Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Atlanta to Destin, FL - S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After charging at Defuniak for 20 minutes how much battery did you have? Finally, when you got to Destin, how much charge?

Thanks!

Lol, just saw this, sorry for lateness in reply. The Nav will always plan for you to arrive at your destination with around 10-20% charge left on the battery. If you don't have a place at your hotel/house/etc. then I'd charge a little bit longer than what the Nav says to give you cushion to look around for local charging spots. HTH

Lol, just saw this, sorry for lateness in reply. The Nav will always plan for you to arrive at your destination with around 10-20% charge left on the battery. If you don't have a place at your hotel/house/etc. then I'd charge a little bit longer than what the Nav says to give you cushion to look around for local charging spots. HTH

Folks, thanks for the information posted on this thread.
I live on the Gwinette side of Stone Mountain which is separated from Lilburn by Harmony Grove Rd, and I go down to the Gulf a number of times per year in an ICE car but no more in about a week.

I have been mucking around in EVTripplanner to route me thru the SCs in Auburn and DeFuniak Springs. The stop in DeFuniak Springs is not realy necessary but my property near the Gulf only provides a 15A plug in the parking pergalo , I could go into Seaside and get some juice there at the 80A Destination Chargers.

I should get an electrician in to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the pergalo. I wonder if I need the towns architect approval ? must check into that with the POA (Property Owners Association) and the town architect.

What I should do is get the POA is ask Tesla for a couple of free Wall Connectors and locate them in the center of town to attract business or if they do not want them to be so visible then maybe over by the POA building, the Post Office or the City Hall, they will have to appear on the Tesla destination charger map anyway.

This is the closest post I can find to the trip I am taking. We plan to drive from north metro Atlanta to Panama City in our new 75X. I'm trying to decide if I need to stop in Greenville, AL after the Auburn, AL stop, or try to go all the way to Defuniak Springs from Auburn. Trip is 175 miles. We will have the car packed with two children and luggage. I assume the right answer is to play it safe? Greenville adds about 60 miles to the trip.

We did auburn to defuniak in S85 and X100 without any problems. Weight of passenger/luggage not so much of a problem as speed for u since u have a smaller battery, no offense. Take others advice given here... watch trip meter percentage in vehicle, .stay above 15% till the last 50 miles then go as fast as u want. HTH

Reactions: Bafflerock
We did auburn to defuniak in S85 and X100 without any problems. Weight of passenger/luggage not so much of a problem as speed for u since u have a smaller battery, no offense. Take others advice given here... watch trip meter percentage in vehicle, .stay above 15% till the last 50 miles then go as fast as u want. HTH

When you say trip meter, do you mean the percentage google maps gives that it expects the car to be at when I stop?

And no offense taken. When we bought the car, we knew the beach would be the one trip we would have difficulty planning.

When you say trip meter, do you mean the percentage google maps gives that it expects the car to be at when I stop?

And no offense taken. When we bought the car, we knew the beach would be the one trip we would have difficulty planning.

Not google map related....Split your MCU in half, NAV on top and energy on bottom....

on your top nav screen, route the next destination to be the Supercharger you’re headed to..

Start driving and after 10-15 miles..On energy icon at bottom..select the second “trip” screen...watch this graph after driving a while (10-15 miles)... it’ll tell u battery percentage u should have left at arrival of your destination on the far right....

for newbies, I recommend keeping this percentage at or above 20% for the first few trips. You will soon recognize how your driving style effects the end result and learn to adjust accordingly. Once u get more confidence, u can shoot for 10% or less at arrival. Why would u want to do this? Cause you will Supercharger faster!

I once drove with the trip meter showing -2% (that’s right, negative 2%) at arrival of destination and I had ~20 miles left to go! I slowed downed for 5 miles and then turned off the A/C and drafted a semi for the last ~5-10 miles...it got me to 1% at destination....I do not recommend trying this as I was sweating bullets that last few miles.

Reactions: Bafflerock
This is the closest post I can find to the trip I am taking. We plan to drive from north metro Atlanta to Panama City in our new 75X. I'm trying to decide if I need to stop in Greenville, AL after the Auburn, AL stop, or try to go all the way to Defuniak Springs from Auburn. Trip is 175 miles. We will have the car packed with two children and luggage. I assume the right answer is to play it safe? Greenville adds about 60 miles to the trip.

I am sorry , I just came across your post and I see that the community has taken good care of you.

The past two trips to Panama City Beach area ,20 mi to the west of where you are intending to go, I take a route down through Auburn, Columbus ,Eufala and Dothan in a S100D, no problem in getting the Tesla Nav to lay in the route and guide.

