Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Dakota Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The smart money says that NC will be the last of the lower 48 to get its first SuperCharger. Arkansas is still in the running, but there's a build team rolling up the I-30, and Texarkana is centered in their sights.

Supercharger | Tesla Motors, click on the 2016 and it shows you what Tesla's thinking to have by the end of the year.
History says that:
- it's not definitive
- they always add fewer each year than they say they're planning to add.

You can use the map to see the areas they're looking.
Then you can check online for permits and news, or contact planning/code enforcement departments to see whether they've had any contact from Tesla.

I think that ND will be the last state to get SC. Right now the additional driving required by taking Interstate 90 from Billings to reach the Twin Cities is not enough for Tesla to worry about by installing Superchargers in eastern Montana and across North Dakota along Interstate 94.

I cannot say with any confidence, but Manitobans and others going to and from Winnipeg to the lower 48 is not a large segment of the Tesla-driving population. Clearly the Fargo area will receive a Supercharger. But it could just as easily be placed in Moorhead.

I think Tesla is about two years away from building out Interstates 94 and 29. In fact, I could see that once Interstate 80 is completed then Tesla will place SC along Interstates like I29.

I hope I am wrong for those who would like to be able to drive that part of the country.

Maybe I should stop checking supercharge.info multiple times a day for permit / construction updates around ND.

Since you are from Fargo, it might be easier to get a mole in the building permit department to keep you informed if/when Tesla applies for a building permit for your area. (Although, it ultimately might be located across the border in Moorhead.)

What is not clear is if Tesla will build north from Fargo to Grand Forks and Winnipeg before or simultaneous to across Interstate 94 to Billings.

We need local sleuths like you to keep our Supercharger permit/construction/opening fix!

On the optimistic side, the recent start of construction for the Oakdale, MN SpC indicates to me that I-94 is on the 2016 build plan. How quickly it will go is anyone's guess. Recall, though, that Montana went from no superchargers to seven in a matter of months, once Tesla focused on I-90.

Possible Fargo SC update - I heard from an "involved party" that there are already talks of putting the Fargo SC in the West Acres Shopping Center parking lot on the 13th Ave side. I called West Acres and the operations manager said he has heard of Tesla, but said he has no clue about a SC. I'm assuming he knows and is keeping it quiet since my source seemed rather detailed about where it was going in the parking lot.

Possible Fargo SC update - I heard from an "involved party" that there are already talks of putting the Fargo SC in the West Acres Shopping Center parking lot on the 13th Ave side. I called West Acres and the operations manager said he has heard of Tesla, but said he has no clue about a SC. I'm assuming he knows and is keeping it quiet since my source seemed rather detailed about where it was going in the parking lot.
Awesome! A few months ago I submitted that location as a suggestion for a Supercharger location through the Supercharger page online. That would be a great spot to have one for travel along both I-94 & I-29.

Awesome! A few months ago I submitted that location as a suggestion for a Supercharger location through the Supercharger page online. That would be a great spot to have one for travel along both I-94 & I-29.
A few years ago I submitted the same suggestion. I never heard anything back from the Supercharger team.

Since I live in Fargo and will have at home charging I'm not too concerned about the Fargo SC location. I'm more concerned about the St. Cloud, Jamestown, and Bismarck SC locations.

I heard from an electrician that he is installing a Clipper Creek charger at West Acres. I'm guessing the person I talked to had this confused with a SC. It's looking more and more that the I-94 corridor won't be started until 2017.

