Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Dakota Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really wanted to drop in on the DAPL protests a couple months ago but couldn't get there in any reasonable amount of time due to the lack of ND superchargers! Seemed ironic to me at the time!
I think you would have been very disappointed in what you would have seen. Regardless of one's stance on oil, the protests were disgraceful. A few with legitimate concerns were overrun by many with their own agendas, tainting the overall effectiveness of it. What is ironic is: 1. the fact that the Sioux Tribal Chairman owned the only gas station and convenience store close to where everyone was camping out. 2. Everyone showed up at the protests but no one showed up for 2 yrs of scheduled meetings between DAPL and the Corp Of Engineers meeting to discuss the issues. 3. The damage to local area and the damage done to surrounding ranchers and farmers properties. this list could go on and on but if anyone is interested there are many more non-biased sites to get the facts.

Last edited:
It's a private group. If you were interested in joining here is the link: Log into Facebook | Facebook

And I couldn't agree more. Bismarck and Fargo are requirements for me to keep using the car when going east.

Nice to see another ND Tesla owner on here. There are very few of us in the area. SuperChargers would help make that change in the future. I want to try the entire trip from Fargo to Minneapolis, but don't think I can make it in the winter even with 100% charge. Is Clearwater the best stop between Fargo and the Cities?

Forgive me for butting in here, since I'm from NJ where it's a balmy 15 degrees, but I did drive from Minnesota to Fargo in the summer on the way to Winnipeg. Looking at evtripplanner, I think Fargo to Clearwater would be risky in the winter. With an outside temp of 0 and no wind, it says it would use 276 rated miles. If you had any kind of wind, eg 10 mph, it would use 303 rates miles or 464 Wh/mile. On a milder, calm day you could probably do it, but you'll know the likely conditions better than me.

If you go via Baxter, it looks easily doable, but I don't know what those roads are like in the winter.

I suggest you play about with evtripplanner.

EV Trip Planner

Reactions: ibracem
Nice to see another ND Tesla owner on here. There are very few of us in the area. SuperChargers would help make that change in the future. I want to try the entire trip from Fargo to Minneapolis, but don't think I can make it in the winter even with 100% charge. Is Clearwater the best stop between Fargo and the Cities?

With a full charge on a P100D, you should be totally fine to make it from Fargo to Clearwater, even in sub-zero weather. If you are especially concerned, you could try routing through Baxter, but I don't think it's necessary.

In winter weather conditions, i assume i will use .5 kwh per mile. So if clearwater is 185 miles, i wouldnt be comfortable with less than 95 kwh of useable charge. There are numerous methods of reducing actual useage, but as you know, there are fews options if you run short. Recent trip in single digit temps with minimal wind, I used 115kwh to travel 224 miles. I would have never attempted the trip without knowing I had 2 supercharging options.

In winter weather conditions, i assume i will use .5 kwh per mile. So if clearwater is 185 miles, i wouldnt be comfortable with less than 95 kwh of useable charge. There are numerous methods of reducing actual useage, but as you know, there are fews options if you run short. Recent trip in single digit temps with minimal wind, I used 115kwh to travel 224 miles. I would have never attempted the trip without knowing I had 2 supercharging options.

Believe me, I know the concerns and limitations, but there are workarounds. My best advice is to heat up your car while getting your full charge, then bundle up and use seat warmers for personal heat. Only use defrost as necessary for proper vision. Drive at or below the speed limit. Be as conservative as possible for the first part of your trip. Keep an eye on your rated miles and actual miles remaining and be sure you are keeping an appropriate pace. If not, either slow down further or make arrangements to charge at some other point along the trip (you should have some emergency backup plans for this purpose. Even an hour at a level 2 charger should do the trick).

If you take all of the above precautions, the Fargo to Clearwater trip should not be difficult to pull off. And after doing it once or twice, you might get a feel for what you can get away with in terms of heating and speed. But yes, of course, if you just blast the heat and drive 80mph the whole way, and have no backup plan, you might find yourself in a predicament.

Hi! I made the jaunt from Eden Prairie to Fargo (Element Hotel) at with 96% charge, pretty much zero climate control, and some interesting aero optimizations. I wouldn't recommend it in anything less than a fully charged 85D or better. I'm in a P85 with almost 60k miles, but it was one of the tightest stretches I've made to date.

With Clearwater added I wouldn't have any hesitation about Fargo to MSP to Fargo or vice versa, with the only caveat being moderate winds and sub 20* temps. Since its been -10* or colder here many days in the last month I guess that was a really big caveat.

My struggle is I need to be able to do trips to Bismarck (98 miles from my home to the middle off-ramp) and zero charging facilities. I'm lucky to have a friend in Mandan and one in New Salem with a 14-50 NEMA plugs in their garages, but it's easy to see that I don't want to abuse those privileges when Tesla was showing SCs being installed in ND in 2015 and we still have zero.

msksus1 - If I could use that much heat and make it through my day I would haha. I'm very used to keeping the seat as warm as possible and the windshield open having zero options to supercharge unless the temps are perfect and little wind. My closest supercharger is in Rapid City SD 226.0 miles from my house and I've made that trip multiple times now. It's always interesting. (11 and 9 miles remaining the last two times as I recall, and I was being quite nice to make that happen!)

lightfoot3b: i grew up south of Bismarck so I know how miserable your winters are. We finally got our superchargers in NE in last 2 weeks. So I can relate to making some very uncomfortable trips in a cold car and driving incredibly conservative. I have passed my 4 yr anniversary of owning my Model S. I am having problems justifying driving a $100k+ car and making substantial sacrifices to enjoy it. I kind of knew what I was getting into when purchased it, just didn't think I'd have to wait 3+ years longer than I was led to believe from Tesla to use it more than a "commuter car" or a "grocery getter".
Dont get me wrong, I still love it and have 2 model 3's on order, but I got tired of explaining why I am driving 57 mph on interstate and have my car heater off, to my passengers. These passengers think - your driving a expensive car that is really cool but cant drive any faster than my corolla. Or trying to justify why I need a winter car too.
I hope ND gets superchargers up and running soon, I would love to drive my Tesla home. But as of now and the foreseeable future, my winter car will still be needed. Others on here are more punch-drunk on the koolaide, I know my car can be driven 400 plus miles if I drive 30 mph and on relatively flat surfaces and every electrical function off. I dont always have 9 hrs to make a 300 mile trip or the desire to drive 200 extra miles out of the way to complete what should be a simple 300 trip.
Enjoy your car and hopefully Bismarck, Fargo and Dickinson will get SC this summer. As you know as well as anyone, you dont want to get caught in the middle of winter in the middle of nowhere without a charge in ND.

100% what you said! I've been lucky, and can actually borrow a car from my parents who also live in town if I require a winter trip I can't make. I also understand when the early purchases/highly motivated of us are in sparsely populated or just sparsely purchasing areas, but that doesn't make it any easier for us either.

Reactions: msksus1
I have wanted to see the nuclear silo installation that remains near Cooperstown. I was in Mpls two years ago, but did not wish to spend the better part of two days charging at L2 rates to reach Cooperstown and then head south to South Dakota via Aberdeen before returning home along the Supercharger Highway.

I hope these get installed quickly this year so I can take a leisurely drive across 90 and 94 and then return across the Rockies.

Reactions: lightfoot3b