Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northern California PW installs BUMPED to 2020!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not how the 120% rule works, the size of the loads don't matter. What matters is the size of the sources of power feeding the bus in the panel. For the utility, the size is the rating of the breaker. For inverters (like solar and battery), the size is typically also the rating of the breaker but may be a little less (details omitted).

So if you have a 200A bus with a 200A main breaker, you can back feed up to 40A of breakers of solar/battery. With a 225A bus with a 200A main breaker, you are up to 70A of allowable back feed. Or with a 200A bus and a 175A main breaker, you are at 65A.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks. Interesting. What I have not, before the installation are two 100A breakers in the main panel feeding two subpanels in the house, main floor and 2nd story. Solar 20A breaker is tied into the 2nd story subpanel. That solar power finds its way to the main floor at the main panel.
Now with the 2 PW, another panel will be installed after the Gateway with two 100A for the two subpanels and the 2 30A for battery.
My quandary is the downsizing of original 2-100A in the main panel not to a single 200A but to a 150A after pressure on the designer as he wanted only a 100A as the breaker
The main breaker will see the same original 2-100A loadwise. Same ampacity as before.

Last edited:
Thanks. Interesting. What I have not, before the installation are two 100A breakers in the main panel feeding two subpanels in the house, main floor and 2nd story. Solar 20A breaker is tied into the 2nd story subpanel. That solar power finds its way to the main floor at the main panel.
Now with the 2 PW, another panel will be installed after the Gateway with two 100A for the two subpanels and the 2 30A for battery.
My quandary is the downsizing of original 2-100A in the main panel not to a single 200A but to a 150A after pressure on the designer as he wanted only a 100A as the breaker
The main breaker will see the same original 2-100A loadwise. Same ampacity as before.
I don't see the problem. Imagine your worst case of turning on every conceivable coincident load. How many amps is that? I doubt you can come up with more than 150A of coincident loads.

IMG-20200224-WA0000.jpeg

Making progress. There are apparently 6 crews for the bay area

I’m having Powerwalls added to an existing, non-Tesla/Solarcity solar panel installation and I do see my April 20th installation date on my account page...

I ended up getting an opportunity for an earlier installation date in mid-February rather than April (started the process in late September) and I'm now enjoying time-shifting my excess solar production.

However, I did have a series of installation issues and mishaps: mismatch of plans vs my wishes, my water pressure pump being not supported, forgotten heat pump soft start installation and then mis-wired installation, trouble with moving my existing energy usage monitoring CT's, etc.

I wrote up the details here, if you're interested: Tesla Powerwalls Installed

Reactions: charlesj