Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northwest Auto Salon Xpel quote-comments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nevek

Overt Member
Apr 30, 2014
Seattle
Here is what NW quoted for paint protection. Are these prices comparable to what others have paid? Any discounts or other shops recommended?
" The cost for the Full Frontal option is $1895 and takes us 2 days to complete. The full vehicle coverage is $7000 and takes us 5 business days. If you are looking to do the Stealth Xpel, the cost is $7500 and takes us 7 business days to complete. Other options popular with our Tesla clientele, is the new car detail (as they all need it) is $325, Chrome "delete" vinyl installation is $1800 for the exterior chrome to be wrapped in your choice of material, as well as our heat rejection window tint film; Prestige Photosync, from $600-1095 (all windows incl. windshield and pano roof). If you end up going with just the Full Frontal, we could also protect the remaining paint for up to 5 years utilizing one of our coating systems/options by Gtechniq ($375-1295)"

I used Metropolitan Detail which offers good quality and prices very similar to what you quote.

One quick opinion: I do not think you need additional tint on the pano roof. Seems fine to me and have seen quotes from owners in the SW who do not think it is needed. I have tinted the other windows (but not the front windshield) and appreciate it. But I also take road trips to desert climates.

Prices look typical to me for the area. I've used Accutint Bellevue for my S85 and 85D. I had full front Xpel Ultimate, Opticoat and 30% ForumlaOne Pinacle Tint. For tint I did the side windows and the rear but not the windshield or the pano.

As a follow-up, I had Northwest do full front Xpel coverage with added "A" pillar and rear bumper top, with Gtechniq applied to the the exposed paint. They got me in as a priority for a new car and were able to get the job completed prior to a planned upcoming road trip. The owner, Blake, is a serious car enthusiast and has an interesting collection of vehicles that include a Citroen and a perfectly restored VW van.

Photosync tint will be applied once I get back from my trip, as those slots were all booked up and was less critical before my long trip.

I highly recommend checking out their Lynnwood shop if you are looking for quality work and vehicle finish advice. Blake is very responsive via email.

I had NW Auto Salon tint my last Tesla with Photosync. Cost me upwards of 800 dollars, not including the windshield. Called Accutint (the one right next to the Tesla service center) and they charge $600 for formula one, including the windshield. Can get darker than Photosync as well (going to do 15% on side and rears, and 80% on windshield).

Can't believe how much cheaper it is. NW Auto Salon does great work, but I think on many services they over charge. $7000+ for a full wrap is insane. I have seen well done jobs for half that price...

Called Accutint (the one right next to the Tesla service center) and they charge $600 for formula one, including the windshield.

You might want to be a tad more explicit about which Accutint. Both Seattle and Bellevue are pretty close to the service center and neither are "right next to" the service center in the literal sense.

Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 7.29.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 7.30.27 PM.png

I went into NW AutoSalon to have them do an XPEL Standard Kit Install (a partial frontal), and for an XPEL Customer cover over the rear bumper. I had a mishap with loading my mountain bike and i found out the hard way that it lacked any protection at all.

I had a quote for $895 to do the Standard Kit install plus a couple hundred to address the bumper issue (XPEL + Cut and Compound).

I honestly didn't have the money for anything else because lately it's just been one thing after another. From the HPWC, the circuit installation, the Chademo, and now this. Not to mention the downpayment for the car. To say my wallet needed a rest is an understatement.

I wasn't in the position for any surprises because I was on a budget.

But, then on the visa receipt there was a tip section. I honestly didn't even think about tipping. Maybe I should have, but this isn't something I generally do. Sure I've had cars detailed by one man operations. In those cases I didn't even think about it. Some people are natural tippers and some people detest the entire tipping industry. I kind of detest it because it leads to all sorts of unfairness. It also leads to companies paying their employees extremely poorly. In a professional sense I do find the idea of tipping a bit insulting. This isn't some band raising money doing a car wash. This is a $1K+ plus install of a product that requires a highly trained talented individual that has skills I don't. You better damn well pay him/her well.

I looked at it knowing I had NO IDEA whether he did a good job or not. I wasn't going to know that for up to 7 days. Sure they seemed to know what they were doing, and the front looked good. The back still had the scratch, but it would have taken a miracle to remove it.
I was kinda irked so I left it blank. The total was $1160
But, then I didn't want to be a jerk so I grabbed the $80 or $100 I had in my wallet and left that as the tip. It was well under the recommended 15% of the total.

So now I ask my fellow NW Tesla owners what should I have done?
What's typical? Do they typically have that at shops around here?

I might get a tint at some future time when my wallet is healthier. But, it's likely going to the same situation where I have no idea how good of a job they do until AFTER I have the car home.

I can understand why they'd have this on there because for a detailing/wash it does make sense. Maybe it's just not really applicable for an XPEL install or for an expensive TINT install. When I looked at what people paid no one mentioned tipping.

Don't sweat it. I'm sure the tip section is there for tipping the detailers/washers, and the credit card machine only prints a single type of receipt.

A window tint or xpel install is a fixed cost, professional install. I wouldn't consider tipping for that, unless they did something really above and beyond.