TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

North Americans: Would you pay for Spotify? VOTE!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dark cloud, Feb 23, 2019.

?

Would you pay $10 monthly for Spotify?

1. Yes

49.5%
  2. No

50.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

I have been using Slacker for almost a year, and it is okay. I don't get too many issues; the odd frozen song, the odd unauthorized skip to the next song, but the biggest problem I have is the repetition of songs in the same "station". I now have a dozen stations and I am having to rotate through them continually and it seems like I just have a 1000 song playlist.

I have used Spotify in other avenues and I like others prefer it.

Notwithstanding the various reports of Spotify not working from users in Australia and Europe, I think in this continent it could not stream any worse then Slacker, and therefore I would be more than happy to pay for Spotify and be done with Slacker. Say $10 US? maybe even $15 for a "premium" higher bitrate service, if this is possible without buffering issues?

Inspired by this thread I emailed Tesla about Spotify...spread the word! I thought I would create this poll to show how many would put their money where there mouth is, and perhaps demonstrate another source of revenue for Tesla.

2. digistyl3

digistyl3 Member

If Elon's car would be running Spotify, I'm sure someone would get fired or the bugs would be fixed. Or both.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

I've had Spotify in the past... Other than listening to songs on command, I don't see the excitement over it. Personally I like Slacker other than the aforementioned Spotify plus.

If we really want to look at music services, I'd much prefer integration for iHeartRadio and Radio.com since both iHeart and Cumulus have abandoned TuneIn in the last couple of years.

• Like x 2
  4. robby

robby Member

US cars already ship with Spotify; it’s just disabled. With root access it is trivial to turn on and it works great. This leads me to believe the real constraint is Tesla’s licensing agreement with Slacker.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Jrzapata

Jrzapata Member

I currently pay for Apple Music. I would switch to Spotify if it was available in my car

6. joosh

joosh Member

I currently pay for family premium membership on Spotify and will continue to do so. No plans to upgrade slacker or other music service. To me, Spotify is top notch and worth waiting for Tesla integration.

• Like x 4
  7. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

I pay for Slacker, so I wouldn't mind and would prefer to pay for Spotify instead of Slacker. OP, are you already paying for Premium Slacker?

8. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

All American Tesla’s are all running Spotify! You just can’t see it or hear it because it’s hidden in the background, but the process and the app are running on ALL cars, Tesla is just not showing it to you.

9. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

haven't read the thread but I already pay for spotify so I would use my own credentials with my Model S if it were available.

10. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

It’s available you just can’t see it ;)

11. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

No, and definitely would not do it just for the Tesla. I am actually a Tidal premium family subscriber at $30 a month as I use it in my home system through Roon. It streams at a CD quality bit rate (>1000 kbps) whereas the Tesla streams Slacker at a reported 128 or 160 kbps. Spotify would probably be the same. I don't think it is possible to stream via mobile at any rate higher than 320 kbps, and even that would not probably not work reliably, so high fidelity streaming is not even an option.

The only difference would be song library and the algorithms used for stations/playlists. From what I understand Spotify is superior on both accounts.

12. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

Are you advertising a service? :rolleyes:

• Funny x 2
  13. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

I currently pay for a Spotify family plan and absolutely love it.
    I have plans to root my car when the warranty is up, but that's a couple years away. I'll enable Spotify and poke around to see what other goodies are available.

14. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

No, but if you pm me, you never know what can happen...

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

Spotify has no "made for you" functionality in Tesla. The upside is that Spotify on your phone recognizes the Tesla as a device, and will play songs. or rather - tell Tesla to play songs (it happens ON the Tesla MCU).

In order to do this, it's very clunky. you need to first switch to spotify in the car, play one song while you have attached your phone to the Tesla device, and then play using the phone after that.

Then you get no "next track" (it's disabled) on the MCU, so all control from there on in has to be via the phone. The big beautiful screen is then unused.

• Informative x 1
  16. wwu123

wwu123 Member

Seems odd that the controls don't work. When my wife streams Spotify from her phone via Bluetooth, I can use the "next track" from the car to control, or pause.

17. mmoran

mmoran Member

For the life of me. I don't see a PM option on this board. Or is that the joke.

• Funny x 1
  18. robby

robby Member

Click name next to post > Start a Conversation.