Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North American Charging Standard.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: mrElbe and israndy
Assuming the same connector is used for the Semi (hence the 1 MW), it could become the defacto connector for Semi charging station? Then makes it's way down to cars ?

Even if the NACS connector could sustain 1 MW continuously over an extended period (which may not be the case), that still wouldn’t be powerful enough to compete with the forthcoming MCS connector, which is supposed to be rated up to 3.75 MW (up to 3000 amps and 1250 volts).

Reactions: malou
And what’s the deal with the “up to 1 MW DC” claim?
The other thread has some good info on this. Apparently, Tesla unveiled a new, backward-compatible 1000V connector. (The existing connector is 500V.)
And they’re claiming they can get amperages over 900A.

1668283668538-png.873953

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
As a Tesla owner I am not sure how I feel about this. If other EVs can use SuperChargers then they will get busier than they are today, assuming that there are adapters from the Tesla plug to CCS.

But this also makes it more likely that I would consider a non-Tesla EV as my next car, assuming that it can charge at SCs.

• Funny
Reactions: RNHurt and cdswm3
Assuming the same connector is used for the Semi (hence the 1 MW), it could become the defacto connector for Semi charging station? Then makes it's way down to cars ?
Do we know how semi charging is going to work? Would it be feasible for long haul semis to be EV or would this just be for shorter haul, like warehouse to store type of deliveries?

I wonder how feasible it is to have tens of MW of power available at highway truck stops that are generally in rural areas that likely don't have a large grid connection. Line the ONRoute stops or Flying J.

I would think that there are high power lines that criss cross the country and they likely keep near the interstates as those are the locations that towns pop up. Sure, they may require another drop for the Megacharger, but it won't tax the infrastructure too much.
Large HV lines are generally going from source to load or serving as grid interconnect lines and are generally as point to point as possible. Even the big stations on I5 are in the single digit MW, so if we want to electrify semi's, we need to bring the substations and lines to the chargers rather than just relying on existing infrastructure.

Uhggg... I've been interacting with people who could be described as Tesla bashers trying to tell me that all Tesla Charging stations in North America are inevitably going to switch to CCS and eventually all new Tesla's will become CCS. I keep telling them they are full of s**t but I hope I'm not wrong?

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Uhggg... I've been interacting with people who could be described as Tesla bashers trying to tell me that all Tesla Charging stations in North America are inevitably going to switch to CCS and eventually all new Tesla's will become CCS. I keep telling them they are full of s**t but I hope I'm not wrong?
There is no political will to regulate anything in the US anymore and I don't think Tesla will switch willingly. Canada and Mexico are just puppet states when it comes to standards, so don't expect anything there.

Or the Supercharger is retrofitted with a CCS plug like they did in the EU, two plugs per stall.

Tesla could convert all NA Superchargers to CCS1 and, with the CCS1 to NACS adapter, most Tesla owners could carry on using the Superchargers as per usual.

It's an odd situation because NACS is the redundant standard, due to the CCS1 to NACS adapter. If Tesla had a NACS to CCS1 adapter then they could make a much stronger case for adopting NACS as the sole charging connector for North America.