Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Dalas: Anyone willing to show off their Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, very happy with the discount! The car was built before the price increase so there's another $5K savings. A just about loaded P85+ for $95,500 after fed tax rebate. I'm tickled about that!

I have my fusebox right at the car, thinking I'll just install the outlet myself. I've installed 2 extra regular 110V outlets in the garage already for shop tools so I figure the 240V outlet should be pretty straight forward.

Yes, very happy with the discount! The car was built before the price increase so there's another $5K savings. A just about loaded P85+ for $95,500 after fed tax rebate. I'm tickled about that!

I have my fusebox right at the car, thinking I'll just install the outlet myself. I've installed 2 extra regular 110V outlets in the garage already for shop tools so I figure the 240V outlet should be pretty straight forward.

I've already done three 14-50s so far for my S85. If you're in West Plano, I bet I could carve out some time to help out. Go to the Home Depot on Park. I bet they still have some remnants of some 6-3 that I snagged a while back. It's half off, too!

If you're getting a HPWC, that's a different animal but shouldn't be that big of a deal.

My thinking right now is to put the plug right below the breaker box. I have unused punch outs in the bottom of the box that I can use for the 6-3 romex. Then looks like a 2-gang electrical box and the NEMA 14-50 receptacle. Only issue I see is that the plug will be at the driver's door, and I don't want it sticking out into the garage. So I need the charging cable to have a 90 degree plug, like clothes dryers have. Maybe I'll get a second charge cable, cut the plug off and install a 90 dgr plug on it?

Yes, I'm in west Plano (independence & McDermott. Any help is gratefully accepted. :)

No plan to get a HPWC. I would probably need to upgrade my service and I don't see the point of charging the car at that rate. I won't empty the battery driving around town and then need to go a long distance just a few hours later. I might drive 60 miles during the day, and then I have all night to charge. A typical drive will be more like 20-30 miles. I'm only 8 miles from work.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked at pictures of the charge cable and it already has a 90 dgr plug on it. Looks like I'm golden. Won't need a second cable.

I'm wondering about the NEMA 14-50 adapter though: Would it make sense to install a receptacle for whatever the the charge cable has at the end of it rather than a 14-50? That way I wouldn't need the adapter. What kind of plug is that? Is it easily available?

The plug at the end is the tesla adapter that has been the subject of much debate over the past few weeks.

The cable does have a 90 elbow, but not before protruding via the plug and adapter. If you are concerned about it being flush with the wall, you might want to reconsider the placement of the receptacle.