Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It must be the color. @whitehartdave if there has to be something else then it must be the wheels, your build has induction wheels @MSHampton's build has tow, my build is same as @MSHampton but my order is 10 days far, while your order date is very close, just 1 day difference. I am very +ve you will get your VIN today or tomorrow.

This is wild theory, if everything matches including the location, Tesla algorithm may priorities orders that can yield them 3rd party commission through their own finance or trade-in deals compared to cash or customer preferred finance. Well, this commission must be very negligible amount, I don't like this theory, highly unlikely. Let's go with 'maybe the induction wheels are in short supply', that is more satisfying.

Reactions: whitehartdave
Frisco is still enforcing 2017 NEC, they are yet to adopt 2019. I just had Nema 14-50 installed without gfci and it passed city inspection. I had spoken with the chief electrical inspector prior to making my decision.
Fort worth has adopted 2020 NEC. Does it mean that I’ll need to double check with my electrician if he’s using GFCI breaker? If he says yes, are there any problems getting nema 14-50 to installed this way? I was about to finalize on Good Faith energy company but then read this…

From what I have read some people have found issues with the GFCI breaker in the panel flipping off due to the GFCI test protection performed by the EVSE (charger). But not everyone. It was more common with the v1 Tesla mobile connector EVSE. Many people report no problems at all.
For those who do report problems it can occur when the car tries to start charging or randomly in the middle of the night/charge.
It also seems to vary depending which “charger” or rather EVSE you are using.

Hard wired EVSE’s like the Tesla Wall Connnector are not required to have a GFCI breaker by NEC2020 code so if you’re concerned you could go down that route.

Personally, I would get the socket installed and try it with the mobile connector that comes with the car (even with a GFCI breaker) and if you have problems then you can’t use the Tesla mobile connector that comes with the car and will need to buy either the Tesla Wall Connector or some other hard wired EVSE. Your electrician can then take the NEMA 14-50 socket off the wall and use the same cable he already ran to wire directly into whichever EVSE you bought. So labor wise it shouldn’t be much of a hit as the cable and breaker remain the same. And then you still have the mobile connector EVEE that came with the car which you can leave in the trunk for charging away from home.

For those in Fort Worth, GFCI breaker is a must to clear city inspection for 14-50 install. I decided to not skip on inspection and do it the right way from a trusted company. Good Faith energy quoted

$1,346 for Wall Charger - everything included
$896 for 14-50 install- Plug and GFCI breaker included

I’m leaning towards former option but read somewhere it is a hard install so if I move from this house, it may be an issue. What would you all have done?

We are looking to move in about 2 years that’s why we went for the 14-50. This is a rented house so I don’t need to worry about anything come sale time as I’ll be long gone and it was done using my landlords favored electrician (who rewired the entire house before we moved in) to how he saw fit.
When we move to our (likely) forever house I’ll do a hard install.
That said when you leave you could just turn the breaker off, disconnect a hard wired EVSE and attach a 14-50 socket in its place. It’s not difficult if you know how to use a screwdriver and attach like 3 wires.

I decided to plug in my new EVSE and have it run its self tests to see if it trips the breaker or whatever. I need to reset it to 40A using the web interface, it’ll go up to 48A max but as I have a 50A breaker and it’s plugged into a NEMA 14-50 80% of that is the max so 40A. Obviously I don’t have the car yet to check it running under load. I’m also wondering what effect the 35degC garage temps will have in charging…
When my wife’s Mini arrives I’ll get a second one so maybe I’ll tone them both down to 32A anyway as even that can completely charge the Y on our free 8pm to 5am electricity tariff…

Just 4 screws, plug it in and then join its Wifi with my phone to then set it to join the house wifi. No internet connection needed, or any cloud service:

7D08C883-C837-4CD2-8B9B-A6D82FA34D42.jpeg

The transparent case gives a cool glow in the dark and the color has meaning:

5CD65165-E544-4FE3-89A9-FCFEC28666F1.jpeg

I need to practice coiling the cable a little neater

52BCC9F8-C046-4822-B9FA-9C3F6F31E21F.jpeg

For those in Fort Worth, GFCI breaker is a must to clear city inspection for 14-50 install. I decided to not skip on inspection and do it the right way from a trusted company. Good Faith energy quoted

$1,346 for Wall Charger - everything included
$896 for 14-50 install- Plug and GFCI breaker included

I’m leaning towards former option but read somewhere it is a hard install so if I move from this house, it may be an issue. What would you all have done?
I paid $550 in Frisco for nema 14-50 with city permit included. Used Hubbell commercial grade outlet, and #6 wire incase I ever want to upgrade the nema to the Tesla Wall Connector. Just install a gfci breaker for city inspection and then swap it to a normal breaker yourself or tell the electrician to do it after city inspector leaves. My outlet was within 2 feet of breaker box so that helped keep costs down. For my daily commute of less than 100 miles the nema charging is more than adequate at 8kwh. If you do install a TWC and decide to sell your house, in Texas just like anything else permanently wall mounted, it will be included in your home sale unless you explicitly ask your broker to exclude it on the listing. Unless you are driving more than 150miles a day the extra cost of TWC is not worth it.

