Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Dakota Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in South Dakota and am shopping for a Tesla Model X. I live just south of Aberdeen so I can understand how you guys in North Dakota feel. While we do have a few SC along I-90 the rest of the state has been ignored. Would really like to feel some SC love in at least Watertown and Sioux Falls. Right now, if I had a Tesla and wanted to go from my house to Minneapolis (a trip I make often) rather than going straight across highway 212 like I do now, I would have to go down to I-90, over to Worthington, MN, and angle across MN up to 169 and into the cities. Almost 200 miles out of my way! But there is nothing for chargers across SD and MN along 212 except for a few campgrounds which usually aren't open in the winter. Crossing my fingers and hoping both our states see a few more get built this year!
hoping North Dakota and South Dakota will get some more superchargers too. I drive to Linton and Bismarck ND several times a year and currently not enough practical charging options are available for driving my Tesla. I29 and I94 need several. Hopefully once the Mode 3 gets rolled out, the money will become avail to add more superchargers in the midwest.

Aberdeen to Clearwater would be doable in the summer time for sure. What about winter though? Don't you lose about 40 percent of your range in the winter? Plus I'm 30 miles south of Aberdeen so would have to add another 30 miles to those numbers.

I'm pretty confident that sales of the Model 3 and the new Supercharger fees will give Tesla the necessary capital to do some major expansion. That's my hope anyway.

Does this proposal mean all the charger installations in ND in the near future will be Chargepoint installations? And If so, does that mean Tesla will back down from their planned Supercharger installations this year along I-94? Maybe somebody can explain the differences between the two since I haven't used either yet (I charge at home). For example, do you have to pay to use the Chargepoint chargers? Are they as fast as the Superchargers? If so, I would have Superchargers installed. I am just worried that if the C.L.E.A.N. group plans to install all these chargers across the state, Tesla won't go through with their original plan. They will check ND off the list and focus on somewhere else. And if the government is responsible for installation, their plan might not be implemented as quickly.

I cannot comment about Tesla's plans. I would guess that Tesla is committed to providing Supercharging throughout the entire continental United States. I would not fret about a sudden shift in Tesla's strategy.

Superchargers are direct current charging stations. They can provide up to ~120kWh of juice immediately upon plugging in. This rate tapers as the battery fills.

Chargepoint is a third party who designs, builds, maintains, and charges for electric vehicle charging (yes, some locations are free--it depends upon who the property owner is and what arrangements the property owner has to pay for the juice.) Tesla's DC charging hardware and software are unique to Tesla, so when Chargepoint builds DC charging in North Dakota or anywhere, Chargepoint will have to use public domain (for lack of a better term) connections. These are CHAdeMo, CCS and maybe one other. These arrangements are incompatible with Tesla. Currently Tesla manufactures and sells a CHAdeMO adapter, but there is no adapter available for CCS and the other one.

Most of Chargepoint's installations today are AC (level 2) charging. Typically they are 30A stations, but there are a handful of 60-70 and 80A stations out there.

Anyway, I would just relax and let Tesla complete Interstates 94 and 29 at their leisure. You will soon no longer be on an island in a sea of Superchargers!

Aberdeen to Clearwater would be doable in the summer time for sure. What about winter though? Don't you lose about 40 percent of your range in the winter? Plus I'm 30 miles south of Aberdeen so would have to add another 30 miles to those numbers.

I'm pretty confident that sales of the Model 3 and the new Supercharger fees will give Tesla the necessary capital to do some major expansion. That's my hope anyway.

I find the winter range loss is most evident if you are making many short trips....you will have many cycles of the battery getting warm then cold then warm.

If you are going for a long trip, and leave with a warm battery, the range hit will be less. You will not have a 40% hit from cold alone in this scenario, not even significantly below zero f. If there is snow, a head wind, and cold, then you could see 40%, it would have to be brutal.

Making that 240 mile stretch would take some planning and math. There are bailout options, one 80 amp HPWC, if it just is not going to happen.

I admit it is not for the novice etc., but if you are a pioneer and nerd, you should be able to make it in an S85 or better. As an example, I did a 257 trip in my not fully charged S85 in temps averaging about 35f. I finished with 17 estimated remaining. 274 is a lot more than 240, set the cruise at 61 when roads allowed that speed.

The be patient comments, haha. I've been on the "this year" map for 3 straight years. :D

Rumor mill in Dickinson ND is Tesla was hunting for businesses to in some way pay for the superchargers by wanting them at "their" location vs another. Not very strong info here, but interesting if found to be true.

If the purpose is to enable travel and make ownership more doable so that people will purchase more cars then I'd think ND would win easily. There are already gobs of Tesla's in Hawaii and I'd think it somewhat rare that someone would want to do a trip that would require more than a single full charge. You'd need to toodle around one island a fair bit and then ferry to another and toodle around a bit there to go through a charge. With The Superferry shut down I don't know that there's a way to do that.

That leaves the needs of apartment and condo dwellers who's landlords refuse to provide charging and I'm not sure how much sales potential there is from those.

Reactions: lightfoot3b
Well I see that Little Rock has gained a permit for a supercharger. ND is going to be the last state with chargers. Hopefully this happens in 2017.

I can't imagine Tesla wouldn't want to install superchargers in North Dakota before the Model 3 Reveal.
Wouldn't that be a big point of pride for them, being able to say that they have the entire contiguous United States covered by their supercharger network?

I can't imagine Tesla wouldn't want to install superchargers in North Dakota before the Model 3 Reveal.
Wouldn't that be a big point of pride for them, being able to say that they have the entire contiguous United States covered by their supercharger network?

I'm not so sure that it matters before the reveal. The more important date is before Midwest deliveries of Model 3s start to happen. However, I believe that ND will see at least one supercharger before the end of the summer and the whole I-94 corridor in ND before winter.

Reactions: msksus1
I agree with Viking26. Tesla doesn't worry to much about artificially imposed deadlines. I would bet that ND gets at least 3 or 4 superchargers before the year end. If you give me odds, I'd go with July. They seem to have been ramping up Supercharger installation in the midwest and as they expressed in the recent conference call, they will be putting a lot of effort into expanding ( doubling) their supercharger network.

Reactions: VIKING26