Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Central Washington high amperage L2 Charging Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Randy Brooks and I made a presentation to the Grand Coulee Chamber of Commerce with the intention of gaining their support for a community effort to host at least one haL2 (80A) in Grand Coulee. We talked about making this one project of a combined effort to help Grand Coulee Dam visitors move around the area more conveniently. An example would be to have shuttle service from the business district to Grand Coulee Dam.

Reactions: BerTX
Randy Brooks and I made a presentation to the Grand Coulee Chamber of Commerce with the intention of gaining their support for a community effort to host at least one haL2 (80A) in Grand Coulee. We talked about making this one project of a combined effort to help Grand Coulee Dam visitors move around the area more conveniently. An example would be to have shuttle service from the business district to Grand Coulee Dam.
Great, this would give a lot more flexibility to visitors. The EVSE can be located in a spot allowing the car to be left there while shopping and visiting the Dam, both.

Grand Coulee is definitely a good location for an EV fast charger. It would be fantastic if the station could be installed at the dam's visitor's center or perhaps across the river at the tour check-in building. My recent visit to Grand Coulee Dam was made possible by a combination of the Model S's dual chargers and the high amperage charging stations in Chelan, Rocky Reach Dam, Winthrop and elsewhere along highways 2 and 20.

Pullman L3 2017.jpg

Pullman now has an L3 charger; dual head CHAdeMO and CCS.

Reactions: ModelX and Big Earl
This one is kind of out in the middle of nowhere. Are we sure there is a strong enough power source nearby to power high amperage charging?

If this is intended as a humorous comment I get it. If the geographic comment is sincere then let me say that Grand coulee Dam is the largest electric power producer in America. The city of Grand Coulee has infrastructure to support many haL2 (80A) charging opportunities and even L3 could easily be provisioned.

Close Out Report: The Plug-In North Central Washington haL2 project started in August of 2013 with the goal of placing sixteen 70-80A J1772 chargers in central Washington. These were termed haL2 (high amperage Level 2) to differentiate them from 40 - 60 A chargers. At the end of 2018 there are 22 haL2 charging opportunities in our area that assist EV drivers along our major tourism routes of Highway 97 and Highway 2. These stations also completed electrification of the Cascade Loop, the Okanogan Trail and Highway 2 Everett to Spokane. Our last report of kWh dispensed is 46,758 with a little over 3,500 unique charging sessions. While we are done with the haL2 Project we are not finished. Plug-In NCW has two current goals; establishment of an accredited EV Technician training program at Wenatchee Valley College and implement of one L3 charging opportunity in Tonasket, Washington. A BIG thank you to all who contributed money and time to the haL2 Project.
2018 Update EVSE Central WA.png

I am sorry to report that JackA has passed away. I did not know him but this was posted in a local FB Tesla group a couple days ago:

"Very sad news this week. Jack Anderson passed away suddenly while working near his cabin in Curlew, WA this week. Jack was an early Tesla owner and was instrumental in getting electric vehicle chargers installed throughout North Central Washington. He was a founding member of Plug-In NCW. He will be sorely missed by everyone that knew him."