Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas Toll Tags

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's mine
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410297085.390511.jpg

On my car, it's on the roof directly behind the mirror. If you zoom in, you should be able to see the distortion in the clouds.

Still not working at DFW, but I need to play with it at the airport when I have time.

Here's mine View attachment 58704

On my car, it's on the roof directly behind the mirror. If you zoom in, you should be able to see the distortion in the clouds.

Still not working at DFW, but I need to play with it at the airport when I have time.

Thanks and looks good. Mine is Silver and solid roof ..just wondering how to camouflage it?

How does it look from the long shot...does it look obvious?

someone mentioned in this post that NTTA will charge more to look up the car using license plate...does anybody know how much it is? Does it depend on the road and the distance?

From a different angle, you can't see it at all on the black. I would try the same method near the mirror like Chris TX suggested.

If you have a tag, NTTA will manually adjust your bill when scans are missed. I occasionally get a ZIP Cash invoice, but it has always been corrected before I called to investigate.

Like I mentioned earlier, they have Model S on the list of problem cars and appear to be prepared to manually update us.

Here you go. She needs a cleaning, but you get the idea. I have a few of these gloss black stickers made up if anyone wants one.
The front works much better than the back because the angle is correct for the transceivers.

Yes, it does get touched by the very tip of the wiper blade, but there are no ill effects to either the blade or the vinyl/tag.

And before people start thinking this could be peeled off by someone, who's going to crawl on top of your car to peel it off?
It's much easier (and more discreet) to steal those black license plate tags. ;)
tolltag front.jpg

For those of you trying this at home, get a small spray bottle and fill it with a drop or two of dish soap (normal Dawn works best) and mix it with water. Spray it on the spot it's being applied to and spray on the sticky part of the vinyl. Put it on, then squeegie out any water and air bubbles. That's why the edges on mine are smooth and flat. The middle has a small bubble due to the chip inside the tag. It's virtually in the same spot where the tag would normally sit and has no issues registering.

Hi Guys

I took delivery of MS few days back and like most of you I have a temporary identification on the rear wind shield which is from California.

Can I drive on the toll? It will save me lot of time driving on the toll road. I don't want NTTA to think that I don't want to pay.

I called NTTA and they told me that the camera most likely won't read the number on windshield.

Should I wait until I get my car registered in the state of Texas?

What should I do?

I appreciate everyone's time

Hi Guys

I took delivery of MS few days back and like most of you I have a temporary identification on the rear wind shield which is from California.

Can I drive on the toll? It will save me lot of time driving on the toll road. I don't want NTTA to think that I don't want to pay.

I called NTTA and they told me that the camera most likely won't read the number on windshield.

Should I wait until I get my car registered in the state of Texas?

What should I do?

I appreciate everyone's time
I would register the CA temp tag with NTTA and update it when you get your TX plate. You've made your best effort to comply.

You could:

1) Avoid the tollway altogether
2) Drive with the temp tag, comfortable that the tollway authority is giving you a free pass for a couple of weeks because you know you're going to pay them approximately $23,345,898.34 during your lifetime
3) Borrow a tag from one of your other vehicles to use in the interim

Personally, I did a mixture of all three for the relatively brief period of time my car was not yet registered.

You could:

1) Avoid the tollway altogether
2) Drive with the temp tag, comfortable that the tollway authority is giving you a free pass for a couple of weeks because you know you're going to pay them approximately $23,345,898.34 during your lifetime
3) Borrow a tag from one of your other vehicles to use in the interim

Personally, I did a mixture of all three for the relatively brief period of time my car was not yet registered.

Hi Rocky

Did you get any mailing letter from NTTA when you used toll roads without the tag?

Wow really $23,345,898 where did that number come from ? :biggrin:

I sold my other vehicle so I have only one Toll Tag on my suv

I received nothing from the NTTA. I presume it's because they couldn't identify the car solely from the small sliver of paper on the back window and there was no other way to identify the Tesla.

I didn't intentionally flaunt the absence of any tolltag. I attempted to grab the tolltag from my other car (the other car had the old, plastic credit card-sized version) and carry it whenever I took the Tesla, but sometimes it just didn't happen. I didn't worry too much if I occasionally forgot and some of the trips on the tollway were free for a couple of weeks since we average about >$160 a month in toll payments.

I called them today and they advised that I seek help from nearby NTTA store.

I put in Toll Tag request on the website and I will use Toll and see what comes up.

I did enter my car info on my acct on NTTA website.

I have done everything from my side.

Mine new Model S with AP 2.0 comes next week and it sounds like the area without metallic film beside the mirror is no longer there. I use the airport a lot so it sounds like the sticker on the outside windshield by the mirror is my best bet. Frustrating that Tesla took away the one spot that toll tags worked!

Mine new Model S with AP 2.0 comes next week and it sounds like the area without metallic film beside the mirror is no longer there. I use the airport a lot so it sounds like the sticker on the outside windshield by the mirror is my best bet. Frustrating that Tesla took away the one spot that toll tags worked!

The best thing to do, to see where that metallic film stops is to get a bright light or the sun, and look at it closely and at an angle. Start looking at the edge of the glass and you'll see a slight pink film inside the glass. You'll be able to spot where the edge of this film is. Then, look up around the right side of the AP cams to see if there's a section that doesn't have this. There might even be a section that's cut out for the AP cams.