Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northern Lake Superior Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the map on Tesla's supercharger site shows a number of planned stations above Lake Superior...but how many actually get built and when is key. They are all suggested by 2019 but Tesla is often optimistic. I need to drive from Ottawa to Dryden this summer and am really hoping enough of the superchargers are open to make the trip. I'm not sure if it's even very possible without superchargers (I'm not counting plugging in at 110v...that would be a long and painful trip)....it's pretty isolated up there

Attachments

• 2019-04-22 13_15_20-Visit a Store _ Tesla Canada.png
    2019-04-22 13_15_20-Visit a Store _ Tesla Canada.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 88
the map on Tesla's supercharger site shows a number of planned stations above Lake Superior...but how many actually get built and when is key. They are all suggested by 2019 but Tesla is often optimistic. I need to drive from Ottawa to Dryden this summer and am really hoping enough of the superchargers are open to make the trip. I'm not sure if it's even very possible without superchargers (I'm not counting plugging in at 110v...that would be a long and painful trip)....it's pretty isolated up there
I wouldn't count on future sc site. Might be best to check the Level2 chargers you can find for overnight stops.

Better pack your passport! With some luck, you will be avoid to go through the UP, thus avoiding having to drive through Chicago or take a ferry, but I think it's unlikely you will be able to make this trip entirely on the TCH with superchargers.

Having a long range Tesla will help. I was able to drive from the Ottawa supercharger to Sudbury supercharger in temps around freezing in my S100D but it wasn't easy. If Escanaba, MI gets built soon, that would help. Both Escanaba to Duluth and Duluth to Dryden are about 450km stretches. Sudbury to Escanaba is a bit longer, but the one in the Soo might get built soon and even if it doesn't, you can easily make a small L2 top off stop in that area.

Why would you use that site as opposed to Tesla's own site of announced superchargers? The supercharge.info site has no mention of most of the chargers that Tesla has planed for this route, which are clearly visible on the Tesla site.
It shows something different than Tesla's map. In addition to sites that are actually in the development process, Tesla's map includes lots of "aspirational" superchargers in locations that Tesla thinks would make a good charging spot at some point in the future even though they don't have a specific property chosen or any significant development work done for it. In the past, this has included locations that had a grey pin for 4+ years, and in every year of those the site has said that they were targeted for completion in that calendar year. It includes pins in hundreds of locations which probably won't actually be built for another 2 or 3 years from today, even though they all currently say targeted for completion in 2019. And, maybe most strangely, it also doesn't include some locations where construction is already under way. Nor does Tesla's map make any distinction between locations that are only somewhere in the planning process and ones for which construction has already started. The point being that it is not a very reliable data source for information on where superchargers will be built in the relatively near-term.

Supercharge.info shows only locations for which there is confirmation of actual development progress (permit applications, planning/zoning board meetings, etc.). As such, while it will certainly miss plenty of locations 1) where just no one has happened to stumble across it even though it can be found, 2) where none of that documentation is easily findable, or 3) where it is not published at all, when it does list a site you know there has been concrete action on it.

Basically the difference is that, in general, when it comes to setting reasonable expectations for where superchargers will be built in the next 6 months to a year, Tesla's map massively over promises and supercharge.info's under promises a bit. But sc.info's isn't really meant to be used exclusive of Tesla's map. It's meant to be a complementary product, not really a full replacement.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
I agree that the Tesla sight is WAY overoptimisitic on the timelines, and I have been pointing out how much behind schedule they are (see Ontario Supercharger 2017 Report Card - Grade is 50% (being generous)), but, at least in Ontario, eventually pretty much every location that Tesla shows on this site gets built. I could be wrong but I can't think of one that was on the map that hasn't been built in Ontario, or at least moved to an alternate location (see Stardale). That is assuming that the outsanding ones from previous years eventually get built.

The supercharge.info contains a very incomplete picture of what Tesla will be building on the North of Superior route. They show sites in Ignace, Nipigon and Terrace Bay. That leads to an island of SCs that makes no sense unless you consider the additonal SCs shown on the Tesla site.

Even supercharger.info is a tease sometimes. Brockville got the permit in June 2018 and crickets since then. Fairview/North York started construction in January and still not online. I don't even want to think of when some of the Tesla pins that don't have permits yet are going to be finished.

I agree that the Tesla sight is WAY overoptimisitic on the timelines, and I have been pointing out how much behind schedule they are (see Ontario Supercharger 2017 Report Card - Grade is 50% (being generous)), but, at least in Ontario, eventually pretty much every location that Tesla shows on this site gets built. I could be wrong but I can't think of one that was on the map that hasn't been built in Ontario, or at least moved to an alternate location (see Stardale). That is assuming that the outsanding ones from previous years eventually get built.

The supercharge.info contains a very incomplete picture of what Tesla will be building on the North of Superior route. They show sites in Ignace, Nipigon and Terrace Bay. That leads to an island of SCs that makes no sense unless you consider the additonal SCs shown on the Tesla site.
I think you are misunderstanding what supercharge.info is.

Even supercharger.info is a tease sometimes. Brockville got the permit in June 2018 and crickets since then. Fairview/North York started construction in January and still not online. I don't even want to think of when some of the Tesla pins that don't have permits yet are going to be finished.
It's not a tease. It's just reporting what information is known to the public. It is not supercharge.info's fault when construction takes a long time or a site falls through after permitting.

It's not a tease. It's just reporting what information is known to the public. It is not supercharge.info's fault when construction takes a long time or a site falls through after permitting.
I don't blame them. But I got all excited for Brockville and almost a year later nothing has happened. Not their fault. Just wish there was a better way to know what is going on.

I think you are misunderstanding what supercharge.info is.
No, I know exactly what it is. I have owned my Tesla since Jan 2014 so I am not a noob. To ignore the Tesla site and only focus on supercharge.info makes no sense for routes like this where there will obviously have to be a series of Superchargers to connect to the rest of the country.

No, I know exactly what it is. I have owned my Tesla since Jan 2014 so I am not a noob. To ignore the Tesla site and only focus on supercharge.info makes no sense for routes like this where there will obviously have to be a series of Superchargers to connect to the rest of the country.
Who said anyone was ignoring the Tesla site?

They are both valuable resources. You just have to take supercharge.info with a grain of salt. Somewhat larger quantities of salt are required for the Tesla supercharger map.

• Funny
Reactions: duanra
Who said anyone was ignoring the Tesla site?

They are both valuable resources. You just have to take supercharge.info with a grain of salt. Somewhat larger quantities of salt are required for the Tesla supercharger map.
Agreed. The way I read it when a site is added to the Tesla map is that Tesla has plans to put a SC in, or near, that location. The actual construction may be a year or more away but they are very likely to eventually be built.