I was thinking about a trip through ND and looking at various options. Once I-94 work gets started, it seems clear that several cities are must haves, with little or no alternatives (as shown on the Tesla SC site). For example, assuming Fargo is a given (intersection of I-94 & I-29), the required westward locations include well-spaced Jamestown (96 mi), Bismark (102 mi), and Dickinson (98 mi). Into Montana, there is only one new location on Tesla's 2016 map, but this seems to be a bit too far. I suggest that they will require two, one at Glendive, MT (98 mi to Dickinson) and the other at either Forsyth, Miles City or perhaps Custer (roughly splitting the remaining 222 mi to Billings). Heading north on I-29 requires Grand Forks (80 mi) and Pembina (76 mi) to reach Winnipeg (70 mi). Interestingly, heading south on I-29 shows nothing planned, but will likely require Watertown (145 mi), Sioux Falls (88 mi), and Sioux City(95 mi) to bridge gaps.

So that's a challenge to all you electrical permit hunters. However, if I were to guess, I'd say they won't complete I-94 until next summer. At best, they might finish Minneapolis to Fargo before winter, but even that could be problematic without sites already located.

I heard from an electrician that he is installing a Clipper Creek charger at West Acres. I'm guessing the person I talked to had this confused with a SC. It's looking more and more that the I-94 corridor won't be started until 2017.

Spoke with a Tesla employee involved with the supercharger team in Minnesota. They had confirmed St. Cloud (I-94) supercharger before the years end, and Alexandria next year.

Spoke with a Tesla employee involved with the supercharger team in Minnesota. They had confirmed St. Cloud (I-94) supercharger before the years end, and Alexandria next year.
Good to hear. How did you get in touch with someone on the team? I've heard that they are pretty tight lipped about this.

Hopefully they don't push the "next year" Alexandria charger out until 2018.

Good to hear. How did you get in touch with someone on the team? I've heard that they are pretty tight lipped about this.

Hopefully they don't push the "next year" Alexandria charger out until 2018.

Apparently the team involved met last week with an employee from the Minneapolis Tesla service center, I was also surprised he mentioned the specifics. I just so happened to be there for diagnostics. But he seemed pretty certain. I hope this is the case. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: VIKING26
And then there is little old me sitting in Dickinson, barely able to get to Bismarck and back in fair weather!

I'm super excited to see them heading up i-94 out of MN though, some progress is better than the two years of zero progress even though were were slated for '15 and now '16, which we are running out of very quickly. If I could get Bismarck and Fargo (plus the Clearwater one going in) I'd be set for now almost required pre-paid maintenance trips to MN since they stopped doing the complimentary hauling of a loaner out to me. I've made the trip once, it adds a full day getting to and from MSP with all day driving. The Clearwater stop makes it a cakewalk to go Fargo to MSP now. I did the whole tour of the MN superchargers (north side) when I went from Fargo to MSP. MSP to Fargo I stretched it very carefully and made it on a 96% charge (wouldn't try that again, luckily won't have to). Also nice to have two charging options in Fargo right now as I was there for the opening of the mall charger (as I suspect some of you were as well.)

I made quite the case for the Jamestown SC due to my multiple trips to and from Fargo. I detailed the weather conditions and elevation changes citing my difficulty simply going from Fargo to Bismarck at the speed limit in average wind speeds. Add in weather conditions from November to April and it can actually become impossible without potentially having frostbite. The Jamestown dot appeared a couple months after that note was sent in, so that was really nice to see.

I'm thinking they will just do miles city between Dickinson and Billings since that's 173 miles(and then 145 miles from MC TO Billings). Fargo to Bismarck is 196 and an 800 foot climb (normally into the wind). Dickinson to Miles City elevation change is nearly non existent with only a 60 foot decrease.

Lastly I've made a push with some people in Medora ND (tourist area) for destination charging provided by the city (selling on the tourist part, Theodore Roosevelt being all about conservation, and making it attractive to Tesla owners by simply providing it, and how low cost it would be to do, plus marketing it as a green initiative (again in the spirit of TR)). They haven't been very receptive.

Reactions: msksus1
Stopped by Clearwater MN SC construction site. Looks like they will have 8 chargers there. Hope another 6 to 8 weeks.

Attachments

• tmp-cam-236256691.jpg
    tmp-cam-236256691.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: msksus1