Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northern Colorado Locations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @hikerockies - that makes sense - good to find this sort of local info. supercharge.info doesn't have the terrain display available but I checked Google Maps and it makes a big difference! Perhaps somewhere on the western side of Denver (Golden?) would have made a bit more sense, but I guess Tesla has to take the sites they can.

I'm in a similarly rough-terrain state and this kind of info from other locations is useful when trying to recommend charging locations to our local government.
Much as I'd like to see a Supercharger Station in Golden, to avoid a long detour to the current Denver airport location, the disadvantage of putting one in that general area might be heavy use by locals. Loveland is a tiny burg that would have few locals blocking the station. The Denver airport location is very inconvenient from most residential areas, so less likely to be blocked by locals. Given the problems with locals blocking Superchargers located in California metro areas, there may be a good reason for the locations that Tesla has chosen in the Colorado "Front Range" metro area. Just guessing...

The Supercharger stations also tend to be closer together in Colorado due to a combination of very mountainous terrain west of Denver and winter weather, both range killers. The route to Silverthorne passes through the Eisenhower Tunnel, elevation 11,158 ft (3,401 m). [By the way, the lowest elevation in Colorado is more than 1000 meters, near the Kansas and Nebraska borders.]

30745539906_e472c6c5cb_c.jpg

Denver Supercharger Station to Grand Junction Supercharger Station, metric units.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Much as I'd like to see a Supercharger Station in Golden, to avoid a long detour to the current Denver airport location, the disadvantage of putting one in that general area might be heavy use by locals. Loveland is a tiny burg that would have few locals blocking the station. The Denver airport location is very inconvenient from most residential areas, so less likely to be blocked by locals. Given the problems with locals blocking Superchargers located in California metro areas, there may be a good reason for the locations that Tesla has chosen in the Colorado "Front Range" metro area. Just guessing...

The Supercharger stations also tend to be closer together in Colorado due to a combination of very mountainous terrain west of Denver and winter weather, both range killers. The route to Silverthorne passes through the Eisenhower Tunnel, elevation 11,158 ft (3,401 m). [By the way, the lowest elevation in Colorado is more than 1000 meters, near the Kansas and Nebraska borders.]
Good point. While I would like one there, I would never need it myself. I live just a few minutes south of Golden and at my job in Golden we have 36 solar powered level 2 chargers. Maybe the one planned for Thornton will show up eventually.

30745539906_e472c6c5cb_c.jpg

Denver Supercharger Station to Grand Junction Supercharger Station, metric units.

What about putting one a bit further up the road at the Evergreen turnoff. It's got the amenities, although lacks the usual companies Tesla likes to partner with.

We just did a quick trip to Fort Morgan and Brush to see if we could spot any Superchargers in progress. We went to pretty much every hotel and restaurant close to I-80 but didn't spot any Superchargers or work in progress. Oh well.

We did find a new Level 2 charger at the Best Western Plus that I'll be adding to PlugShare.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
What about putting one a bit further up the road at the Evergreen turnoff. It's got the amenities, although lacks the usual companies Tesla likes to partner with.
That would work, although it is even closer to Silverthorne.

The best location would be someplace with easy access to both I-70 and I-25 since it would enhance travel along both of those corridors. But such a site might have crowding problems from locals using it for free electricity.

Since we're talking Colorado and we're going to have a supercharger at Loveland I wonder if any of you have driven from say Loveland to Grand Lake. Or even Estes. I know that 34 is undergoing reconstruction but just wondered how the energy would look like on that trip. I suspect Grand Lake has no chargers so that's a factor. Estes? Could you do a round trip from Loveland-Estes-Loveland. BTW, I know you could navigate to Denver and then come up on Grand Lack on the west side but thought it would be fun to go up and over the pass.

Loveland-Estes-Loveland is piece of cake. My roundtrip from Fort Collins to Bear Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park and back in very cold January was 112 rated miles consumed for a road distance of 111 miles in an S60. Loveland-Estes-Loveland is less than 70 miles on US34. There are two 70-amp J1772 chargers at the public library in Estes and another 3 16kW Tesla destination chargers at a restaurant in Estes. There are two 30-amp J1772 in Grand Lake and another two J1772 chargers in Winter Park as well. Loveland-Grand Lake round trip should be pretty easy.

• Informative
Reactions: 2krazykats