In a 75X I do not know if the Tesla Nav will come up with the exact duplicate, however the EVTripplanner says that you should have no problem.
I use 'Route Direct' starting from Atlanta with 100% charge to get to Panama City arriving with 15%, with a 75X ( and even a 100D ) it will then post a RED bubble in Panama City which you can change to green by opting to charge for an extended period in Auburn AL

The reverse trip back to Atlanta may use more energy as it done with an elevation gain of around 1000ft and near Atlanta traffic is heavy running at 70-80mph with a large number of tractor-trailers mixed in.
Destination charging in Panama City will have to be checked out I would suggest that you charge to 100% , Free J1772 charging is available at the Technical College in West of Panama City so remember to bring your J1772 to Tesla Adapter as there are no Superchargers between Panama City and Auburn.
Plugshare is your friend.
The Supercharger installations in Dothan and possibly Columbus have been deferred from end of 2017 to sometime in 2018.

It is best IMHO to travel with an extra 10% of charge considering the precious nature of the cargo.

I am sorry , I just came across your post and I see that the community has taken good care of you.

The past two trips to Panama City Beach area ,20 mi to the west of where you are intending to go, I take a route down through Auburn, Columbus ,Eufala and Dothan in a S100D, no problem in getting the Tesla Nav to lay in the route and guide.

In a 75X I do not know if the Tesla Nav will come up with the exact duplicate, however the EVTripplanner says that you should have no problem.
I use 'Route Direct' starting from Atlanta with 100% charge to get to Panama City arriving with 15%, with a 75X ( and even a 100D ) it will then post a RED bubble in Panama City which you can change to green by opting to charge for an extended period in Auburn AL

The reverse trip back to Atlanta may use more energy as it done with an elevation gain of around 1000ft and near Atlanta traffic is heavy running at 70-80mph with a large number of tractor-trailers mixed in.
Destination charging in Panama City will have to be checked out I would suggest that you charge to 100% , Free J1772 charging is available at the Technical College in West of Panama City so remember to bring your J1772 to Tesla Adapter as there are no Superchargers between Panama City and Auburn.
Plugshare is your friend.
The Supercharger installations in Dothan and possibly Columbus have been deferred from end of 2017 to sometime in 2018.

It is best IMHO to travel with an extra 10% of charge considering the precious nature of the cargo.

Thanks for this. I couldn't get the Tesla nav to get me there any other way than through Greenville, AL. Since it was my first time, I decided to play it safe and add the extra route. Also, on EVTripplanner, I couldn't find a 75X. I haven't been able to find any EV planner app that didn't take me through Greenville, AL. I'll play with it a little more to see what I can come up with.

Since Panama City doesn't have any superchargers, I decided to stop in Defuniak Springs and charge up to 80%. That should give me enough miles to make most of the week. Also, while I'm not counting on it, I met a nice couple at the charger in Defuniak Springs. The live in Panama City and insisted that I charge at their house while I'm here.

Reactions: Cowby
Another option to plan the trip would be to use:

A Better Routeplanner

If you have any questions email the designer/programmer of ABRP at:

[email protected]

NOT an APP! just login to the site with your own email and password (DO NOT USE THE MY TESLA LOGIN HERE)

Please consider a DONATION to help him cover Amazon Servers. He does not charge for this incredible program. Just select the Donate Button of your choice.

ABRP will have unlimited way-points to build your trip and after you select your Tesla settings:

Battery size
Reference speed
Max Speed
Start Depart Charge
Charger Arrival Charge
Goal Arrival Charge
Outside Temperature
Wind
Road Conditions (Dry,Rain, Snow,)
Extra Weight
Extra Chargers

Enter your Way-points
Note: (you can enter to the right-hand side of each Way-point)
Depart at time
other forms of charging & how long.
click the SuperChargers on the map & select TAKE A LONG BREAK while charging or DO NOT USE THIS SUPERCHARGER! or USE THIS SUPERCHARGER before selecting the Plan Route Button. You can go back and make changes and re-select the Plan Route Button

SAVE Plans made on your desktop computer, tablet or phone to recall in the future when you login while in your car.

Use your MyTesla Login or Token (all very secure) on your car and ABRP will adapt to your cars SOC and work with you on the trip adjusting what is needed to finish the trip or you make changes while on the trip.

This is one incredibly POWERFUL and handy tool, to use when traveling with a Tesla!

search TMC for A BETTER ROUTE PLANNER or blincoln he is the master mind of A BETTER ROUTE PLANNER.

I have nothing to gain from posting this, But felt ABRP would help those newbies to traveling with a TESLA.