Reactions: Maliks
We are looking to move in about 2 years that’s why we went for the 14-50. This is a rented house so I don’t need to worry about anything come sale time as I’ll be long gone and it was done using my landlords favored electrician (who rewired the entire house before we moved in) to how he saw fit.
When we move to our (likely) forever house I’ll do a hard install.
That said when you leave you could just turn the breaker off, disconnect a hard wired EVSE and attach a 14-50 socket in its place. It’s not difficult if you know how to use a screwdriver and attach like 3 wires.
Not difficult, agreed. Illegal in Texas, yes. Unless explicitly mentioned on the home sale listing that the hardwired TWC or EVSE is excluded. For same reason sellers get surprised when their agent tells them they can’t take down their curtains or smart thermostats after the house has already been shown to buyers. People learn the hard way that in Texas permanently wall mounted accessories are included in home sales.

Not difficult, agreed. Illegal in Texas, yes. Unless explicitly mentioned on the home sale listing that the hardwired TWC or EVSE is excluded. For same reason sellers get surprised when their agent tells them they can’t take down their curtains or smart thermostats after the house has already been shown to buyers. People learn the hard way that in Texas permanently wall mounted accessories are included in home sales.
I would assume the person would swap the hard wired for a NEMA socket before listing the house, but a good heads up in case someone doesn’t as yes, that means the wall connector/EVSE must be left with the house.

I paid $550 in Frisco for nema 14-50 with city permit included. Used Hubbell commercial grade outlet, and #6 wire incase I ever want to upgrade the nema to the Tesla Wall Connector. Just install a gfci breaker for city inspection and then swap it to a normal breaker yourself or tell the electrician to do it after city inspector leaves. My outlet was within 2 feet of breaker box so that helped keep costs down. For my daily commute of less than 100 miles the nema charging is more than adequate at 8kwh. If you do install a TWC and decide to sell your house, in Texas just like anything else permanently wall mounted, it will be included in your home sale unless you explicitly ask your broker to exclude it on the listing. Unless you are driving more than 150miles a day the extra cost of TWC is not worth it.
Can you share the contact of the electrician you used? Also, why would you remove the GFCI breaker after inspection - the whole idea is to stay in the clear, should you have to file for a claim.

Can you share the contact of the electrician you used? Also, why would you remove the GFCI breaker after inspection - the whole idea is to stay in the clear, should you have to file for a claim.
Any electrical engineer will tell you two gfci in series is not a good idea. The Tesla charger onboard the car has an inbuilt gfci. Your electrician will tell you that too. NEC 2020 is about to cause issues for EVs and AC units, electricians and city inspectors are dreading it. I’m glad that Frisco understands this issue and hence is yet to adopt NEC 2020. Do what you feel comfortable with. Sometimes NEC and city inspectors don’t take into account everything, the rules were written to protect consumers that were installing nema outlets in garages for use with welding machines etc. they weren’t necessarily written with EVs in mind. I asked my electrician and he said he won’t venture out to Fort Worth for a small job like this.

Any electrical engineer will tell you two gfci in series is not a good idea. The Tesla charger onboard the car has an inbuilt gfci. Your electrician will tell you that too. NEC 2020 is about to cause issues for EVs and AC units, electricians and city inspectors are dreading it. I’m glad that Frisco understands this issue and hence is yet to adopt NEC 2020. Do what you feel comfortable with. Sometimes NEC and city inspectors don’t take into account everything, the rules were written to protect consumers that were installing nema outlets in garages for use with welding machines etc. they weren’t necessarily written with EVs in mind. I asked my electrician and he said he won’t venture out to Fort Worth for a small job like this.
Thanks for checking 👍. This GFCI thing is throwing a wrinkle in a decision I had pretty much settled on. I’m just going to search for a reasonable option for Tesla wall charger installation and be done with it. $1,350 seems a lot, though it saves me the trouble of buying charger, materials and worrying about permit