Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas Toll Tags

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was trying to figure this out as well when I picked up my Tesla a few weeks back. Just wanted to share my experience.

I read the user manual and interpreted the RF ID transponder note to mean that the transponders should be placed in the area marked blue in the user manual, basically anywhere above the mirror/AP camera. Tried many locations in that area using temporary magic tape mounts and none of them worked consistently. Finally tried about an inch BELOW the mirror/AP camera and it has worked 100% of the time since then. Every transaction appears online within a few minutes. Now mounted the toll tag there permanently. Looks I interpreted the user guide exactly opposite, the tag seems to work everywhere except the blue area!

Not sure if this applies to the MS as well or not, mine is an AP2 MX produced Nov 2016.

That wouldn't work since the whole tag is an antenna. It's to big to jam into that tiny space.

Here's what I've come up with recently and hope to produce quite a few more for other Texas Tesla owners. It works great, even at high speeds :)
Gloss black is easy for those with the pano or black roof as well as white, but the other body color roofs will need some time for me to color match. All you do is apply the thin sticker-type tag in the center of that area on the back of the roof and put this overlay on top. Use a light spray mixture (100:1) of water/dish soap for repositioning and bubble expelling. If anyone wants me to do this at Cars and Coffee, just bring your tolltag and $5 and I'll happily do it.

View attachment 46932View attachment 46933

I’d certainly like to try it. Where can I meet you in Plano. I live in Plano.