Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My neighbor got her MY and only paid taxes on the amount owed on the car minus her down payment

I'm afraid she's mistaken or perhaps confused

Like people have said here: I'm paying cash for mine, so that would mean there would be no taxes for me to pay. Doesn't make sense.

here's what the Texas Comptroller webpage says about it (my highlighting):

Who is responsible for this tax?​

A person who purchases a motor vehicle in Texas owes motor vehicle sales tax.

A Texas resident, a person domiciled or doing business in Texas, or a new Texas resident who brings into Texas a motor vehicle that was purchased or leased out of state owes motor vehicle use tax, the new resident tax or the gift tax, as applicable.

Private-Party Purchases and Standard Presumptive Values​

Standard presumptive value (SPV) is used to calculate sales tax on private-party sales of all types of used motor vehicles purchased in Texas. It is also used to calculate use tax on motor vehicles brought into Texas that were purchased from a private-party out of state. For more information, please see Private-Party Purchases and Standard Presumptive Values.

Rates​

• Sales: 6.25 percent of sales price, minus any trade-in allowance. The taxable value of private-party purchases of used motor vehicles may be based on the standard presumptive valueExternal Link.
  • Use:
    • Texas residents – 6.25 percent of sales price, less credit for sales or use taxes paid to other states, when bringing a motor vehicle into Texas that was purchased in another state.
    • New residents – $90 new resident tax due in lieu of use tax on a vehicle brought into Texas by a new resident, if the vehicle was previously registered in the new resident's name in another state or foreign country.
  • Even exchange: $5
  • Gift: $10

Last edited:
Maybe they are going to load all of them on a single September train.
I hope they do it soon. I know I've mentioned before, but we are starting our vacation on 9/20, which is a road-trip planned around charging stops. It sure would be nice if I had at least one weekend prior to that to do a shake-down cruise just to get comfortable with everything and make sure there are no bugs.

Reactions: chand
Hopefully you got a backup plan
Yeah, backup plan is to take our CRV and burn gas. :) The road trip is going to be an adventure, following the Natchez Trace Parkway from Natchez MS to Nashville, TN, stopping in Tupelo MS to see the sites. Then end up in Greenville SC and take an 8 mile hike to a waterfall, just because before heading back home down I20. Was really looking forward to auto-pilot and TACC for this drive.

Reactions: LoneStarEve
I hope they do it soon. I know I've mentioned before, but we are starting our vacation on 9/20,

Me too. I'll be on vacation for most of the current (alleged) EDD window

My SA Guy said they could drop it off here and have the wife sign for it, but that's not what the website says. I need to follow up with him. She's not exactly happy at the prospect ... and she hasn't even read any of the horror stories on here!

I think if I can't accept, then I go the the back of the queue and will be looking at a Jan or Feb delivery :mad:

Reactions: MSHampton
Me too. I'll be on vacation for most of the current (alleged) EDD window

My SA Guy said they could drop it off here and have the wife sign for it, but that's not what the website says. I need to follow up with him. She's not exactly happy at the prospect ... and she hasn't even read any of the horror stories on here!

I think if I can't accept, then I go the the back of the queue and will be looking at a Jan or Feb delivery :mad:
It's pretty bogus that we can wait months and they can't wait a week or so if we are unavailable when they finally get ready.

It's pretty bogus that we can wait months and they can't wait a week or so if we are unavailable when they finally get ready.
Yes, I agree. I’d also add that not only do buyers wait for a long time, but Tesla cannot (or at least does not) provide reasonably accurate EDDs.

In our case, we’re taking delivery in a city (Austin) where we don’t spend time in the heat of the summer or even the fall. Since July 4 when we placed the order we’ve had EDDs that ranged from July to Nov. 😳 The Tesla SA and delivery people I spoke with told me that delivery pickup flexibility is only 3 to 4 days. For us this meant I had less than a week’s notice for booking flights. I think at least a week of flexibility on Tesla’s part — if not two — is warranted. It‘s not exactly a buyer‘s market for Teslas … so I happily booked fairly last minute to pick it up per their terms! 🤣🥳

Yes, I agree. I’d also add that not only do buyers wait for a long time, but Tesla cannot (or at least does not) provide reasonably accurate EDDs.

In our case, we’re taking delivery in a city (Austin) where we don’t spend time in the heat of the summer or even the fall. Since July 4 when we placed the order we’ve had EDDs that ranged from July to Nov. 😳 The Tesla SA and delivery people I spoke with told me that delivery pickup flexibility is only 3 to 4 days. For us this meant I had less than a week’s notice for booking flights. I think at least a week of flexibility on Tesla’s part — if not two — is warranted. It‘s not exactly a buyer‘s market for Teslas … so I happily booked fairly last minute to pick it up per their terms! 🤣🥳
Did you call and see where the car is? I contacted my SA and they said car is set to to dallas late 09/03 and with labor day they may need to have the car till 9/7 before i can pick mine up. Is yours already on site?

Any recommendation for PPF/Ceramic coating around DFW?

I'm not recommending anyone as I have no experience, but I intend to go to Clear Bra North Dallas, based on their videos and while I have not had an estimate, as I understand it, the pricing is competitive for the work quality.

But if you find an alternative or don't like them for any reason please let me know.

Reactions: howlooooong
I'm not recommending anyone as I have no experience, but I intend to go to Clear Bra North Dallas, based on their videos and while I have not had an estimate, as I understand it, the pricing is competitive for the work quality.

But if you find an alternative or don't like them for any reason please let me know.
9/9-9/23 still. So close yet so far. For ppf, was planning to do the front myself. Can’t see spending 1000+ for paint protection 🤔