Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Carolina EV Road Use Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It makes me ill to see people actually buy in to the "if it wasn't for government" theory and continue to fall for the "You didn't build that" mentality.

Really? You're actually posting that on a website on the Internet, where that website is discussing a BEV that owes a good chunk of its current position to tax credits, HOV lane access, ZEV and SCoC credits using technologies with significant development and testing in DoE labs.

Back on topic:
Odometer, odometer, odometer. While there's a lot of hand-wringing over issues of Interstate travel, does anybody actually know how much of a funding problem there would be if Registrants just paid based on their state of Registration? I'm sure that anywhere there's a lot of cross-border travel states get screwed over because the people buy their gas in cheaper state, but just how many of the miles are like that? I mean, we barely do any interstate miles. But there are many snowbirds or a-bit-less-snowbirds in Maine and plenty of tourists. However, for at least half the year they're not buying gas here anyway.

Last edited:
Colorado has a EV fee - $50. It also has a $6k tax credit. This is clearly a EV friendly state but has a annual road fee. Please explain their EV annual fee as "just anti-EV garbage".
Why are gasoline cars exempted from the annual road fee? I think that explains my position on these fees. "Because they pay gas taxes (possibly to Virginia or South Carolina, and possibly less than $50 a year)" is not a good answer.

I'm for road fees on cars -- roads are currently funded largely by property tax, sales tax, etc. in most states. I'm against singling out EVs.