Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@CosmosMpower You can go to the local county office to pay taxes and do the registration. You just have to take the documents Tesla sends to you (in 2-3 weeks after the delivery). I went to the Denton county Frisco tax office at FM 423 and Lebanon. Make sure you have all the documents including inspection certificate. Tesla forgot to do the inspection for my car. So I had to go back to the service center to do it.

Interesting, in that case I think you can write in your own trade on the 1030U .

Yes of course, they're not going to give you a (now) $550 item with that and they're not a vendor for it.

Order from Tesla, get them out for a quote to install, have them install same day if you wish. It's a $1200ish job in total with charger.

Sorry let me rephrase. Do I need to buy the official Tesla wall charger or can I just do a basic 240 and use some other kind of adaptor to charge the car?

Sorry let me rephrase. Do I need to buy the official Tesla wall charger or can I just do a basic 240 and use some other kind of adaptor to charge the car?
You can do the wall charger if you want, or you can get a 15-40 outlet installed and use the charger that comes with the car, your choice.

The Tesla branded charger is able to do higher throughput to charge faster and is "smart".

Reactions: CosmosMpower
Who is everyone using to install 240V chargers in their garages in N. TX? I'm in the Frisco area, any idea on cost?

I called ElectricMan because they were listed on the Tesla website. They asked for $99 to come out and take a look and do a Load Calculation, but when they did come out they said they wanted (another) $1800 for the installation

Needless to say I didn't call them back, because that's just a ridiculous amount - plus I didn't like the guy they sent. He didn't inspire confidence

Who is everyone using to install 240V chargers in their garages in N. TX? I'm in the Frisco area, any idea on cost?
Also in Frisco...used a local electrician to install a 240v 14-50 outlet in our garage. Replaced an extra 6-20 outlet not in use in garage. Total cost was @ $260 as there was an existing space in main panel. I plan on using the mobile connector and 14-50 adapter purchased from Tesla with this setup rather than purchasing a wall charger initially. A couple of other Tesla owners I know have done this for single EV charge needs and it is more than adequate for overnight charging to 80-90%. Supposedly around 30 miles or range per hour of charging with this setup, but if it turns out we want to add a Juice box or something similar, we have access to a 14-50 outlet.

Also in Frisco...used a local electrician to install a 240v 14-50 outlet in our garage. Replaced an extra 6-20 outlet not in use in garage. Total cost was @ $260 as there was an existing space in main panel. I plan on using the mobile connector and 14-50 adapter purchased from Tesla with this setup rather than purchasing a wall charger initially. A couple of other Tesla owners I know have done this for single EV charge needs and it is more than adequate for overnight charging to 80-90%. Supposedly around 30 miles or range per hour of charging with this setup, but if it turns out we want to add a Juice box or something similar, we have access to a 14-50 outlet.
I sure hope the wiring was upgraded for the 14-50 if you swapped out an existing 6-20, if not you are just waiting for a fire to happen.

Tips for Nema 14-50 install. Less than 20’ run should not be more than $550 and that includes Frisco permit fee.
1. Use a licensed electrician.
2. Insist city permit process is followed. A fire stemming from an EV charger is not something to be taken lightly and you do not want the liability on yourself. Home insurance can’t push back on any claims if a licensed electrician was used and city passed the install.
3. Use #4 or #6 wiring. If you plan on upgrading to the TWC later then #4 is needed.
4. Use an industrial grade Nema 14-50R like Hubbell. Don’t use the $10 cheap leviton or cooking range/dryer residential receptacles, they are not designed for high power draw over long periods and can’t handle too many connect/disconnect cycles.

I’ve been perfectly happy using the Mobile Connector that came with the car, ordered the Nema 14-50 adapter from Tesla couple of weeks before delivery.

Reactions: Benng
Just got this reply from an email I sent to my SA - seems like they’re trying to help with all the questions about orders. We’ll see how long it takes for them to respond though.. could just be another endless hole of no information although I did find this response encouraging.
A28B4CDA-DEDA-4DA3-BEC0-153BA3728282.jpeg
A28B4CDA-DEDA-4DA3-BEC0-153BA3728282.jpeg

I sure hope the wiring was upgraded for the 14-50 if you swapped out an existing 6-20, if not you are just waiting for a fire to happen.

Tips for Nema 14-50 install. Less than 20’ run should not be more than $550 and that includes Frisco permit fee.
1. Use a licensed electrician.
2. Insist city permit process is followed. A fire stemming from an EV charger is not something to be taken lightly and you do not want the liability on yourself. Home insurance can’t push back on any claims if a licensed electrician was used and city passed the install.
3. Use #4 or #6 wiring. If you plan on upgrading to the TWC later then #4 is needed.
4. Use an industrial grade Nema 14-50R like Hubbell. Don’t use the $10 cheap leviton or cooking range/dryer residential receptacles, they are not designed for high power draw over long periods and can’t handle too many connect/disconnect cycles.

I’ve been perfectly happy using the Mobile Connector that came with the car, ordered the Nema 14-50 adapter from Tesla couple of weeks before delivery.
Total newb to TMC. Can’t seem to find the link to PM instead of Reply. Hoping you could share your licensed electrician’s contact info. Thank you in advance!

Total newb to TMC. Can’t seem to find the link to PM instead of Reply. Hoping you could share your licensed electrician’s contact info. Thank you in advance!
Welcome! Sent you a message with contact details, you don’t have to use them, this is a simple job that any electrician can do. Just don’t let them fool you into using cheap materials at a premium price coz it’s for a “Tesla”..