Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Central Washington high amperage L2 Charging Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
59er Diner EVSE Operational 04/13/2014

The Plug-In North Central Washington 70A EVSE unit at the 59er Diner is operational again. We had to replace the original unit. This has shown me that Plug-In NCW will need to maintain a spare unit as a maintenance backup. The weather is sunny and 68 today so you should be waxing up your Model S and getting over here!

Progress in North Central Washington

Plug-In NCW is continuing to develop the deployment plan for a 70A charging opportunity in Waterville, WA on Highway 2 between Wenatchee and Spokane. The PUD has not provisioned service for an EVSE unit so have had plenty of questions. The Host, "Highway 2 Brew" is moving forward with property modifications in preparation for the new 200 A service the PUD will be installing. This install includes replacing an existing transformer and about 100 feet of trenching! I am estimating that this will be completed in June of this year.

We will be visiting the Mellisoni Estate Winery near Chelan to perform a site survey later this month. The Plug-In board has approved consideration of this location as a Host for a 70A EVSE unit. The winery is located on Highway 97 ALT which is likely the path many drive when visiting Chelan from the Seattle area. I will post more after the visit.

Plug-In NCW is hosting three travel writers for an EV trip along the Cascade Loop as a way of highlighting how EVs can make the entire Loop now. Also, Steve Coram will be driving his Leaf over the North Cascades Highway on Saturday June 7th. This will be the first Leaf crossing and Plug-In NCW is supporting his drive with a shadow car and assistance if there is a problem.

We are still active and appreciate your comments and contributions! When you use a Plug-In NCW charger please consider leaving a "Check In" on PlugShare/Recargo. Thanks. Jack

PS. How could I forget to mention the "North Cascade EV Rally of Discovery" North Cascades Electric Vehicle Rally of Discovery Registration, Mazama - Eventbrite

City of Chelan Challenge

Plug-In NCW just completed coordinating the placement of two additional CS-90 (70A) EVSE units in the City of Chelan. I may be wrong; let me know, but I think this makes Chelan home to more haL2 chargers than any other city in Washington. The city has three units within the city limits.

Awesome work.
Now that the Roadster bug is fixed will you go with 80A in the future or is the added cost not worth it? 70A is amazing so not complaining of course.

We started this project early last year and the CS-90 (70A EVSE) was the best solution to meet one of our project goals; "..provide charging opportunities to all J1772 compliant EVs at the highest amperage.." We predicted that cars would develop the ability to on-board more energy but decided that the 70A EVSE would be relevant for at least five years. There are more issues with 80A chargers than just the cost of the unit. Provisioning the electricity is also more of a challenge. In many areas the additional draw of 19.2 kWs (that's 192,000 Watts) will require the utility providing service to replace an existing transformer. Many of our Host sites were serviced by 10 kW transformers so we have faced this up-grade issue even with the 70 A units.

OK, long answer, sorry. Yes, we are looking at the CS-80/100 EVSE. Just need more donations to pay for them! Jack

Plug-In NCW just completed coordinating the placement of two additional CS-90 (70A) EVSE units in the City of Chelan. I may be wrong; let me know, but I think this makes Chelan home to more haL2 chargers than any other city in Washington. The city has three units within the city limits.

So plugshare.com still only shows one CS-90 in Chelan. Are the other two in the same location?

Plug-In NCW delivered the two new units last week to the City of Chelan Public Works Department. They are scheduling the installations with their own internal assets. My wording of, "coordinating the placement of two additional CS-90..." is obviously misleading. Sorry. These new EVSE units will be announced on Plug-In North Central Washington and listed on the APPs after installation and validation. My expectation is that we will have validation sometime in late June.

Plug-In North Central Washington has started the process of working with the Pybus Market in Wenatchee to place a Clipper Creek CS-80/100 (240V 80A) charger. They will likely also install some NEMA 14-50 and 110V 15A outlets to attract EV tourist. The Phybus is what the Public Market is to Seattle; it is a great place to shop, eat and visit.

New haL2 Sites in North Central Washington

Plug-In NCW has delivered a Clipper Creek CS-90 to the Mellisoni Estate Winery near Chelan and has signed up the Pybus Public Market in Wenatchee for a CS-100. The CS-100 was donated by Matt and Laura Moreno (Turbofroggy) at the awards breakfast for the North Cascades EV Rally of Discovery. What a great way to end a "Fun" raiser! The Mellisoni Estate Winery is not scheduled to be operational for several months as they are building a new building. When completed they will have one haL2 (70A), one 240V40A (NEMA 14-50) and one 120V15A outlet to provide charging opportunities to any EV that visits. The Pybus Market (check their website) is to central Washington what the Public Market is to Puget Sound. We are planning to have the Pybus Market open by early August. We can use your donations! Because the CS-90 is not as "all inclusive" as the CS-80/100 e have decided to start purchasing them; yes they are more expensive however, they seem to be able charge nearly all EVs. Check our website for details.

