Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northern Colorado Locations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beryl

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2015
South of Houston
Nary a SC from Denver to Cheyenne -- only CHAdeMO. Any information (rumors are fine too) on plans to fix this?

Loveland off I-25 would be ideal for customers and businesses in the area. It would also serve those traveling to Fort Collins and Greeley.

I put in a suggestion to the supercharger team a couple of years ago to indicate the same. The specific problem is in winter coming from Cheyenne south on 25 then up 70 into the mountains will really eat through the miles due to winds, cold, and elevation change. The cross country trip that the Tesla team made in the opposite direction last year had the advantage of going downhill out of the mountains. I think Loveland makes a lot of sens with the Centerra Shopping Center, but something further south like just north of E470 might be better to serve the southbound interstate traffic. Longmont exit off I25, Broomfild exit, etc. might work.

A location in Golden near the junction of C-470 and I-70 would serve everyone driving west up into the mountains on I-70 from the north, south or east. The existing Denver Supercharger really only serves eastbound I-70 traffic coming from Cheyenne or Silverthorne (or vice versa). Lone Tree helps eastbound traffic coming from Colorado Springs.

A location in Golden near the junction of C-470 and I-70 would serve everyone driving west up into the mountains on I-70 from the north, south or east. The existing Denver Supercharger really only serves eastbound I-70 traffic coming from Cheyenne or Silverthorne (or vice versa). Lone Tree helps eastbound traffic coming from Colorado Springs.
Someone heading Eastbound from Colorado Springs should take Highway 24 out of the Springs up to Limon, bypassing the Denver area entirely. When I road trip to the East in my Saturn, I take 94 out of the Springs, meeting up with I-70 in Kansas. That wouldn't work in a Tesla because the first Supercharger would be in Hays, and that's out of range.

Lone Tree helps when going between Colorado Springs and Silverthorne.

Colorado Mills might be a good spot since there are plenty of restaurants around.

Colorado Springs is all anyone needs in Colorado. We in Colorado Springs appreciate your state and local tax dollars spent here. Colorado Springs.

The Springs is nice and all but there is a lot going on in and around CSU (Fort Collins ) and UNC (Greeley). Tesla drivers visiting the area cannot do so without a CHAdeMO adapter.

A SC is needed in The Loveland/Windsor area which would service everyone who doesn't want to go to Wyoming or back to DIA.

Sorry to bring up a dead thread. I am seeing what may be future SCs outside Loveland. I saw large wooden crates with Tesla's logo and labeled 'DC SUPERCHARGER'. These were located outside the Embassy Suites hotel near Crossroads Boulevard and I-25, situated between the hotel and the Interstate.

OpenStreetMap

IMG_20161029_170155.jpg
IMG_20161029_170205.jpg
IMG_20161029_170228.jpg

Only 50 miles from the nearest SCs north and south? Unless this is a particularly busy route, it seems pointless where there are nearby routes (Nebraska) that are void of SCs.

Not so pointless for people heading towards Silverthorne supercharger from Cheyenne supercharger. That boost in Loveland can be critical especially in winter for an S60. That is quite a climb to Silverthorne. It takes 170-180 rated miles to get to Silverthorne from Fort Collins. From Cheyenne that number climbs to 210-220 rated miles. If wind picks up or temperature is very low, it gets worse. Both superchargers in Denver area are significant detours for Cheyenne to Silverthorne route and can consume lot of time with metro traffic.

Not so pointless for people heading towards Silverthorne supercharger from Cheyenne supercharger. That boost in Loveland can be critical especially in winter for an S60. That is quite a climb to Silverthorne. It takes 170-180 rated miles to get to Silverthorne from Fort Collins. From Cheyenne that number climbs to 210-220 rated miles. If wind picks up or temperature is very low, it gets worse. Both superchargers in Denver area are significant detours for Cheyenne to Silverthorne route and can consume lot of time with metro traffic.

Indeed. Diverting to Denver, CO when traveling Silverthorne, CO to Cheyenne, WY would add 21 miles.

Tesla's working on I-80 Nebraska, but Denver, CO to Lincoln, NE is 484 miles through areas of low population density. So they have to get 4 good Supercharger locations agreed, ensure they're technically possible and then build them all in challenging locations before they have anything of significant value. It's probably not easy to get their ducks in a row.

It will also be nice for people heading from Denver to westbound I80. You can grab a quick top off before hitting the 287 shortcut rather than being forced to fill up in Cheyenne. Of course, that assumes they ever get the chargers done on I80 and Rawlins gets one rather than Laramie.

Interesting. This seems to confirm shorter spacing (smaller batteries, model 3, colder winter, etc.). I think this makes the following I-80 stops predetermined: Laramie (80 mi), Rawlins (100 mi), Rock Springs (104 mi), and Evanston (108 mi). I think both Rawlins and Laramie will be required, otherwise the distance from Cheyenne might be too far in the strong, cold winter wind. Tesla's 2016 map doesn't show an extra SC in there, but I think they'll eventually come around.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave85D

Thanks @hikerockies - that makes sense - good to find this sort of local info. supercharge.info doesn't have the terrain display available but I checked Google Maps and it makes a big difference! Perhaps somewhere on the western side of Denver (Golden?) would have made a bit more sense, but I guess Tesla has to take the sites they can.

I'm in a similarly rough-terrain state and this kind of info from other locations is useful when trying to recommend charging locations to our local government.

Reactions: jbcarioca