Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northern California PW installs BUMPED to 2020!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
August 27th Solar and 4 powerwall order, permits in file as of dec 7th, now scheduled for jan 9th installation. will miss tax credit by 9 days (barring inspection delay). Really upset as the 4% tax credit difference in my project is worth over $3,500. Who should I escalate this to? I too, diligently signed e ery form they asked on time, only to be delayed at the last minute. I'm thinking it wouldnt he a bad idea to cancel entirely amd revisit in june/july 2020, who knows, maybe the system will cost less upfront by then and the tax credit will be the same 26% anyway.
I signed off on my order in for 3 Powerwalls on 11/4, permit issued 12/3. I just got off the phone with Tesla, they said they will lower the price to make up for the reduced tax credit for my order and others placed before 11/30. I have no install date yet, but hopefully soon.

Santa Cruz County, California here with an existing solar installation. I started a Powerwall order process in September 2019 with my local solar installer (who did my solar installation in 2011) and then switched to a Powerwall order with Tesla directly in October after discovering the huge difference in cost. Signed off on order for two Powerwall's on November 1st, 2019.

Well, based on a comment in this thread, I decided to check to see if my permit had been issued yet and indeed it had, on December 2nd, but I had yet to hear anything back from Tesla. So then based on another comment in this thread, I just looked at my Tesla account now and found that I too had a "call to schedule" notice and phone number attached to my 2x Powerwall order now. Called them and lo and behold, they were ready to schedule me. Earliest date they could give me was... April 20th, 2020. D'oh! They did say that an earlier date may open up and they would let me know. (Yeah, sure, like they let me know that they were ready to schedule me?) Oh well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Amit519
I signed off on my order in for 3 Powerwalls on 11/4, permit issued 12/3. I just got off the phone with Tesla, they said they will lower the price to make up for the reduced tax credit for my order and others placed before 11/30. I have no install date yet, but hopefully soon.
Which office at Tesla told you this price drop? How official is this? Does it apply to a whole system with panels or PW is enough?
My purchase order was dated 28 Oct. It is at least good news on the $$ side.

Santa Cruz County, California here with an existing solar installation. I started a Powerwall order process in September 2019 with my local solar installer (who did my solar installation in 2011) and then switched to a Powerwall order with Tesla directly in October after discovering the huge difference in cost. Signed off on order for two Powerwall's on November 1st, 2019.

Well, based on a comment in this thread, I decided to check to see if my permit had been issued yet and indeed it had, on December 2nd, but I had yet to hear anything back from Tesla. So then based on another comment in this thread, I just looked at my Tesla account now and found that I too had a "call to schedule" notice and phone number attached to my 2x Powerwall order now. Called them and lo and behold, they were ready to schedule me. Earliest date they could give me was... April 20th, 2020. D'oh! They did say that an earlier date may open up and they would let me know. (Yeah, sure, like they let me know that they were ready to schedule me?) Oh well.
Are you dealing with the Las Vegas office? My phase 2 person lost her own email she sent me that she is doing phase 2. Not much confidence there. Just called my building office, no permit pulled yet.

Are you dealing with the Las Vegas office? My phase 2 person lost her own email she sent me that she is doing phase 2. Not much confidence there. Just called my building office, no permit pulled yet.
I don’t know where this scheduling person was based. I just called the 866 number that was displayed as part of the message on my Tesla account page for my Powerwall order. When I mentioned that I was never notified that they were ready for me to schedule, he apologized and mentioned that they’re making an end-of-year push for solar and solar+powerwall installs over just powerwall installs.

Wow, I read your post and checked my account -- same thing. I called and got my install scheduled for April 27th, 2020! I should have checked earlier!

I guess i was fortunate or maybe because i ordered solar along with it, it takes a different process.

I reached out and ordered my solar on 10/15/2019 and asked that they package my founder series powerwalls with the order and my install was completed last week. it was 7 weeks from start to permit approval and install was scheduled 4 days after that.

