Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Central Washington high amperage L2 Charging Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plug-In NCW in partnership with the City of Tonasket is pleased to announce that they will host a charging opportunity at the Visitor's Center. Tonasket is an excellent location on Highway 97 and the Visitor's Center fronts on the highway, nearly in the center of the town. There is free WI-Fi and a nice park at the same location. Plug-In NCW will be delivering the ClipperCreek CS-100 next week, an electrician has been selected and we expect the site to be operational early in January.

Excellent news, Jack! I've been wanting to travel to the Okanogan Valley and this new charging location will make that a pleasant trip for me.

Plug-In North Central Washington has placed and order for five additional CS-100 EVSE units! We have Host sites for six installations in 2017. The CS-100 will provide up to 54 miles of range per hour of charge depending on your car's equipment. Please consider donating to this effort! check our progress at: www.pluginncw.com

You can also support our effort by using the Amazon Smile program and designating NCWEDD as the charity to support, 100% of these monies goes to Plug-In NCW. Hope to see many of you in our area this tourist season!

002.JPG

You can also support our effort by using the Amazon Smile program and designating NCWEDD as the charity to support, 100% of these monies goes to Plug-In NCW.

Thank you for mentioning this, I had no idea Amazon Smile was a thing, so I set my account up to link to NCWEDD! I am sad to see they donate such a tiny percentage of what I spend (.5% only on selected items), but any amount is more than nothing I guess.

Bandwidth; it is small but Plug-In NCW is averaging about $40 a month from this donation process. I am very proud to say that we spend all of this money on buying charging equipment. We are at this moment in receipt of five ClipperCreek CS-100 units that will be going into Tonasket, Bridgeport, Grand Coulee, Rock Island and potentially the 97 Rock House on US 97 eight miles from the intersection of Highways 97 and 2 near Cashmere. We appreciate your support! Hope to see you in our area this touring season.

Reactions: Big Earl and ModelX
Not this season, as I have no electric car (no car at all currently!) but I have a reservation for a Model 3 and I am originally from Eastern Washington, so I commute over quite frequently. I have never done the Cascade Loop before and your project has really drawn my eye to doing so once I have my car.

Thanks for all your work!

Reactions: Nevek
Double Header! Plug-In North Central Washington validated two CS-100 haL2 (80A) units today. Tonasket and Bridgeport are ready for 80A charging, check PlugShare for detailsons. Tonasket is on Highway 97 and will assist travel in the Okanogan Valley wine country as well as extend the electrification of Highway 20. Bridgeport is intended to assist Methow Valley visitors in getting to the "light Show" at Grand Coulee Dam.

Cashmere, Grand Coulee and Oroville are the next and last of our haL2 projects. We have raised a little over $12,000 for the installations planned for 2017. We have spend nearly $10,000 with ClipperCreek in purchasing the units. We can for sure use your donations. As some of you know Plug-In NCW started this project in 2013 and has now established 16 haL2 (80A) charging opportunities across the state and in the central Washington area. Check our success and see how to participate at: www.pluginncw.com

Join in Charge across Washington by going to: Charge across Washington
This is a free EVent demonstrating that a Nissan Leaf can drive Everett to Spokane on Highway 20. Each charging stop will be a mini-EV show for local residents, pick a place to join us to display your vehicle and claim your tickets so we will know about your intent to help us.

Reactions: goneskiian
Plug-In NCW has borrowed $7,000 to complete are next four installations. Cashmere, Grand Coulee, Oroville and Rosk Island. We have at this point installed 20 haL2 (70-80A) EVSE in our area and are anticipating that many west side residents will EV over for a visit this summer! Donations always welcome....

The attached PDF contains our haL2 use report for October 2016 through April 2017. We visit our haL2 host sites every six months to check on their operation and change batteries on the energy monitors. We down load the data from the Efergy monitors and compile these reports. We anticipate that this next six month period will see the highest use of haL2 since we placed our first unit in 2013.

