TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

North Cape in Winter

Discussion in 'Norway' started by pjw65, Sep 2, 2017.

1. pjw65

pjw65 Member

Is it safe and possible to drive in December from Skellefteå, Schweden to Alta, Norway and use 2 CHAdeMOs in Finland?
    A Better Routeplanner

This looks much faster than using Supercharger in Norway to drive up to Alta.

2. pjw65

pjw65 Member

3. Saimaannorppa

Saimaannorppa Member

Hello, I don't have first hand experience yet, as I ordered my Model S this week. But I am willing to find out details for you if you need (I'm Finnish)? Coincidentally we planned with wife to do a trip and drive up north to Norway some time, but we didn't put that into calendar yet.

There was a blog post in Finnish Tesla club about driving to Norway, you might want to google translate that: Tesla Club Finland

I love the ironical start of it "since we are consistently reminded that you cannot drive an electric car to Lapland, we drove to Norway, as Lapland is nicely there in the middle".

There is also a a blog post in English about Finnish EV practicalities for tourists on the club page.

4. pjw65

pjw65 Member

Thanks, but the post for driving to Norway was in September. I want to drive in December (or probably late February).
    The highest point on the road to Alta (E8 and Rv. 93) is about 400m and the road seems pretty tall. I could not find out, if the road will be closed during winter. The route planner also says, that I should also use the 50 kW Fortum CHAdeMO in Sikka/Levi (+40min. over Rv.80/79) which would give me 4x faster charging than a AC-Charger (Single Charger, max.11 kW). Same was also used in Blog post above.

Found the blog Post about Tourist's Guide to EV Charging in Finland also interesting. I own Plugsurfing and NewMotion and even a Fortum Key (not yet tested).

5. Saimaannorppa

Saimaannorppa Member

Winter is just a normal condition in the north, locals cope with it pretty well and have all the gear to do so. Highways are almost certainly open.

There was also a video about similar trip by other forum member, during mid-winter, you can see road condition in the video. Seemed so easy that it was almost boring. Roadtrip to Nordkapp in a Tesla 90D

6. pjw65

pjw65 Member

Thanks.
    This trip was probably in March (late-winter), because at 13:27 (time from mobile and Tesla at pos 2:27) the sun is up. In December, the sun is never up there. :)

When the highways are open and the charger are functional, I will give it a try.
    Anyone wants to come with me?
    7600 km, start in Zurich at 22.12.2017, back at 7.1.2018.
    My first Nordkapp trip in August 2016