My installers were out of the San Diego area.

• Helpful
Reactions: Amit519
I'll be giving them a call tomorrow for sure and seeing if they can help decrease the total out of pocket expense. $3,500 is a lot of money, atleast to me.
(23kW PV system + 3PW + 1 Referral PW)
Thanks for this info.

Last edited:

I hope you are correct in this. I asked for the same thing, as I signed off on October 9th, and the permits were delayed due to tesla taking a month to even apply for them. I sent them an email requesting a price reduction due to tax credit for my 2 pw install but have not heard back yet (just sent request on 12/13 and my advisor is off on sunday / monday). Going to give it a few more days and see.

It was the Las Vegas office. No idea if that is official. I already have solar so my order is just for adding 3 Powerwalls with whole house backup.
I am also dealing with Las Vegas on 2 PW. So, it seems it will be next year.
Doesn't seem like they are well organized. Returning calls must be difficult, or not in the price schedule;)

Phase 1 person was pretty good but phase 2, low confidence.

My 2 PW's were supposed to be installed on Monday. Two days ago Tesla called and said they were having "staffing" issues and could not do the install. I had checked before and the permit was pulled so it was all on Tesla at this point. My new appointment is in Jan and of course I miss the tax credit and potentially make it impossible to install on my garage wall if this new code is what is rumored.

The Tesla agent says they are trying to resolve the staffing issue but I doubt they can if it is real. On the tax front they have no solutions. They offered me nothing but condolences. They are investigating the code issue but feel it may be location dependant even though its supposed to be a California code so they are checking with my local building department.

I asked if I could pre pay (prior to 12/31) to ensure I get the tax credit and they are welcome to deliver the PW to my home and store them here to prove I did indeed take possession. Not sure if that totally satisfies the tax rule or not. They were checking on that.

Form 5695 instructions:
Costs. For purposes of the credit, costs are treated as being paid when the original installation of the item is completed, or, in the case of costs connected with the reconstruction of your home, when your original use of the reconstructed home begins.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Form 5695 instructions:
Costs. For purposes of the credit, costs are treated as being paid when the original installation of the item is completed, or, in the case of costs connected with the reconstruction of your home, when your original use of the reconstructed home begins.
Thanks for the tax tip. I was afraid of that.

In talking with Tesla they are aware of me missing my install date this year and are in discussions up the food chain on a possible reduction in the contract price to make up the difference. Nothing confirmed yet.

They also truly believe that the permit pulled last month will be honored for the 20 kWh wall mount restrictions too.

If those two things are true my only issue is the timing and not getting the tax benefit for over a year but this is a paltry 1st world problem.

Thanks for the tax tip. I was afraid of that.

In talking with Tesla they are aware of me missing my install date this year and are in discussions up the food chain on a possible reduction in the contract price to make up the difference. Nothing confirmed yet.
There was another post here or on the other forum indicating that Tesla will give us that tax credit difference if application was before Nov 30.
But, have not seen this in writing.

But, have not seen this in writing.

Just got a reply from my Tesla energy contact and it's music to my ears.
So, here it is, in writing:

"Since we are not able to install you in 2019, what we can do is issue you the 4% difference in the federal tax credit as a rebate check sent to you via postal mail after your system is activated."

I'd like to quote someone famous who recently said "My faith in humanity is restored".
Tesla truly is a customer satisfaction oriented company.
Screenshot_20191218-172354_Gmail.jpg

Reactions: EinSV and charlesj
I guess i was fortunate or maybe because i ordered solar along with it, it takes a different process.

I reached out and ordered my solar on 10/15/2019 and asked that they package my founder series powerwalls with the order and my install was completed last week. it was 7 weeks from start to permit approval and install was scheduled 4 days after that.

My installers were out of the San Diego area.
Is that the only way to redeem the founders series powerwalls? ;)