Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm probably waiting for a Dallas build one now

What's that you say? Dallas? Don't you mean Austin?

No. At this rate, they'll have time to negotiate the land purchase, build a new DFW area factory and start producing them here. They'll probably also have developed the UltimaCast machine that just makes the car in one single piece by then

Frustrated? Me?

The MYP that we are taking delivery on Sep 7 will be our first car purchase in Texas. The Tesla order agreement is vague about taxes and government fees. It is clear that sales tax is not included. Since I placed the order on July 4 the site has just simply indicated that these "taxes and governmental fees will be calculated as your delivery date nears." My delivery date is pretty near, but I still have no info.

I know sales tax on a vehicle in Texas is 6.25%. Does Tesla collect that or do I somehow pay it directly?

I am, of course, not willing to do the open ended ACH enablement that Tesla defaults to, but I also can't get any clarification from Tesla about what amount beyond the listed value in the agreement they need on delivery. If Tesla wants a certified check or wire transfer to cover sales tax and other governmental fees ... well ... I kind of need to know! ;)

The MYP that we are taking delivery on Sep 7 will be our first car purchase in Texas. The Tesla order agreement is vague about taxes and government fees. It is clear that sales tax is not included. Since I placed the order on July 4 the site has just simply indicated that these "taxes and governmental fees will be calculated as your delivery date nears." My delivery date is pretty near, but I still have no info.

I know sales tax on a vehicle in Texas is 6.25%. Does Tesla collect that or do I somehow pay it directly?

I am, of course, not willing to do the open ended ACH enablement that Tesla defaults to, but I also can't get any clarification from Tesla about what amount beyond the listed value in the agreement they need on delivery. If Tesla wants a certified check or wire transfer to cover sales tax and other governmental fees ... well ... I kind of need to know! ;)
You'll pay taxes when you go to register the vehicle at the county office (usually a month or so after delivery is when you receive paperwork/title from Tesla).

Reactions: M-S-M
You'll pay taxes when you go to register the vehicle at the county office (usually a month or so after delivery is when you receive paperwork/title from Tesla).
Thank you Ziggityzen. So can this be done online, or do you have to go to the county office for Texas vehicles?

I experienced Texas DMV for the first time in Feb 2020 and it was OMG the worst of any state ever. I've done driver's license in NY, NJ, CA and UT and never experienced anything like the mess, delay and bureaucracy of Texas. And while I'm bitching, why can't I buy whiskey in Texas on a Sunday? :confused:😣😂

I was told that the taxes you pay is based off the finance portion minus your down payment. So lets say your total car purchase is $60k but you put $10k down, your Texas taxes will be 6.25% of the $50k owed on the car.