Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northern California PW installs BUMPED to 2020!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, I did have a series of installation issues and mishaps: mismatch of plans vs my wishes, my water pressure pump being not supported, forgotten heat pump soft start installation and then mis-wired installation, trouble with moving my existing energy usage monitoring CT's, etc.
FWIW: I gave them specs on my 1 hp water pressure pump and they were satisfied so it was backed up with no soft start. It actually would have been about impossible not to. Same with my well pump.

My heat pumps would crater my PWs so they just told me to turn them off it I was going to be on battery. If I failed to do this the PWs would trip and wait for a few minutes, rinse and repeat. So it's all on me. There is just no way they were going to be isolated and I am still pursuing some automated means of isolating them if it occurs when I am asleep or not home.

I pulled my existing CT's since I was really only worried about the overall consumption and got a better view with the 4 domain (utility, home, solar and PW) than I got before. If you had a particular device you were looking to monitor then I could see retaining them in that configuration.

I did have one wiring issue wrt setting up for a possible 3rd PW but that failed to happen. In discussions near the end it appears it will either be NBD or a major change depending on how system is designed and the county feels at the end of the day. A neighbor put in three a few months after mine and had some major changes from my system and I have not gotten to the bottom of why yet, so it may have been a blessing I stopped at two and did not have some extra wires and conduit for the building inspector to ask about.

I ended up getting an opportunity for an earlier installation date in mid-February rather than April (started the process in late September) and I'm now enjoying time-shifting my excess solar production.

However, I did have a series of installation issues and mishaps: mismatch of plans vs my wishes, my water pressure pump being not supported, forgotten heat pump soft start installation and then mis-wired installation, trouble with moving my existing energy usage monitoring CT's, etc.

I wrote up the details here, if you're interested: Tesla Powerwalls Installed

Jealous! My city shut down the city inspectors from reviewing work the day an electrican was coming out to upgrade our main panel to start things, Tesla solar was to be right behind him when completed. So now our project is at a standstill. Looks nice and clean btw.

I thought that has to be raised off the floor?

Powerwalls come with feet on the bottom to keep the box from touching when floor mounted. They are held in with a couple of Torx screws you can remove when wall mounted.

However they need to be attached to the wall even if there are sitting on the floor. So if you have curb that pushes them away from the wall, they need have a platform to raise them up and get them closer to the wall.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Powerwalls come with feet on the bottom to keep the box from touching when floor mounted. They are held in with a couple of Torx screws you can remove when wall mounted.

I didnt know there were just torx screws on the feet. Mine are still on the wall mounted powerwalls... the installers didnt take them off and I thought they were permanently on there (I didnt look, though). Maybe I will take them off for a cleaner look...

I didnt know there were just torx screws on the feet. Mine are still on the wall mounted powerwalls... the installers didnt take them off and I thought they were permanently on there (I didnt look, though). Maybe I will take them off for a cleaner look...

My installer pointed out that the feet where showing after he wall mounted mine and I might want to take off the feet. Only took a couple of minutes and they look better with the feet off.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Tesla removed my feet from my wall mounted units but did leave on the protective plastic. After a few days I removed that too as it started to bubble in places plus the logo was kind of grayed out.

that's a good idea - i left the protective plastic on the LCD screen of my SMA inverter and by the time i thought to remove it, it was fused to the glass/plastic. probably didn't help that the inverter sees sunlight every morning.