Attachments

• Charger sessions history 5_2_17.pdf
    82.2 KB · Views: 66
Plug-In North Central Washington is pleased to announce that our Oroville, WA haL2 (80A) charger is operational. It was validated and listed on PlugShare last Friday. Now if you are touring the Okanogan wine region in British Columbia and Washington you have another charging opportunity. The Camaray Motel is located at 1320 main Street, the 80A charger is visible from Highway 97 and is free for any EV to use. To learn more check the PlugShare APP or www.pluginncw.com Our next installation is planned for Grand Coulee then the final unit will be installed in Soap Lake at the city park. The Soap Lake unit will allow nearly all EVs to complete the Wenatchee Ice Age Floods "full" tour or approximately 117 miles. As always your interest and financial support has made these possible. We invite you to drive on over and use them. For some fun drives in our area check this out: Route 97 « Three County Corridor | Road Trips | JackA

Would Plug-In NCW consider doing anything in SWW?

Was out in the woods this weekend, and once again, I was struck by how poorly SW washington was covered by charging. Having some high-amperage chargers in Stevenson, Carson, Bingen/White Salmon, and Trout Lake (that aren't "Guests Only") would really open up all of the Gifford Pinchot forest to electric exploration, and should provide enough range to get up through the forest to US-12 (Randle and Packwood chargers, as well?)

Trout Lake (where I was) is 180 miles R/T from downtown Portland (and +2000 feet), and most Mt. Adams trailheads are another 20-40 miles R/T (and another 2000+ feet) from there. That's really pushing the range for anything but a 100. But a top-off charge in Trout Lake while you're getting a huckleberry milkshake could solve that problem.

I know there's some charging on the OR side (AV chademo in Cascade Locks and Hood River), but if I'm on the WA side, it seems silly to have to cross over the river just to charge...

Both of these routes seem to be pretty absent of any charger for someone who isn't staying at a hotel. I have a 85 battery and I'm not sure if I'll make the round trip. I've checked plugshare and the options are pretty slim. The northern route has a few chargers in Enumclaw -- but based on the reviews, their reliability and lack of charging speed and availability does not produce much confidence for the journey. Many of the listed NEMA 14-50 are not really 220 outlets :(. Might just have to take the ICE :(.

I would assume this is a pretty popular route due to hikes and white water rafting. Any thoughts of putting a charger anywhere on this route? I'm guessing the bottom route would use less energy due to less mountain driving -- I might give it a try -- but it would be pushing it, especially if the temperatures were to dip and/or weather changed.

I could detour through Ellensburg - but that just seems like a waste.

upload_2017-8-16_5-57-42.png

The Soap Lake EV charger is complete, verified, and posted on PlugShare! The enthusiastic support of the City of Soap Lake, and prompt work by Segalini Electric in Ephrata, brought this unit on-line in record time! The charger is located at Smokiam Park, at the north end of town, just off Hwy 17. The Mayor is working on getting “EV charger” signs posted on Hwy 17. The pin on PlugShare is accurate. The statue/sundial there is pretty awesome!

Charger.jpg
Sun Dial.jpg
MS at Charger.jpg

Reactions: hpartsch
Plug-In North Central Washington is ready and able to help with EVSE installations anywhere in Washington. There must be local advocates who can foster the development of Host sites and because we visit our installed locations every six months for cleaning and data reading, there would have to be volunteers in the area to perform these duties. The best approach in my opinion is to establish a group of EV drivers/supporters with the specific goal of placing EVSE on a route or in and area.

Reactions: hpartsch
This is almost a final report.... The attached map shows only Plug-In North Central Washington Hosted sites, there are dozens more if you check on PlugShare or other EV charging APPs. We are currently working hard to add one more haL2 in Grand Coulee so EVs will have an easier time taking in the world famous Grand Coulee Dam Light Show. Make plans to visit us soon.

haL2 Charging Stations 11-2017.png

This is almost a final report.... The attached map shows only Plug-In North Central Washington Hosted sites, there are dozens more if you check on PlugShare or other EV charging APPs. We are currently working hard to add one more haL2 in Grand Coulee so EVs will have an easier time taking in the world famous Grand Coulee Dam Light Show. Make plans to visit us soon.

View attachment 261506
Aren’t you missing your own Soap Lake site?

Thank you, Jack! The Plug-In NCW charging network is fantastic! We charged at several locations this past August in a P85 with dual chargers. That trip to Grand Coulee Dam from Bellingham would not have been possible without your hard work and the generous donations of others.

Reactions: pilotSteve