Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Wales charging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a ride out in the rain this morning to see the progress of the Rhug fast chargers. They look ready to go. Staff at the cafe didn’t know an exact date but suggested next month. Might be worth an email to Instavolt to ask?
8F5953F8-0765-4F97-9C7E-3E4CF172C51D.jpeg

83A824D0-B321-4787-8C9B-4B8F17DDDF0B.jpeg

Last edited:
Took a ride out in the rain this morning to see the progress of the Rhug fast chargers. They look ready to go. Staff at the cafe didn’t know an exact date but suggested next month. Might be worth an email to Instavolt to ask?
View attachment 802884
I think it might be a legal issue. I heard they were being prosecuted for witchcraft

It was reported somewhere that there is there is lack of grid infrastructure in parts of Mid and North Wales to support many rapid chargers. In which case Govt investment will be required. with the switch to EV's well under way its going to start to have a noticeable impact on their tourist industry soon.
I find this a bit suspect, given that there is a massive hydroelectric pumped storage power station pretty much across the road from the visitors car park for the main route up Snowdon. It really should be solvable.

No, I live 179 miles from work so used to 3 pin plug charge during the week to get me home at the end of the week. That’s now banned so going to have to drive 30 mins to the nearest charger and wait for however long it takes for a 3rd party 50kw charger to do its business so I can make it to sarn park SC.
Get rid of the EV. Get a diesel!

I find this a bit suspect, given that there is a massive hydroelectric pumped storage power station pretty much across the road from the visitors car park for the main route up Snowdon. It really should be solvable.
Everything is solvable if the will and money is there
but isn't that a bit like parking next to an oil well and saying you should be able to buy petrol?
It probably has one output at 50,000 volts straight to a grid connection in England.

They are looking at getting proper car charging points so until then it’s banned. I think it’s more due to them paying than anything else as there are only 2 us us with all electric cars at the moment.

I've consulted at places (ie, not been a full-time employee) where after installing EV chargers there was a revolt from ICE drivers complaining that the EV drivers were getting a perk that the ICE drivers weren't, and how it was unfair, and how they'd get HR on the case. In the end they made people pay to charge there.

Everything is solvable if the will and money is there
but isn't that a bit like parking next to an oil well and saying you should be able to buy petrol?
It probably has one output at 50,000 volts straight to a grid connection in England.
Not really, its a major industrial site which has lots of power, at lots of different voltages to power all sorts of industrial applications. I think it had an electric bus back when it did tours.

I've consulted at places (ie, not been a full-time employee) where after installing EV chargers there was a revolt from ICE drivers complaining that the EV drivers were getting a perk that the ICE drivers weren't, and how it was unfair, and how they'd get HR on the case. In the end they made people pay to charge there.
I think the banning is a reaction to me getting “free fuel” while some aren’t. The charging stations they are looking at will be ones we have to pay for. It was good while it lasted but all good things come to an end unfortunately

As a regular visitor to Abersoch (a 207 mile journey for me), depending on where your coming from Flint or Telford services are the only rapid chargers.

Some national trust car parks now have 3kw charge points and I generally charge at these as and when required.

I'm pretty sure that Lidl at Porthmadog doesn't have any charging points but the Tesco does.

Take your granny charger and extension cable just in case, but hopefully you wont need them.

I think the banning is a reaction to me getting “free fuel” while some aren’t. The charging stations they are looking at will be ones we have to pay for. It was good while it lasted but all good things come to an end unfortunately
i feel your pain with charge at work. my office is ~160 miles away and I arrive there with ~50% of battery. we have "free" communal "chargers" which... 1 out of 4 actually works (bloody RolecEV and their unreliable shite) and we got at least 4 EVs in the area which use that one single socket... anyway, my employer is now exploring options for EV chargers to be installed for our own use.. which I suspect, might take a year or so. and I would not be surprised if I have to pay for the charging in the end of the day.
still, it's under £ 5 to get to office and if I have to use some instavolt or similar to top up 10-20% during my visit (these are about 1 mile away from the office) - it's bearable, even to pay 10 gbp for that... :D

View attachment 802884
View attachment 802888

That‘s actually quite a good place for fast chargers (and lunch!) as it covers the Southern Snowdonia area for those heading to/from NW England. Just really need something in the Llanberis area for those spending time in Northern Snowdonia. (At a push, the outskirts of Bangor would work).

That‘s actually quite a good place for fast chargers (and lunch!) as it covers the Southern Snowdonia area for those heading to/from NW England. Just really need something in the Llanberis area for those spending time in Northern Snowdonia. (At a push, the outskirts of Bangor would work).
Great place for a stop for food and always call in on my way up north. Getting the Tesla out of Wales from far SW Wales is never an issue but at least I have this new stop in mind as the wife’s MG ZS EV is struggling by that point to get much further! For those heading from the north to Ceredigion and.Pembrokeshire the Aberystwyth SUC is excellent at 250kw 👍

Went to Porthmadog Easter weekend and was stopping within walking distance of Tesco so would pop there early morning and late evening and get 2x2 hours worth. The car park has ANPR so adhered to that.

Otherwise it would’ve been a bit of a struggle although the Zap Map reviews of the 22kw at Y Gareg were encouraging.