, everything is gone.
Tesla must have a bug in the software when there is no signal for a certain time it disables SiriusXM
FIX
I pull out of my garage into a parking spot that is open to the sky.

I do a hard boot, by pushing both scrolls to reset.
FOR HARD REBOOT.
PUSH and HOLD both scroll down and hold down, do not release when you see the screen go off. Continue to hold down for about 2 minutes until you see the T on the screen. Once you see the T on the screen, then release the scroll.
SiriusXM will take about 1-2 minutes before it is back on your computer screen with all settings as you had them.