Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Americans: Would you pay for Spotify? VOTE!

Would you pay $10 monthly for Spotify?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems odd that the controls don't work. When my wife streams Spotify from her phone via Bluetooth, I can use the "next track" from the car to control, or pause.

It's a different scheme because you are going through the spotify protocol instead of standard bluetooth audio. Spotify "master" is the phone, and the "slave" is the Tesla MCU. It's one way it seems in Spotify while BT is bidirectional.

Spotify has no "made for you" functionality in Tesla.
Yeah maybe people are thinking the Spotify they see on their phone / computer is what we get in the Tesla, that is definitely not the case.
I set up a personal account just for the car so I could easily add songs etc from a PC because doing it in the car is not viable due to the minimalist approach with what can be done. And as I've said on here many times and others have said many times, most of the software updates since V9, Spotify hasn't actually been working anyway so you'd be potentially paying for something you can't use because Tesla can't seem to get it working consistently.

I like my thumb drive. Has the music I want an zero reception problems. It's also lossless.
But that is an annoying experience too, there needs to be user preferences. Why does it sometimes list (and play) songs within an album in alphabetical order, that is silly.

But that [thumb drive] is an annoying experience too, there needs to be user preferences. Why does it sometimes list (and play) songs within an album in alphabetical order, that is silly.
Yes, the audio UI could use a lot of help (don't get me started on the awful V9 UI), but at least I get the songs I want and the quality I want.

Reactions: P100D_Me
Yeah maybe people are thinking the Spotify they see on their phone / computer is what we get in the Tesla, that is definitely not the case.
I set up a personal account just for the car so I could easily add songs etc from a PC because doing it in the car is not viable due to the minimalist approach with what can be done. And as I've said on here many times and others have said many times, most of the software updates since V9, Spotify hasn't actually been working anyway so you'd be potentially paying for something you can't use because Tesla can't seem to get it working consistently.

Yeah calling it minimalist is too kind. It's more like a bare-bones implementation.

And ... Not even the album art is pulled from Spotify, but the generic cover art service which is hit and miss. I can see the software engineer's perspective that you use one general service for everything, but it messes up a lot of times, especially on youtube podcasts, and podcasts in general.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
I’ve used Spotify for years, already pay premium. Would just like the option to enter our own credentials. Tesla doesn’t need to pay for my account.

I tried switching over to Apple Music but switched back. Biggest strength Spotify has is the playlist selection and the uncanny way it learns what you like to constantly give you new great music. Apple Music or other services haven’t come close in that regard.

Yeah calling it minimalist is too kind. It's more like a bare-bones implementation.

And ... Not even the album art is pulled from Spotify, but the generic cover art service which is hit and miss. I can see the software engineer's perspective that you use one general service for everything, but it messes up a lot of times, especially on youtube podcasts, and podcasts in general.

That’s good info to know. I think i heard it was similar for slacker accounts on Tesla? If someone could verify.

No I wouldn't pay for Spotify personally. I used to have a premium subscription but the lack of selection of material in Canada is a deal breaker for me. It's not even close to what you guys get in the US. We tend to get some strange unplugged/acoustic/terrible live version of a lot of material I guess because of licensing stuff ... so kind of hoping we might have some choice moving forward. If it goes to only spotify it will be a downgrade for us Canadians (I guess maybe it depends on the type of music you're into as well).

• Informative
Reactions: moltenfire
Come to think of it at least newer Teslas have AAC support in Bluetooth streaming so why not use that. Spotify is as mentioned bare bones and I use my phone for it more often than not in my car, even if I have the Spotify app.

Wouldn’t pay for Spotify. Don’t use it now. Happy with slacker and tunein. Mainly use tunein. Would rather see support for iHeartRadio than another music streaming service that requires one to pay a monthly fee.

I object to being asked to pay for music, movies, etc at every turn. I pay for music by buying the album (vinyl, cd, dvd) and can put it an a flash drive to listen in the car. I shouldn’t be asked to pay to listen to the music I already purchased on my phone, car or other device. By buying the physical media it’s “mine” forever. Can’t be taken “away” in the future. For example, I recently received an email that UltraViolet will be shutting down in a few months and that as a result one may lose access to certain movies that were purchased. Can’t hapoen by owning the physical media.

Reactions: jerry33
Wouldn’t pay for Spotify. Don’t use it now. Happy with slacker and tunein. Mainly use tunein. Would rather see support for iHeartRadio than another music streaming service that requires one to pay a monthly fee.

I object to being asked to pay for music, movies, etc at every turn. I pay for music by buying the album (vinyl, cd, dvd) and can put it an a flash drive to listen in the car. I shouldn’t be asked to pay to listen to the music I already purchased on my phone, car or other device. By buying the physical media it’s “mine” forever. Can’t be taken “away” in the future. For example, I recently received an email that UltraViolet will be shutting down in a few months and that as a result one may lose access to certain movies that were purchased. Can’t hapoen by owning the physical media.

Good points. It’s always a weighing of security/long term possession vs. increased selection, mobility and simplicity ect...

In this case the difference is that we would have a choice to pay, or go free and not get the service. For those that enjoy Spotify and want to use it, they can. Especially if they already pay for premium. For those that don’t care about it they can go on with life. I too would object if I was told to pay for a service I didn’t see beneficial to me. I think it should be an option if the software work is already there.