CS-100 Now at the Pybus Public Market in Wenatchee

Plug-In North Central Washington has finalized the installation of a Clipper Creek CS-100 at the Pybus Public Market in Wenatchee. The Pybus is to north central Washington what the Pike Place market is to the Seattle area. Excellent Famer's Markets, great food and beverages all in a very cool refurbished steel fabrication plant. This haL2 EVSE will provide 240V at 74A so should be an excellent recharge point. The Pybus Market boarders the Wenatchee Columbia River parks system and trail plus there is a sky walk to downtown. Check it out!

Plug-In North Central Washington is pleased to announce that our latest charging opportunity is ready for your use at the Pybus Public Market in Wenatchee. Most people who walk into Pybus Market for the first time look up to the rafters and say something like “very cool” or “wow” or “feels comfortable.” That’s because the building is all of that, and way more. It has been said: “Pybus Market is a look at our future, through our past; a building twice scrapped but now the envy of many.” The Pybus Public Market hosts both farmer's markets and full-time eateries, arts and produce vendors. The charging station is located on the small building at the north end of the main building. You can charge at 240 Volts and 75 Amps while eating or shopping the market. Want your exercise …. or just a chance to enjoy the beauty of the mighty Columbia River? Either way, the famous 10 mile paved trail called the Apple Capital Loop Trail is perfect for walkers and bikers alike. And it’s adjacent to Pybus Market. The Sky Walk to downtown is within easy walking distance too.

Attachments

• Pybus Public Mrket.jpg
    Pybus Public Mrket.jpg
    807.3 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
New haL2 Opportunity Announced

Plug-In NCW and the Twisp River Pub provide a haL2 (240V70A) charging opportunity on Highway 20. Enjoy excellent locally sourced food and experience craft beer at its best while sitting in an open air patio by the river. Within a short walk you can be in the center of Twisp, with its many eateries and interesting shops or strolling along the Methow River.
201 North Methow Valley Hwy, Twisp, WA 98856 (888) 220-3360, (509) 997-6822 This installation has an extended reach cable to allow the Clipper Creek CS-90 to be mounted on the wall but still reach the curb side parking spot.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 247
Plug-In NCW and the Twisp River Pub provide a haL2 (240V70A) charging opportunity on Highway 20. Enjoy excellent locally sourced food and experience craft beer at its best while sitting in an open air patio by the river. Within a short walk you can be in the center of Twisp, with its many eateries and interesting shops or strolling along the Methow River.
201 North Methow Valley Hwy, Twisp, WA 98856 (888) 220-3360, (509) 997-6822 This installation has an extended reach cable to allow the Clipper Creek CS-90 to be mounted on the wall but still reach the curb side parking spot.
Ha! I was just in Twisp yesterday and missed it.

Again, thanks so much for your continuing efforts! This weekend we did the Cascade Loop. Charged in Mazama (twice), Winthrop, Chelan and Wenatchee on PI-NCW chargers. Would have done Pateros and the 59er but didn't really need the charge. You guys truly have made a difference. By the way, the Mazama Country Inn got at least 2 sets of guests this weekend due to their chargers. I met a guy from Ferndale with another Tesla who was staying there. I hope other hotels and inns are seeing the benefit. We need these success stories to get out there.

City of Chelan Mural Begins

The City of Chelan has commissioned a mural to highlight the two haL2 (208V 70A) Plug-In NCW chargers they installed. This is the first partnership with a city government and it has been slow, but rewarding. One unexpected benefit is that the city has enhanced the site by removing old fencing and by placing this mural, highlighting the EV charging spots. The mural depicts the Chelan power house and wind turbines. In the concept drawing the physical conduit from the load center/meter base is incorporated as connecting lines from the power house to the haL2 chargers. This painting started Saturday morning and is expected to be completed today. Plug-In NCW has two new installations in play, one in Douglas County the other in Chelan County. Visit http://www.pluginncw.com for more information.

Attachments

• Chelan Mural.JPG
    Chelan Mural.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 198
City of Chelan Mural Completed

I stopped by today (29 August 2014) and this is how the charging corner looks now. Very visible. These are on PlugShare and other Apps. We are continuing to find new opportunities for charging in north central Washington. May be we should go state wide...

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 161
How Cool

I stopped by today (29 August 2014) and this is how the charging corner looks now. Very visible. These are on PlugShare and other Apps. We are continuing to find new opportunities for charging in north central Washington. May be we should go state wide...
Nice, a charge with a view. I have to believe we'll be seeing some new and creative charging stations. That of course will provide jobs for mural artists and soon every city in America will have their own mural charger. I have to believe charging stations will provide lots of jobs we haven't even thought about yet. Food, drinks, movies and other entertaining activities. Want your car washed while you wait? No problem. It'll be interesting to see. A new evolution in the automobile world. The world of EV's.