Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northern Ireland Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I am thinking of reserving the tesla model 3 but I have a few questions I am hoping someone could answer on here. I am from
Northern Ireland which does not have a Tesla store.

When will you be invited to design your car and pay deposit in the UK if you reserve around now?

Where do you collect new Teslas in the UK?

What is the EV grant for Teslas and is that included in the initial price, when is the grant predicted to end?

What is the predicted price for basic tesla model 3 in the UK?

If you pay the reservation, can you cancel at anytime?

Many Thanks
YoungEV

Reactions: Fellsteruk
Hey,

will aim to answer your questions.

When will you be invited to design your car and pay deposit in the UK if you reserve around now?
"Invitations will be sent based on the date and time you placed your reservation, whether you are an employee, if you own a Tesla, and if we have started production in your country."

Where do you collect new Teslas in the UK? directly from the service centers, there are many in the UK

What is the EV grant for Teslas and is that included in the initial price, when is the grant predicted to end?
£4500 off the price, not sure when the grant will finish, depends on govt

What is the predicted price for basic tesla model 3 in the UK?
£27-£35 base cost

The cost of a reservation is approximately £1,000. Please see the table below for the amount in your local currency. Note that the reservation payment is fully refundable if you cancel your reservation.

Personally I don't think it will matter whether you had a Day One Reservation, or order once its launched in the UK, its not going to be until the backlog has been cleared and Tesla bring out a right hand drive model, so once we get to that point Tesla will be producing 10K cars a week, and the total UK order book will be fulfilled reasonably quickly (although thinking about it they will have to throttle the deliveries to a rate that service centres can manage ...) ... but right now you are looking at back end of 2019 best, or maybe well into 2020 before M3 start arriving in the UK at all.

I believe it can (still) take some time to get your money back. I have no idea why, other than its (still) some sort of manual job ... I cancelled / re-ordered my MS reservation (long time ago) because I wanted the max lead time, and wanted to buy before a price increase but then the price increase was delayed. The "no quibble cancellation" turned out,k apparently, to have to be approved by a manager ... who was busy ...

But its just a moan really, nothing more, because I find Tesla's back office littered with this sort of inefficiency and I rub up against it often enough for it to be an annoyance for me personally such that I then moan about it in public.

I suspect we are going to see a lot more LHD cars shipped to European customers in Q2 so that Tesla can stay under the 200,000 car trigger for reducing the tax break they get in the USA.

No help to the UK with the need for RHD of course, but good news for everyone else in Europe...

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Not sure about Europe ... I think they are only able to stay under 200K until end of June (Q2) , so only need to "divert" until then. They have about 22,000 headroom for USA deliveries in Q2 before the 200K cutoff reached and their Q1 production was 17,980 ... so I reckon that even with M3 ramp-up Tesla will probably only need to utilise deliveries to Canada to stay under the USA limit until end June, and then all-out for deliveries in USA for Q3 - more bad news for deliveries elsewhere!

I just saw 2 charging bays at Junction 1 in Antrim Northern Ireland which had Tesla logos on the ground but were not actually superchargers (or at least didn't look like them). They looked like normal wall chargers and there was a small red sign saying "Tesla Charger" at each one.
I though it a bit strange to see them as I've only ever seen 2 Model S's here, and never a Model X. I guess each owner has their own charging bay now lol.

I just saw 2 charging bays at Junction 1 in Antrim Northern Ireland which had Tesla logos on the ground but were not actually superchargers (or at least didn't look like them). They looked like normal wall chargers and there was a small red sign saying "Tesla Charger" at each one.
I though it a bit strange to see them as I've only ever seen 2 Model S's here, and never a Model X. I guess each owner has their own charging bay now lol.

These are destination chargers. They are supplied by Tesla but usually only 1 or 2 at a time and of course they are significantly slower than superchargers (the speed varies and is typically anywhere between 7-22 kW - for comparison superchargers are up to 120 kW). Sometimes they are public, sometimes you need to be a customer (which depending on the business, can mean anything from buying a coffee to being a hotel guest). But the upside is they are *everywhere*

Here's a comparison between destination chargers (black), superchargers (red), and "coming soon" superchargers (grey).

upload_2018-4-24_20-9-17.png

People from NI who have collected in Edinburgh and driven back same day ... how did it go ? Fly(may)be in time ? Which ferry did u pick and did u have plenty of time to make it ? Did u need a supercharge en route ?!

I flew from L'Derry into Edinbrugh. 8am flight which arrived at 9am. Appointment scheduled for 10am and nice enough day so walked across to the SC. Arrived just in time for the appointment.
Finished up at the SC around 11am (longer than most due to logging of minor issue) - car came with around 90% battery. Booked the 3.30pm ferry back from Cairnryan but just in case had booked the flexi ticket in case anything went wrong - no issues. Did a few detours on the way to Cairnryan but no need to charge the car
Stopped at the M2 Applegreen for a quick half hour charge on the way home to make sure there were no issues but this was mostly a food stop :).

I flew from L'Derry into Edinbrugh. 8am flight which arrived at 9am. Appointment scheduled for 10am and nice enough day so walked across to the SC. Arrived just in time for the appointment.
Finished up at the SC around 11am (longer than most due to logging of minor issue) - car came with around 90% battery. Booked the 3.30pm ferry back from Cairnryan but just in case had booked the flexi ticket in case anything went wrong - no issues. Did a few detours on the way to Cairnryan but no need to charge the car
Stopped at the M2 Applegreen for a quick half hour charge on the way home to make sure there were no issues but this was mostly a food stop :).

Hi

Very interested in ordering a Model 3 and live near Belfast. A Couple of questions

1)Did you install a home charger and if so can you recommend a NI installer that you got the 500 pound grant with.

2)If not what sort of rate do you get from the standard plug. I read you can get 10 miles an hour

Cheers

Neil