Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Georgia Mountains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
So I did my first 'drive' today up to and in the North Georgia mountains. Left Smyrna drove up GA 400 to Dahlonega. I kept it at 65mph on the way there to keep my wife feeing good about range, and I guess me too. Then drove up and over Neel's Gap down and then back up to the parking lot on top of Brasstown Bald (highest point in Georgia) then over Unicoi Gap and down to Helen Georgia. Which is supposed to look like a Alpine Bavarian German Town. Then over to Gainesville and back to Smyrna. Whole trip was 217.3 miles, the last 80 I stopped caring about range as I knew I had plenty so I was doing 85+ on the Interstate. I started with a full range charge, and finished with 24 miles left in the bank. I now have no doubts about making it to my brothers house in Charlotte. And does this car do 60-90 stupidly fast or what?!?!!

As we were getting into the foothills this came up on the radio. Not a good sign. I think this car might attract Velociraptors, I have not had this happen with any other car. I think Tesla should warn us somehow. Or at least let us know the risks!

And for you people out west. Here in Georgia we have 'gaps' they are what you would call a 'mountain pass' if you didn't know.

Velociraptor.jpg

First peak was Neel's gap, very close to the start of the Appalachian trail. Including the only portion of the trail to go underneath a man made structure (no good pic).
NeelGap.jpg

AppTrailhead.jpg

About half a mile from the top of the gap two BMWs and a GSX were hauling up the road. And about a quarter of a mile from the top we saw one BMW in the ditch on the wrong side of the road. No one was hurt, and somehow only dirt and scratches on the BMW. His other BMW buddy and the GSX buddy helped get him out of the ditch.
AppTrail.jpg

Mountains.jpg

There is an overlook of the valley at this gap, and it is always pretty even on cold cloudy days.

LowerGear.jpg

Uh I don't have a lower gear. I only have this one?!?!? I saw a bunch of these.

Brasstown2.jpg

Next stop was Brasstown Bald. Highest point in Georgia, and there is a parking lot really close to the top. The last 3 miles of road are REALLY steep I think the average grade is ~18-20% over the ENTIRE 3 miles. Coming down I was full regen and accelerated to about 30 mph in a couple of sections.

Brasstown.jpg

The tower is at the very top.

EnergyUpDown.jpg

Mountains to cool things to your energy graph.

Woods.jpg

Last gap Unicoi gap. Also along the Appalachian trail. The pavement is so nice on this gap and going up and down is so much fun. I prefer doing it on a bicycle but the S was great.

Charging.jpg

I blitzed the last 80 miles. I paid little attention to range as I knew I had plenty. Got home with 24 miles to spare. I burned about 15 miles of my buffer in the last 80 miles. But I was going 85+ on the interstate so not unexpected.

Done.jpg

Total trip was 217.3 miles. I used 70.1 kWh with an average usage of 323 Wh/mi.

After I got into my garage and turned the car off I got this message (I don't know if has been posted before, I'll make a thread if I can't find one)

ColdIsLowerBattery.jpg

After this trip the 240 miles to my brother's house in Charlotte should be easy. I love this car. It handled great during the whole trip.

I did a range charge. I think I could have made it on a standard, but it would have been tight. And I would have had to keep it at 65 on I85. I actually drove up all the gaps at about 40-45 when I could. It wasn't really slow, but I wasn't racing up them either. The car was rock solid going up and down the mountain. And I found out I get better energy usage when I do NOT look at the instant power gauge. I wasn't really paying a lot of attention to the power stuff while driving, just my 'rated miles' left.

I live about 8 miles from I75 and I285 on the north side. So if you are closer to GA400 then I think you could easily do it on a standard charge. Keep it to 65mph and about 40-45 going up the mountains.

I did a range charge. I think I could have made it on a standard, but it would have been tight. And I would have had to keep it at 65 on I85. I actually drove up all the gaps at about 40-45 when I could. It wasn't really slow, but I wasn't racing up them either. The car was rock solid going up and down the mountain. And I found out I get better energy usage when I do NOT look at the instant power gauge. I wasn't really paying a lot of attention to the power stuff while driving, just my 'rated miles' left.

I live about 8 miles from I75 and I285 on the north side. So if you are closer to GA400 then I think you could easily do it on a standard charge. Keep it to 65mph and about 40-45 going up the mountains.

Thanks for the information!!

cool trip. thanks for sharing w/ pics. i used to live in Atlanta so i have a soft spot for the north GA mountains...

BTW - quick question... on the charging screen, there's something called "Charge Current" and it says 40A. Is that adjustable? i don't get it...

cool trip. thanks for sharing w/ pics. i used to live in Atlanta so i have a soft spot for the north GA mountains...

BTW - quick question... on the charging screen, there's something called "Charge Current" and it says 40A. Is that adjustable? i don't get it...

Yes the charging current is adjustable. I have a NEMA 14-50 so 40A is the maximum I can draw. But I can turn it down to 1A if I wanted to. I don't see a real reason to do that yet. If you use a frakenextension cord it would come in handy. And if you only wanted to keep the car on 'shore power' but not pull a lot of power, for cost reasons, you could set it at 1A and maintain the battery but not pull to much from the wall.

Actually right after I took that picture was the first time I messed with that setting. I put it down to 30A then back up to 40A. The car responds pretty quickly.

Yes the charging current is adjustable. I have a NEMA 14-50 so 40A is the maximum I can draw. But I can turn it down to 1A if I wanted to. I don't see a real reason to do that yet. If you use a frakenextension cord it would come in handy. And if you only wanted to keep the car on 'shore power' but not pull a lot of power, for cost reasons, you could set it at 1A and maintain the battery but not pull to much from the wall.

Actually right after I took that picture was the first time I messed with that setting. I put it down to 30A then back up to 40A. The car responds pretty quickly.

FYI..you can only turn it down to 5 A for a 14-50 outlet (or any 240?)
that is how I charge at my home if I plug in. I don't need more than that typically

This is really cool, thanks for posting! Gives me some confidence about driving through the mountains (partially on the blue ridge parkway) up to Sevierville, TN to visit my brother (about ~200 miles) in a 60kWh...

Nice pictures ElSupreme. I live in Tifton, GA and I commute to Atlanta everyweek. It's about 225 miles one-way and working very well with Max Range. Total charge typically when I leave home will be ~274 miles and will have about ~25 miles juice after I reach the office with 65mph max speed. So drive between Atlanta to Charlotte should be fine.

I also noticed something weird. About 3 hours after getting home I set out to pickup some Chinese takeout (but it becomes pickup when you have a new car). I unplugged my cord (it was actively charging). And got directly into the car. No picture but the 'outside temp' was in the mid 90s (and rapidly falling, it was at 91 when my garage door finally opened, and at 70 when I got to the end of my neighborhood. It was probably 55 in my garage, and about 40 outside. I suspect charging the car heats up something near the exterior temperature probe. The only reason I caught it was because my AC started blasting when I got in the car.