Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northrup Grumman (was Orbital Sciences) Antares / Cygnus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That Orbital's 'new' Antares uses Russian-built RD-181 engines doesn't suggest this booster is remotely competitive with Falcon 9.
Does anyone know the approximate cost of an Orbital ISS resupply mission versus what SpaceX is charging?

I don't think it's inaccurate to say that the only reason NASA wants a few Orbital resupply missions in the mix is to guarantee they can continue to get supplies to ISS after a SpaceX RUD. I don't know that to be the case, so if anyone knows better, please correct.

Thinking forward a few years to when the BFR/BFS are resupplying ISS or its replacement, if SpaceX continues to have and use the last iteration of Falcon 9 for various other launches, if there was a RUD of the BFR would NASA be okay with then using a Falcon 9 until BFR was again cleared for use? I.e. NASA doesn't want all its eggs in one basket. But is that basket the specific launch vehicle or the company that builds and launches it? I don't think there has previously been any launch provider that has two proven spacecraft with overlap in LEO capacity to lead to such a question.

Good questions. I'll do my best to answer them.

Orbital seems to be getting about $200 million per launch according to all the numbers I found. The one thing I couldn't find is how much they are getting for the upcoming CRS2 contract. SpaceX averages out to $137.5 million per launch including COTS, CRS1, and CRS2 contract. Orbital is contracted for 12 launches and SpaceX is contracted for 25 launches so far. CRS 2 is more of an open ended contract with NASA having the ability to add launches as needed. CRS2 will include Sierra Nevada and the Cargo Dreamcatcher launched on an Atlas V.

NASA awards CRS2 contracts to SpaceX, Orbital ATK, and Sierra Nevada | NASASpaceFlight.com
SpaceX wins 5 new space station cargo missions in NASA contract estimated at $700 million - SpaceNews.com

Since the US Government has felt backed into a corner with ULA having a monopoly for a while, the new policy (promoted by ULA after SpaceX looked to take them out) seems to be to always have a backup launch provider. Personally I think this is a smart strategy. SpaceX would not be the backup as well as the main launch provider using the F9, FH, and the BFR. I doubt the government would be okay with SpaceX providing both duties unless they are forced to do it. I expect it will continue to be SpaceX, ULA, and Orbital providing the bulk of the US launches until the early 2020's. The wild card will be when Blue Origin finally brings the New Glenn into the market.

NASA Wallops on Twitter

Antares and Cygnus are vertical in anticipation of a CRS launch on Monday from Wallops.

Antares • OA-9
Launch window: 0839-0844 GMT (4:39-4:44 a.m. EDT)
Launch site: Pad 0A, Wallops Island, Virginia

This is the ninth resupply mission for OATK. They lost one rocket and there was one test run that did send supplies to the ISS.

What would be rather funny is if Northrop Grumman's satellite division actually found their sister launch services division more expensive than SpaceX, and either had had to use them anyway, or went ahead and snubbed them for SpaceX...

What would be rather funny is if Northrop Grumman's satellite division actually found their sister launch services division more expensive than SpaceX, and either had had to use them anyway, or went ahead and snubbed them for SpaceX...

Boeing does it, Orbital does it, Airbus does it, LM does it, ISRO does it...ESA doesn’t always launch French, NASA doesn’t always launch American...

No story here.

History. Every aerospace acquisition I can remember has argued before the Federal Trade Commission that they would be able to drop contractor pricing and/or create jobs. We all know how that has gone.

So you’re saying if someone in the space industry lays out a plan with targets and subsequently misses them, it’s reason for them to have never existed?

;)

Reactions: Grendal
So you’re saying if someone in the space industry lays out a plan with targets and subsequently misses them, it’s reason for them to have never existed?

;)
No. Just that aerospace mergers and acquisitions (not unlike other industries) are done for one purpose only - increase profit. Buying out smaller competitors is a longer term strategy for just that. Coming up with other narratives is just disingenuous.

Last edited:
Two more launches - maybe:

NG-18
NG-19

Although I wish this could be corrected in weeks to months, I fear it will be months to years.

Although I wish this could be corrected in weeks to months, I fear it will be months to years.
Actually, I think, Antares is probably done. They hopefully have everything needed for the last two launches. The contract is over with NASA anyway. I suppose it's possible that Cygnus could launch on something else. They'd have to work out something with NASA though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
Antares 300 from Firefly and NG is in development.

Article on second to last CRS launch:

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare and bxr140